Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Failed Folding Top Control Module?

Just as summer arrives, tragedy strikes...
The rear compartment on my ’06 became flooded. The trunk will not raise or lower and hydraulics are not operationing. The button in the trunk lid to lower is non functional. The trunk button the cabin will release the latch mechanism when then trunk has is closed manually but trunk does not move. With the trunk open, pressing the open/close roof button cause the message “Top Motor Over Temp” on DIT. Would this be symptomatic of a failed Folding Top Control? Has any had success of drying out the FTC and resuming operation without an expensive repair?

If so, can anyone provide an estimated cost to repair? Since the XLR has been out of production for 9 years, finding a qualified XLR tech is probably pretty rare. I’m in the Philadelphia area. If anyone knows of a dealer w/ XLR Tech on staff in South East PA, Southern New Jersey, please let me know.

I'd be okay with driving with top up for awhile, but the Check Engine Light is one. My OBD device is reporting communication errors U1305, U1088, U1193, U1096, U1153, U1098 & U1129 as the cause. I thinks it's all related to FTC issue, but PA inspection is due is a few weeks and it won't pass with CEL on.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck this happened to me just now! Were you able to fix it ? If so how?

Chuck this happened to me just now! Were you able to fix it ? If so how?

Recommendation: there is a small drain tube on the underside of the car directly below the cubby that holds the top hydraulic pump and controls. It has been recommended many times on this forum to cut the rubber tube off. All it does is collect debris and plugs the drain hole, which allows it to flood if the trunk lid leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I recommend placing a folded up used towel on the floor of the left side above the modules. When the trunk is wet it pours water right into the module area when opened. Also if the known leak source on that left corner is not repaired it will leak from the top right into the modules. Like most electrical devices once they get wet and power is applied, sad to say they are usually done.

Hello, new to forum. I just got a new control module from GM p/n 25840734. I need to know what order the power connector wires are in th connector. Mine came out of the connector when I tried to pull the plug out. Red and green. Image will do as well.

Unfortunately, I discovered this forum too late :mad: and encountered the fateful top failure!! At least after googling my issues, I came across this site and was able to drain the trunk hole which was indeed clogged with a rock and full of water. Anyway, took my car to a dealership and was told that it was the car battery that was not giving enough "juice" to power the top-which sounds sketch since my husband just replaced the battery the previous month-
Duracell Ultra Gold Battery for 2004 Cadillac XLR V8 4.6L 590CCA does this sound correct or should I try the 640?

I am purchasing a new FTCM like Steven and was going to attempt to replace myself as I am super untrusting of the dealership now. Will follow above post for any help as I'm a neuro nurse and for sure not a mechanic, but have so far figured out how to change the headlight bulbs myself!

Last edited:
Just an FYI. You should never run the top without the engine running. It only takes about 3 cycles to drain the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an FYI. You should never run the top without the engine running. It only takes about 3 cycles to drain the battery.

I’ve done it on mine, but only when I can’t start the car in the closed garage, but I always have the battery tender hooked up and works ok then!

I’ve done it on mine, but only when I can’t start the car in the closed garage, but I always have the battery tender hooked up and works ok then!

Dan,
I beg to disagree. The battery tenders are meant to provide just enough amps to compensate for the parasitic drain our cars are well known for, while minimizing sulfidation by trickling just enough amps to keep the battery fully charged. Your tender provides about 1.5 amps. The top hydraulic motor is drawing many more amps than that, think trying to start your car three times (continuously) for the 30 seconds each that it takes to complete a top cycle or 1.5 minutes. Perhaps once is OK as the battery can be quickly recharged either through several hours on the battery tender or simply driving it and letting the alternator recharge it. Personally, I never run my top unless the engine is running.

If I run the top more then 1 time, I’ll throw on the regular battery charger for safely top charging, It’s not being driven when it’s storage so the tender will have time to top the battery back off and I ain’t about to open up the heated garage to run the car when it’s extremely cold out! Just my opinion but I think as long it’s charged it should be fine, I’ve done it this way since I own the car, only in the winter months, with no problems! But only once in a while it’s not like once week or even a month!

Unfortunately, I discovered this forum too late :mad: and encountered the fateful top failure!! At least after googling my issues, I came across this site and was able to drain the trunk hole which was indeed clogged with a rock and full of water. Anyway, took my car to a dealership and was told that it was the car battery that was not giving enough "juice" to power the top-which sounds sketch since my husband just replaced the battery the previous month-
Duracell Ultra Gold Battery for 2004 Cadillac XLR V8 4.6L 590CCA does this sound correct or should I try the 640?

I am purchasing a new FTCM like Steven and was going to attempt to replace myself as I am super untrusting of the dealership now. Will follow above post for any help as I'm a neuro nurse and for sure not a mechanic, but have so far figured out how to change the headlight bulbs myself!

These cars need as much CCA as possible. If you just installed a 590 CCA and it is new, the top should go up ok. Did the dealer actually get the top to work or are they just guessing? You can try to jump the XLR with another battery with jumper cables. That will give you car the extra current the top may need. I would talk to the dealer and ask them if they got the top to wok with another battery. If they did, then the 640CCA might fix the problem. Good Luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom