Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Compacitor in tail light

Steve O'

Hey all,

Last year I had my tail light rebuilt but it wasn’t the LED’s, it was the compacitor inside. Vettronix was able to source one but I think it may have been an old part. Back to the dim lights on top. Anyone know if this part can be ordered new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_9398.JPG

parts

no new parts available ,He told me he had these new that he was using to replace them. but later I heard he cleaned and resoldered what was needed. I know there are not parts for themDSCN5588.jpg
is it the upper side light hat is dim? most of the ones I see that light does not work and people don't even know its there.

It’s really just the upper lights that illuminate barely. The rest stay dark because they are not getting the voltage they need, so I’ve been told.

When one fails they will all start to fail. It is over my pay grade to understand but so I have read. That is a problem with the LED units themselves. I would contact vetteronics to have it repaired. he said he stands behind his work.

When one fails they will all start to fail. It is over my pay grade to understand but so I have read. That is a problem with the LED units themselves. I would contact vetteronics to have it repaired. he said he stands behind his work.

the best is to replace ALL other wise you screw your self since you replace burned out one only then you still have the old ones..

I bet he buys sylvania LED bulbs(the ones you buy at auto part store) and the strips the parts from the off the shelf LEDS (better then the cheap junk on ebay)
sylvania LEDS are high quality leds

It's actually not hard to solder

and replace them your self for pennies on the dollar (compared to paying someone)
this is surface mount which is easy I think it can be done for about 150 to 175 (the welder iron is the most expensive though) about 125 for a good one (DON"T use cheap 5$ mains input one those will damage the PCB in the tail light since it's a single layer printed circuit board)
a good temperature controlled one will be will do the job good

All the internal parts are replacabe but i.e PCB (EASY to Copy ) the issue is the cost for low production plus the risk of getting sued by gm since PCB are copyrighted protected.. But you can do your own PCB it just has to be different ( not very hard to do "single sided work")

and the work is outsourced to china for the PCB that is the way around it

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry