Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

EXTERIOR & INTERIOR MODS ON 04 XLR

I'm finally agreeing with Floyd that it's velcro even if it isn't but my seat and door side looks like crap. I have found no way to clean this suede without buggering up the look.
I figured I can get it all done for about seven or eight hundres, but which color with a platinum exterior and and the shale interior which is trimmed in black on the dash and doors. Although I would like saddle brown, I think I have to go with black. Watcha all think?
So by by miss American suede, take you suede to the levy and pull it all out. Gee, reminds me of a great song.
I still would put Corvette scoops on my fenders if I could find some fiberglass company to make them and have them molded to the fenders. Now that would cost a buck or two. Just thinking out loud here.

Bobo, you have seen mine, same color outside as yours and mine is all Black inside and I love it. It looks classey, sharp and expensive, especially when the top is down and everyone can look right in.

Yes, the V has an all leather interior except for the cloth suede inserts and the panels on the doors. I have had a tough time cleaning these parts.
Any other differences between V and base seats? I would love the suede centers and if someone is redoing their seats anyhow maybe we could swap seats first. I have a base '05, shale interior. Just a thought...
Bruce

Yes, the V has an all leather interior except for the cloth suede inserts and the panels on the doors. I have had a tough time cleaning these parts.

Okay, if any of you V owners have cashmere (maybe it's shale?) interior in good condition and are going to reupholster because you don't like the suede inserts let me know. Maybe we can work a deal...
Bruce

If anyone is looking for a good company that does leather interior upgrades you may want to check out dsvettes.com. They have been featured on Jay Leno's garage and have a great reputation.

ANOTHER MOD ON MY 04

After seeing the nice painted engine covers on JCPs post (Engine Cover, 2/19/09), tomorrow my XLR will also have that change added to the modification list shown at the beginning of this thread. I like the final pattern he came up with, except I will use black instead of red in all the areas that he painted. The red looks very good, but the painter and I think the black will go with the light platinum exterior a little better.

CAPT AM

Hey!...where was that idea when I asked! lol. Well here is the preview beside the one I did. Looks good! I almost got my painters tape out! Dont be surprised if I do. Still working on the other parts. oh...and for kicks....heres my plan for the carbon fiber interior. (The picture is a little lighter then what it will look like. I am having trouble figuring out the steering wheel as it is one peice.)

CARBON FIBER INTERIOR ALTERNATIVE

JCP:

At one time, I also was thinking about replacing the wood trim parts, but not with carbon fiber. I was going to have the parts shot with black poly paint, and then heavy clear-coated to give a real deep "depth" look to the component finish. However, I abandoned the idea because it was too much trouble to remove the steering wheel.

But, I feel the real weak point of the interior is the cheap thin gauge fake "carbon fiber" metal that is used all over the place. The idea of covering it all with wood trim (as offered by some manufacturers) has a certain amount of appeal as far as hiding the cheap simulated carbon fiber, but it is a bit too much wood trim for me (personal preference). I wish someone would make all those panels with some options other than a wood pattern.

CAPT AM

Ha ha. You know...I actually like that cheap imitation Carbon fiber. I didn’t even know that was what it was meant to simulate. lol. I’m going to try and get the carbon made of the wood as in that picture then let you know how it turns out. I’m still working on a few other exterior parts though. Been working on one for almost 4 months and I am just about there. Can’t wait to show you guys! Sorry...no hints.

Water Transfer Printing can simulate many finishes,from carbon fiber (black & colors) to brushed aluminum, to various woods and marbles. I think the finish is quite passable, having black carbon fiber on my Corvette and brushed aluminum in the TrailBlazer SS.
Bruce

Yea, I'll probably do black inserts in leather, no more Velcro:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Hope they can stitch the V badge into the head rest.
Bobo, you have seen mine, same color outside as yours and mine is all Black inside and I love it. It looks classey, sharp and expensive, especially when the top is down and everyone can look right in.

ENGINE COVER PAINTED

Similar to JCP's design, I have had the engine cover painted on my 04 XLR. All the stock silver was completely removed. It was re-shot with light platinum (same color as exterior) polyurethane paint, and trimmed in gloss black as in JCP's final red trim design. The entire cover was then clear coated to give a uniform finish to entire surface. It turned out looking really nice. I will take some pics when the sun comes out; maybe JCP will be kind enough to post them when available. Someone will probably ask; the cost for labor and materials was $450. A little steep perhaps, but the shop that did the work here in Huntsville has done other jobs for me that have turned out to be first rate. This is the same shop that did the license plate recess area and unique back-up light paint job that is shown earlier in this Thread.

CAPT AM

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back