Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

changing tires out...Tire Pressure Sensors too ?

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

OK, bought a set of Pirelli's in the OEM size, they are the Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assemetro . Haven't put them on yet; anticipate doing so in June or so. My X has 67 K on the clock. Not sure of the tire history, but pretty much figure there have been at least two sets on the car before the ones I am going to put on.

Since I don't know the tire history, do I change out the tire pressure sensors? What is their life span? Have not had any issues with the ones in my X. Do the tire change places program them to the car or is that a dealer thing?

Bill

I’d go for replacing them. The battery lasts on average 7 years, so yours are are likely living on borrowed time. I’m pretty sure the tire shop can program it, we’ve got the “tools” to do it ourselves so I’m not positive about the shops. :wave:

I would. I am going to get better tires on mine and will replace all 4, as occasionally the "witches cauldron" (thats what my wife thought the TPMS indicator looked like!) says my driver front is FLAT (which it is not) and thus gives me warnings about 55mph max speed. I didn't test it, I wonder if the XLR will limit my speed??

My Two Cents Worth : )

While I have an ancient manual tire machine in my garage. Lots of work and not 'simple'. --- So now I just take all my vehicles to Discount Tire. Last time they did a TPMS Sensor for me they charged $35.00. In fact they put on four new Bridgestone Speed Rated Run Flats last year on our XLR before the Bowling Green Rally last September. On the sensors, since it's a simple fix at Discount, on my truck, 3 years ago they replaced 'only' the one that had taken a dump. None of the others have failed since. --- In short, my opinion (?), "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." :cool:

Batteries in the TPMS sensors have a finite battery life typically around 10 years. Trying to get them to last longer will only end up in having to replace them at an inopportune time. It takes a couple of presses on the remote to start the programming and a 30$ programmer. Nothing to it. Replace the tires and if you haven't replaced the sensors during your ownership, I'd get new ones installed.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom