Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Finally got my XLR yesterday

BlackCatXLR

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black raven / Shale
Hi all,
Been looking at this forum for years on and off and had been looking for a rebuilder XLR for just as long. Done quite a few salvage/rebuilders over the years and since I've always done well with them I figured probably the only way I'd ever get into an XLR would be to do it that way. Besides I kind of enjoy rebuilding them, a little bit of a hobby. Never done one to make money on, just for our own use.
Only ever seen a few XLR's on the road since they were new and never actually seen one in person.
Looked at quite a few over the internet but after lots of research realized most are either missing way to many expensive parts or just too much damage.
Finally spotted one a couple weeks ago at an insurance auction and it was such a good price I snapped it up. Damage looked pretty minimal but sight unseen besides in pictures is always risky and this was no exception. There's usually a good reason they are salvaged!
Buying was easy but shipping was a whole different story. Anyway finally arrived yesterday, dead battery, window open like 2 inches, locked up and keys laying on front seat!
Thanks to reading up on the forum I was able to fish keys off seat with a coat-hanger and get into trunk and pop open door.
Got it unloaded after some major hassles since it had 3 flat tires and a broken front spindle and A arm.
Have quite a few of the parts I need and a few coming in a couple days and looking forward to get it moving on its own.
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions on this car but just to finally have one is unbelievable! Nobody I've talked to here has really even seen one or known what it is and it's all new to me too.
Anyway, looking forward to this project!
:smash:

Kevin

Last edited:
Finally Got My XLR

Welcome to the best place to be as a lover of these amazing vehicles...But you must have already know that ,by being on this forum before you had the priveledge of being one of the few to own one..
Best of luck in your rebuild..I envy guys like you with the knowledge and the nerve to take that work on...
Keep us posted as to your progress....

Hi all,
Been looking at this forum for years on and off and had been looking for a rebuilder XLR for just as long. Done quite a few salvage/rebuilders over the years and since I've always done well with them I figured probably the only way I'd ever get into an XLR would be to do it that way. Besides I kind of enjoy rebuilding them, a little bit of a hobby. Never done one to make money on, just for our own use.
Only ever seen a few XLR's on the road since they were new and never actually seen one in person.
Looked at quite a few over the internet but after lots of research realized most are either missing way to many expensive parts or just too much damage.
Finally spotted one a couple weeks ago at an insurance auction and it was such a good price I snapped it up. Damage looked pretty minimal but sight unseen besides in pictures is always risky and this was no exception. There's usually a good reason they are salvaged!
Buying was easy but shipping was a whole different story. Anyway finally arrived yesterday, dead battery, window open like 2 inches, locked up and keys laying on front seat!
Thanks to reading up on the forum I was able to fish keys off seat with a coat-hanger and get into trunk and pop open door.
Got it unloaded after some major hassles since it had 3 flat tires and a broken front spindle and A arm.
Have quite a few of the parts I need and a few coming in a couple days and looking forward to get it moving on its own.
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions on this car but just to finally have on is unbelievable! Nobody I've talked to here has really even seen one or known what it is and it's all new to me too.
Anyway, looking forward to this project!
:smash:

Kevin

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase and ensuing project! We will all certainly help where we can: there are many knowledgeable people here as well as enthusiasts that may not be able to help but 'can feel your pain' when you are stumped. Good luck with your rebuild! My hubby and I have done many rebuilds on classic cars but have never taken on something as complex as an XLR: I just bought a 'nice one' and have been maintaining it! Enjoy your project! It is not 'only' about the destination but the journey along the way!

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement!

Here's a picture of the fun we had unloading and a little preview of the car.

IMG_3156.JPG

Kevin

TopHydraulics

hello, my name is Dave Gonzalez and I want to give a a few tips on the XLR retractable top.
*First - if your top starts groaning during cycling, you need to add fluid.
*Second - if you add fluid and it looses it fast, you have a leak, if it doesn't loose fluid upon adding it, you are soon going to need help.
When you need replacing your retractable top pump, I would highly recommend that you replace the eight cylinders.when you rework the pump. it will save you time and money. i would recommended using Top Hydraulics for all reworked pump and cylinders. their work is superior and guarenteed. you just cant beat German craftmanship. I now have a beautiful working retractable top.

Welcome to The Site!

Interesting. Lots of work ahead for you, but the car from the picture looks to be in pretty decent condition overall body wise. Good luck with your project. I know that if anyone can help you with technical Info here, they will.

Again, welcome aboard.

Thanks to all

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice on and offline from quite a few members.
Have the car running and semi driveable now. Still gathering all the parts I need to complete this and I was thinking of starting a thread on what I'm doing to rebuild this if anyone was interested.
Not sure where I would post that, technical, general or :dunno: ??

Kevin

Welcome

Hi,
Good afternoon. Just another day in Paradise and only 28 days til Spring.... Congratulations on your XLR. I am sure you will enjoy it. At least you have several cold months left to work on it. You may have time to get it on the road before it gets warm in Wisconsin........:))
Not much better here in Missouri. Take and we look forward to your updates.
Fred

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back