Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! DEAD IN THE WATER

Hello

I had the same pronlem with my 2005 XLR, I tried everything. I changed both pumps with GM pumps and also, the tube that connect the pumps, and the fuel lines the o rings were worn out and that resolved me problem. After changing O2 sensors, Computer, fuel filter, checking ground. Give me a call 8032690514 if I can help.

There's also a thread around here about similar symptoms being caused by a bad ground. Good to search for that thread. Helped a couple people.

Hi all...follow up on what started this thread and hopefully an end to this issue..Was having the main fuel pump changed when the dealer called and told me when they dropped the fuel tank, there was contaminents inside as well.....I own her for about a year now...Do not know much about previous owner"s care of her......I purchased her thru a Dealer... But I pamper her and do not put that much milage on her.....use what I think is good gas:Shell -V...never let the tank go anywhere near empty...
She felt fine to me when driving until she died on the highway..Ergo..DEAD IN THE WATER:)
So that being said..I had them drop the other tank..make sure the whole system was cleaned out..Had both fuel pumps changed...Changed all hoses and connections..Basically a new Fuel system..
Major job..major amount of time to do..major expense even with the extended warrantee, but so worth it..
She has always felt fine to me ,as I just cruise along nice and easy ,not a speed freak or someone to push a car to any limits, but I can now feel the power waiting to explode.....Great ride as we all know
Hope this saga somehow helps someone that may think has similar issues..

Back in 2008 or 9, I had a simular problem with my XLR. It was a typical SoCal 74deg. afternoon and I was seating at a Stop Light on Manhattan Beach and when the light changed, released my foot brake and stepped on the gas pedal but the engine did not increase RPMs as it was supposed to. I could only do about 20 MPH so I got over to the right side, out of traffic, put the car in Park and tried to rev the engine up but it would only rev from about 750 to 1200 RPMs.

I started to call AAA but before I could get their phone number from my card, had a call come in on the car's phone from Onstar telling me they had put my car in "Limb Mode" because they had a request to do that because an XLR with a VIN just one number different than mine was "CarJacked". = Reason #1 for cancelling Onstar!

I have had several other electrical problems within the first couple of years of ownership which were mostly due to loose negative battery post connection.

This last problem I had, "Folding Top Works, Trunk Lid will not work by its self." had to have the FTC relearned/reprogrammed/refreshed (whatever you want to call it) with a Tech 2 Scan tool.

Help! DEAD IN THE WATER

Hi all...realized that I did not give a follow thru to this thread I started..Usually like to as others may gain something from someone else's experience...I know I have...
Extended Warranty company said they need proof that it was not working ,,,They sent an adjuster down to the dealership...could not duplicate the problem...Kept it a month....gave it back unrepaired..
I was concerned about driving her as felt she was a time bomb to break down again.....I was soon after able to support the fact that the Fuel Pump on the drivers side was going bad...it was a tough fight ..was intermittent.....I sent them a video my Mechanic did with a guage attached to the car that showed the needle..presure , going down when foot on the gas...not up as suppose too ...they agreed , so it was paid for by my extended warranty...
When the tank was dropped...it turns out it was full of contaminents ....which came first?????.so had the other fuel pump changed,the lines changed and the tanks taken care of..Was a major job
Running better than ever now...
Thanks to my fellow enthusiasts for your thoughts...

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back