Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Computer location

Hi,
Well, a XLR (and most modern cars) run with a local area network (LAN) of computers (modules) and so best would be to maybe state what your car is or isn't doing? :)

I believe there are 26 “computers” in the XLR. The Body control module maybe considered the main one? It’s under the fuse box in the engine compartment I believe, could be wrong on that thought. Might be under the passenger toe kick panel.

When I have it reset it goes back to reading normal. After maybe 1 or 2 months it starts to mess up again. This has been going on for 3 years or so. 2 times when it was reset it worked for about 6 months. It's driving me crazy. Thought it might be the main computer. If there is such a thing?😒

Hi again,
Curiosity got the better of me and so I looked it up. In this case <ouch>, the Engine Control Module or the Instrument Panel Cluster could be the ultimate bits at fault, however there's a shipload of testing that has to be done before getting to that, not to mention they would have to be programmed accordingly.

Hope this helps - I've copied the basic diagnostic pages for you to review, and I hope you can see that it's not just a 'plug and play' sort of issue. This sort of problem requires special tools and a fair quantity of time and patience. If you feel you have the savvy and equipment, well, dive right in I guess. Otherwise consider finding a dealer with a known reputation dealing with these cars or alternatively... just keep the tank full best as you can?

Gord

</ouch>

Attachments

• 8-345.jpg
    8-345.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 8-346.jpg
    8-346.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 8-347.jpg
    8-347.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 211
Common failure part of the fuel system is the tank level float in each tank. Corvettes have the same problem, wipers on the float wear/get dirty and cause erroneous readings.

I had a problem with my fuel gauge as well. You can spend a couple of grand to drop both tanks and replace the fuel senders or you can take a longer term approach. Switch your fuel to Shell Premium and dump a bottle of Chevron Techron every second or third tankful. After a few months your problem should be solved. Solved my problem and it never returned. My understanding is sulfer builds up on the sender resistive element. The detergent in Shell premium and Techron are supposed to remove the build up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I had a problem with my fuel gauge as well. You can spend a couple of grand to drop both tanks and replace the fuel senders or you can take a longer term approach. Switch your fuel to Shell Premium and dump a bottle of Chevron Techron every second or third tankful. After a few months your problem should be solved. Solved my problem and it never returned. My understanding is sulfer builds up on the sender resistive element. The detergent in Shell premium and Techron are supposed to remove the build up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Agree with Steve on above post. Many Corvette owners also claim STAR TRON works very well to keep the tanks and sender in good working order. I've been using this product in several cars w/o any gauge issues

s-l1000.jpg

Thanks to all of you. My mechanic kinda thought is was the sending units in the tanks. I use nothing but Shell V-Power in all my cars. I have used the chevron before, maybe I will use it more often before going for the big ticket of replacing the sending units. Just don't understand when I clear and resist the codes it works fine for sometimes weeks. Thanks again.😀

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom