Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Chirping belt

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
My 04 has a belt that sounds like crickets in the woods. I replaced the belts 2 years ago so I doubt their bad. Any thoughts what might cause this? I thought there might be a TSB on this but I can't find it.

What kind of belt did you replace it with? The reason I ask is because I had the same issue last year since I replaced the belt so after doing some research I ended up going with a Gatorback...The corvette's had the same issue and I can swear by it! It will be the only belt you should put on. It is made by good year. You should now test and find out which one is squealing by putting a little oil/water and if the noise goes away that's the one. DO NOT USE BELT DRESSING TRYING TO MASK THE PROBLEM! The reason it is sounding like that is because the belt needs to be changed.

Now if you do that little test like I told you on both belts and the noise is still there then it can be a pully causing the sound. Let me know if you got any additional questions! :blinzel:

What kind of belt did you replace it with? The reason I ask is because I had the same issue last year since I replaced the belt so after doing some research I ended up going with a Gatorback...The corvette's had the same issue and I can swear by it! It will be the only belt you should put on. It is made by good year. You should now test and find out which one is squealing by putting a little oil/water and if the noise goes away that's the one. DO NOT USE BELT DRESSING TRYING TO MASK THE PROBLEM! The reason it is sounding like that is because the belt needs to be changed.

Now if you do that little test like I told you on both belts and the noise is still there then it can be a pully causing the sound. Let me know if you got any additional questions! :blinzel:

Thanks. I'll try that.

Thanks. I'll try that.
Thanks Tonypro. You saved me a lot of money. I sprayed the belts and it quit. My mechanic said I needed belts, Idler, and tensioner. I ordered the gatorback belts. We'll see how that works. Thanks Again.

It's no problem helping you out. A little background I use to be a mechanic for Corvette all the way up to 2006. So I know a lot about the XLR's and the Corvettes and truth be told 98% of mechanics out there will rip you off and it's a real shame they are like that but I guess in this day and age everyone is trying to make a fast buck. Well I'm sure they will get it coming to them 1 day or another.

Well back to the XLR it's fairly daunting putting the belts on but should take no more then 90 mins. If you are not up to it I would suggest taking it to someone and ask for a flat-fee before hand since you don't want to be told it took 4 hours when in fact the book calls for 1.4 hours for both belts. If you want the instructions then PM with your email and I will send them to you. Any other questions please ask.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom