Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Coolant leak! Then Stopped

05 GRAND DADDY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR
Went into a store tonight for about a 1/2 hour came back out and coolant was running down in front of the car. Got a flashlight and it looked like it was dripping from right in the middle of the motor and it was about every 20 - 30 seconds. So I checked the reserve tank and it was still some in it so drove across parking lot to a Target an got 2.5 gallon of water. Put it in the trunk just in case and headed home about a 8 mile drive. Got home pulled in the garage got out a shop light look underneath no leaks or drips any where. Did maybe something get hot an release that much coolant? :dunno: I'm still going to take and get it checked out just wondering why it would stop leaking it was a large enough puddle at the store to run out from under the front end on the parking lot enough to see it was a large puddle? :dunno: Any Ideals why it not leaking now?
Caddyman Dan

I've been a mechanic for 15yrs and seen this happen a couple times. Over the winter had a piece of equipment leaking minor from the two engine halves. Where it was leaking is the water pump housing. Purchased all gaskets and when ready to fix(spring) started, drove over to the shop. To my surprise their was no more Leaking. I went through and retorqued all bolts after it was warmed up. We've been running the machine for 3 weeks no leaks. I chalked it up to the metals expanding with the warmer temps. The engine block is aluminum and it will expand and contract a lot. If it was leaking I would say the gasket has probably been compromised. If it's under warranty I would get it fixed. Even if not the summer heat will pop it when you least expect no good.

coolant leak

Sure it wasn't the air conditioner condensation????

Went into a store tonight for about a 1/2 hour came back out and coolant was running down in front of the car. Got a flashlight and it looked like it was dripping from right in the middle of the motor and it was about every 20 - 30 seconds. So I checked the reserve tank and it was still some in it so drove across parking lot to a Target an got 2.5 gallon of water. Put it in the trunk just in case and headed home about a 8 mile drive. Got home pulled in the garage got out a shop light look underneath no leaks or drips any where. Did maybe something get hot an release that much coolant? :dunno: I'm still going to take and get it checked out just wondering why it would stop leaking it was a large enough puddle at the store to run out from under the front end on the parking lot enough to see it was a large puddle? :dunno: Any Ideals why it not leaking now?
Caddyman Dan

Sure it wasn't the air conditioner condensation????

No it wasn't - I'm sure it was not AC water dripping it was coolant could also smell the hot coolant also low coolant dash display came on today. They just fixed some crossover gasket about 2 month ago so I'm going have it check on Monday!
Caddyman Dan

I had the very same thing happen to my 2005, but with the exception that mine started leaking again. I took it to the dealer and they said the water pump was leaking. The car was just out of date for the warranty, but under on miles so the regional rep approved the fix under warranty. The dealer then said the radiator was cracked and the water pump was back and replaced both.

I was suspicious of the change after the warranty was approved and am hoping that yours might only be some gaskets (if it does start up again). They charged $1200+ for the radiator and water pump replacemnet.

Water pump it is

Just as I thought! Pressure test prove it to be the water pump leaking. Sure am glad I got the Route 66 aftermarket warranty! Onced again will pay for all but labor time to find the problem and the coolant they will need to add (just had it changed in March) so they can reuse what still left over! :rocker:
Caddyman Dan

Great to here they were able to take care of ya. Sounds like the route 66 is paying of for you.have you ever had problems with them on claims? All sealed up for summer have fun!

Great to here they were able to take care of ya. Sounds like the route 66 is paying of for you.have you ever had problems with them on claims? All sealed up for summer have fun!

No never! they don't pay for everything but so far they have been awesome. The nice part is u don't deal with them the repair shop calls them and they apply the balance of the bill that they are paying to a credit card your repair shop gets paid instantly! So there is no time issues where anybody is waiting to get paid. The last repair the repair was paid by them before I paid my part of the bill no worries if they would get paid or would have to wait on the money from Route66 then I would end up paying if they would not paid right away!:rocker:
It cost me $1699.00 5yrs. Or 100,000 mi. But they have paid $400. From last bill already and it's only 1 yr. come this June plus what ever this bill cost! I may out do my miles before time she has 64400 as of this week :dunno: Should have her back on Tuesday!
Caddyman Dan

I had the very same thing happen to my 2005, but with the exception that mine started leaking again. I took it to the dealer and they said the water pump was leaking. The car was just out of date for the warranty, but under on miles so the regional rep approved the fix under warranty. The dealer then said the radiator was cracked and the water pump was back and replaced both.

I was suspicious of the change after the warranty was approved and am hoping that yours might only be some gaskets (if it does start up again). They charged $1200+ for the radiator and water pump replacemnet.

Cadiblk:
Sorry :( to here that the dealer shafted you like that I'd been pretty :mad: fired up! I believed I would of contacted the Caddy Corp. I am glad as I mention in the other post that I have the Route 66 aftermaket Ins.
For more info read my other post .
Caddyman Dan

Route66 Happy customer again!

Well bought the Caddy back home today and I'm super happy all the way again with Route66 the total bill was 421.09 my cost was 109.09 that was for the coolant, diagnose pressure test and part of that cost was for the last time it was in they put some die in the oil so they blacklight checked the motor for any oil leaks while it was there and lucky no leaks was visible anywhere. As Stella said "All sealed up for summer have fun!" :rocker:
Caddyman Dan :wave:

Cadiblk:
Sorry :( to here that the dealer shafted you like that I'd been pretty :mad: fired up! I believed I would of contacted the Caddy Corp. I am glad as I mention in the other post that I have the Route 66 aftermaket Ins.
For more info read my other post .
Caddyman Dan

I probably miswrote my statement. The regional Cadillac warrant manager was very helpful by approving the fix even though I was over my warranty period by a few weeks (still under miles). What made me suspicious is how the dealer found more items that were, "needing repair" once they learned the GM was paying for the repair. I am not sure how the process works, but I am guessing the local dealer gets paid from GM based upon parts costs, labor, etc for warranty repairs.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom