Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! DEAD IN THE WATER

JW7

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR.... 2001 DTS...2009 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET
Morning all fellow enthusiasts ...Was driving in traffic on an unseasonably hot New York day but not caring because it was top down XLR time when I put my foot on the gas and the car started to rumble...Dash board lit up and in the end, the check engine light came on and stayed on...
When put foot on gas went forward slightly..no power ....
Managed to get off the highway and waited for a tow.....Let the car sit then started it up and while the check engine light was still on and did not reset,I attempted to get closer to home.....seemed fine.. ..got about 1/2 mile stopped for a light and the same thing happened,,...,rumble and no power.....Seemed like if I went slow...kept the RPM'S down and did not stop ..went a distance....if at stop ..no power....like the fuel pump was overheating if that is possible...
Towed to dealer...was told at idle have about 60% power but on acceleration drops to 15 % probably a fuel pump issue but have to wait till Monday to check out further as was a late Friday ..
Anyone with similar experience or thoughts about this..Appreciate the imput..J

This sounds like a typical fuel pump problem. It's located in the left side tank, so it's a PITA to get at. There are fuel regulators and check valves in the fuel system, but your symptoms align with a faulty pump or intermittent pump ground.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks CClarke...you are usually spot on in diagnosing.. I'm kind of thought may be the Fuel Pump, but the fuel system is complex and thinking could be anything..AT the dealer so we'll find out soon enough
Will follow up as to results so maybe will help others in the future
Thank you again...J

Morning all fellow enthusiasts ...Was driving in traffic on an unseasonably hot New York day but not caring because it was top down XLR time when I put my foot on the gas and the car started to rumble...Dash board lit up and in the end, the check engine light came on and stayed on...
Managed to get off the highway and waited for a tow.....Let the car sit then started it up and while the check engine light was still on and did not reset,I attempted to get closer to home.....seemed fine.. ..got about 1/2 mile stopped for a light and the same thing happened,,...,rumble and no power.....Seemed like if I went slow...kept the RPM'S down and did not stop ..went a distance....if at stop ..no power....like the fuel pump was overheating if that is possible...
Towed to dealer...was told at idle have about 60% power but on acceleration drops to 15 % probably a fuel pump issue but have to wait till Monday to check out further as was a late Friday ..

Did you fix the problem? My XLR did the same. I changed both fuel pumps, make sure you get GM pumps, also I changed the fuel lines because the O rings were worn that will cause it to loose pressure. Also make sure the crossover line from both tanks isnt damaged. I changed that as well. The fuel lines could be the problem. But I changed all three things.

Your CPU has issues. Sometimes simply disconnecting the battery, negative post will fix the problem. Make sure your top is up and locked before disconnecting the battery.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

While the pump is higher on my list of likely cause, check the filter first, though given it sits in the tank, maybe there isn't much advantage.

Hi all..an update...the dealership cannot find nor duplicate the issue that brought me there in the first place.....She is still there being checked over but I was told they had her hooked to a pressure gage and took her out on the road and nothing...no pressure drop...let her sit and run and then accelerate..no pressure drop..sure they checked the relay and system overall
I"m never happy when issue cannot be found...feels like a time bomb ready to happen again..
Thoughts?......J

[emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
DEAD IN THE WATER...UPDATE

Hi all...Well after a week of being at the dealer ...the issue is still not resolved...problem here is that I have an extended warrantee that will cover the replacement of fuel pump and whatever else may be involved but will not do the repair unless the problem can be duplicated ..Dealer has tried to do that and it just has not happened..hooked up gauges ..drove it and drove it..let it sit ..drove it some more...Warrantee company had an adjuster down to check things out and they denied the claim..I am not anywhere near mechanically inclined to do any repairs like this on my own so I am at the mercy of others..We all know that this is a costly repair....If I have the coverage I do not want to do anything out of pocket for that reason..
I am thinking that I will be breaking down again if it is an intermittent problem or Does anyone think something could have reset itself within the fuel system ?..perhaps not the fuel pump itself causing the issue..
any thoughts as always would be appreciated. Thanks...J

Unfortunately, this appears to be an intermittent problem which is nearly impossible to fix if it doesn't reoccur while troubleshooting. Paying for troubleshooting (which at this point becomes an exercise in visual inspection if there are no codes, or weird noises to track down) can become a very expensive proposition. I feel your pain, having been on the other side of the fence when having to justify why I spent hours, days, or weeks troubleshooting an intermittent problem with minimal symptoms to go on. In the end, it was always something weird that made sense, but was at the bottom of the list of where one would normally look, and sometimes, it was plain, dumb luck that I found the problem. Guessing has never worked for me. Completely understanding how a system is supposed to work is the key to fixing it when it doesn't.

Other than inspecting electrical connector faces to ensure they're mating properly, cleaning and tightening grounds, checking fuse connections, and inspecting wiring harnesses for chaffing or other visible damage, --until a component fails hard, you could be fighting this one for awhile. Being a vehicle, and a fuel-related fault, your chances of being stuck on the side of the road are always a possibility, which destroys the credibility and enjoyment of driving it. Like a weapon that jams sometimes - it's pretty much useless for it's intended purpose. Short of blanketing the vehicle with accelerometers to measure and record vibration, connecting gauges to measure pressure and leaving a scanner connected full time to catch any changes in normal operating parameters, you're in a real bind.

If the shop can't find the cause, I would flog the car (nearby) and try to get the fuel delivery system to fail. If you can determine a way to somehow recreate the fault, then it can be diagnosed, repaired, and properly tested to guarantee your peace of mind.

Hang in there!

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Dead in Water

Jw7
I would reaiiy check out that rear ground. Symptoms like yours have been found to be a bad rear ground to the fuel pump. Search it out on this forum to get all specifics. Ground that usually causes the problem is located near rear drivers wheel well on frame. Reset it sure couldn't hurt.
V Happy:thumbsup

Hi all...a further update on this thread
Got my baby back from the dealer without the necessary repair..They said they could not duplicate the problem therefore the extended warrantee will not cover it..if it ain't broken..they will not fix it..Told if I can get the mechanic to video it losing pressure .., they would have no need to send an adjuster down..
Decided to make her my daily ride in hopes of getting it to reoccur .. Refuse to be driving a vehicle constantly thinking it will brake down at some point..
Stayed off the highways with the thought of having to get a flatbed if sidelined...
Have a local station that does work on my other cars..They have a certified BMW tech there that really knows his way around cars..He has been the most helpful in the minor xlr issues ..He also has a love of cars and respects them ...
Besides checking the ground...cleaning it up...he hooked up my engine to pressure gage and took a video of my baby losing pressure on acceleration ...something the Caddy dealership was unable to do, having my car there for a week..
Sent the video to the warrantee company and waiting for a response.
More to follow..

Interesting Diagnosis. So is/was the fule pump?

Hi all...a further update on this thread
Got my baby back from the dealer without the necessary repair..They said they could not duplicate the problem therefore the extended warrantee will not cover it..if it ain't broken..they will not fix it..Told if I can get the mechanic to video it losing pressure .., they would have no need to send an adjuster down..
Decided to make her my daily ride in hopes of getting it to reoccur .. Refuse to be driving a vehicle constantly thinking it will brake down at some point..
Stayed off the highways with the thought of having to get a flatbed if sidelined...
Have a local station that does work on my other cars..They have a certified BMW tech there that really knows his way around cars..He has been the most helpful in the minor xlr issues ..He also has a love of cars and respects them ...
Besides checking the ground...cleaning it up...he hooked up my engine to pressure gage and took a video of my baby losing pressure on acceleration ...something the Caddy dealership was unable to do, having my car there for a week..
Sent the video to the warrantee company and waiting for a response.
More to follow..

I'm a bit behind the curve in weighing in here, but was the problem the fuel pump? --- Last summer I had a similar set of circumstances in my truck. Fuel injected with individual cylinder coils. It was on a 'hot day'. Turned out it was running too hot and began boiling the gas in the lines before it reached the injectors. Turned the engine of immediately on occurrence, opened the hood and let it cool. Long wait. Ugh. Ended up installing a new radiator, and at the same time did the water pump and all hoses and a new serpentine belt. Truck had right at 100K miles on it at the time. --- Please advise? Was it the fuel pump, i.e., 'beginning to fail' that your Mercedes Tech found?

Understand, I am not that mechanically but since owning my baby..I am becoming an apt pupil...I am learning and of course relying on those with a good knowledge base of cars.. I was initially in a ton of stop and go traffic when I lost power...never shut down completely but went no where..she shuddered at times... chugged along till I was luckily near an exit ..there was so little power that I had difficulty getting up the exit ramp..
I have been led to believe it is a fuel pump on its way out..it overheated and failed..It shows classic pump failure..Full pressure at idle..a big drop in pressure when accelerating...
The fuel system in this car is complex ..When at the dealer, not even sure of what diagnostics they may have done but they came up with nothing....

Intermittent Problems The Hardest To Diagnose For Sure

Understand, I am not that mechanically but since owning my baby..I am becoming an apt pupil...I am learning and of course relying on those with a good knowledge base of cars.. I was initially in a ton of stop and go traffic when I lost power...never shut down completely but went no where..she shuddered at times... chugged along till I was luckily near an exit ..there was so little power that I had difficulty getting up the exit ramp..
I have been led to believe it is a fuel pump on its way out..it overheated and failed..It shows classic pump failure..Full pressure at idle..a big drop in pressure when accelerating...
The fuel system in this car is complex ..When at the dealer, not even sure of what diagnostics they may have done but they came up with nothing....

In a complete no start or no run situation problem is easier to diagnose than an intermittent issue like this. To check a fuel pump in 'no start or run' have someone turn the car on into the start mode at the switch like you are actually going to start it(but not cranking it over) while someone listens at the gas tank with the cap off to see if they can hear the 'fuel pump energize'. It will make a slight a humming sound if working. If no sound, then check the fuses and the relay. If the relay clicks when ignition is switched on (located in the under hood fuse box), it is OK in most cases. Then hook a fuel pressure gauge to The Schrader Valve on the fuel rail and crank the car trying to start, while someone observes recorded pressure against specification. If no pressure, or pressure is low, replace the fuel pump.

Is it possible for a fuel injected vehicle to "Vapor Lock" on a hot day? The answer is yes, it is possible particularly if running hot to begin with. What is Vapor Lock? The fuel has boiled in the line before reaching the injectors (or carburetor) causing an airlock in the fuel system. I.e, the gas is not in liquid form for the injectors to vaporize the fuel, as is their job. This is what happened on my truck last summer on a very hot day. Turned out that the radiator was failing and the hot day pushed it 'over the edge'. The symptoms on occurrence was that it, lost power. Started surging and bucking getting only partial liquid fuel to the injectors. After it finally cooled down enough (watched the temp gauge with key on without starting engine), it then started and ran fine to get me home.

Please advise us all if you have found the cause yet? Thanks

DEAD IN THE WATER..

Hi all.....well after a week of talking to numerous people at the extended warrantee company..pleading, sometimes loudly, my case with the video in their hands,.....the dealer finally was given the authorization to replace the fuel pump...In the end I believe it was really about the cost of the job that was the delay factor.. ...they knew I was towed 2 times..they had the report from my garage....they had the video... but they fought to the end....
so now just waiting for the part...Hope this will end this saga...will keep you posted...

Another update on this thread....After getting a video to the extended warrantee company , as they suggested, showing them the pressure drop on acceleration, they still gave me the run around .. after a weeks worth of my phone calls , they finally gave the authorization to the dealership to replace the fuel pump...Was just a stall tactic I believe, because of the cost of the job ..over $ 2500.00
Repair being done beginning of next week....Hopefully my next post will be the last on this issue..J

Hi all...follow up on what started this thread and hopefully an end to this issue..Was having the main fuel pump changed when the dealer called and told me when they dropped the fuel tank, there was contaminents inside as well.....I own her for about a year now...Do not know much about previous owner"s care of her......I purchased her thru a Dealer... But I pamper her and do not put that much milage on her.....use what I think is good gas:Shell -V...never let the tank go anywhere near empty...
She felt fine to me when driving until she died on the highway..Ergo..DEAD IN THE WATER:)
So that being said..I had them drop the other tank..make sure the whole system was cleaned out..Had both fuel pumps changed...Changed all hoses and connections..Basically a new Fuel system..
Major job..major amount of time to do..major expense even with the extended warrantee, but so worth it..
She has always felt fine to me ,as I just cruise along nice and easy ,not a speed freak or someone to push a car to any limits, but I can now feel the power waiting to explode.....Great ride as we all know
Hope this saga somehow helps someone that may think has similar issues..

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom