Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fliud Replacement

R

rbweddle

My 05 has only 23,500 miles. I have changed the engine oil and will change the diff flluid. Even though the car only has 23500miles on odo, the car is 6 1/2 years old. What about changing other fluids due to age, ie. brake, steering, coolant, transmission, etc? What are recommendations for replacing hoses and drive belts?

Thanks,

Bruce

Our personal 'used car' policy is check and change everything on anything on vehicles 5 years old unless you have service records showing the maintenance. For sure, flush the rad, change the brake fluid (that stuff absorbs water from the atmosphere, I think the term is hydroscopic)

Not sure about the other fluids like power steering etc but there are other members on this forum with this info, and your local Cadillac dealer should tell you too. Ask them 'why' something should be changed, if they can't tell you an definative answer then it may be just a way to build service invoices!

One of the big things often over-looked with older cars is the tires. I purchased a 10 year old Z-28 convertible a number of years ago that still had original tires: not good especially if you like to drive it the way I do! If your tires are actually original, they should be changed soon for sure, once over 7 years old from manufacturer date is recommended: kind of like an expiration date on dairy: it may be ok for a bit but you know things are going to get nasty soon! :pukeface:

Tires are actually date stamped. The DOT is usually stamped on both sides of the tire, the longer number of the two has additional 4 numbers at the end, first two digits is the week, second 2 is the year: ie 3806 would be the 38th week in 2006.

Anyway, I am sure many more members will chime in here on this issue. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Thanks. I agree, "when in doubt, change it out" The tires are new. Prior owner replaced two a few months ago and I replace other two last week.

Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back