Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Convertible Top Question...

rcg1024

When I engage the convertible top button, the motor works and the top begins to retract. The problem is that the find stage when to the deck is supposed to close, it stays in the up position. I can hear the motor working, but it stays up. However, when I release the button and press it again, the deck then closes.
Same thing when I'm closing the top... everything works, but the windows won't roll up. Again, I release the button and press it again, then the windows roll up the process is completed.
The motor sounds fine and the top goes up and down swiftly... doesn't sound like its struggling or challenged. Any suggestions as to what this could be? Could this be a fluid/hydraulic pump issue? Thanks for any suggestions!

When I engage the convertible top button, the motor works and the top begins to retract. The problem is that the find stage when to the deck is supposed to close, it stays in the up position. I can hear the motor working, but it stays up. However, when I release the button and press it again, the deck then closes.
Same thing when I'm closing the top... everything works, but the windows won't roll up. Again, I release the button and press it again, then the windows roll up the process is completed.
The motor sounds fine and the top goes up and down swiftly... doesn't sound like its struggling or challenged. Any suggestions as to what this could be? Could this be a fluid/hydraulic pump issue? Thanks for any suggestions!
Everything seems to work, you may just need a top relearn .
John F.

Is that something I have to go to the dealer for or is there an alternative route? Thanks JF!

Is that something I have to go to the dealer for or is there an alternative route? Thanks JF!

When I put the top up I let go of the top button and put the windows up with the power window switches. I have always done that and you could too. If I was you I would keep putting the top down the way you have but if the problem expands I think you need to get someone to do a relearn. It may fix itself.
Where in California are you ?
John F.

First off the windows are not part of the main cycle, if you want the windows to go up...what your doing by pressing the button again is how they operate! As for the deck (I’m assuming you mean the trunk lid) my did that again this past spring, sometimes it repairs it’s self as driving the car, it may relearned it’s self, but there been a few times in the past where I had the Dealership do a relearn and that fixed it for me! If you know of someone that has the Tech 2 Reader, they can preform a relearn! Good Luck! And hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the top sensors is getting weak. If the top stops halfway during a cycle (either up or down) and a second push of the top button completes the cycle, a relearn will most likely solve the problem. When the top completes the cycle up, a second push of the top button will raise both windows. A dealer will cost you about 150$ for a diagnostic test and top relearn. Unless you have someone with a TECH II that can do it for you. Along with several others on here, we bought our own TECH II devices to do this ourselves

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom