Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Minor coolant leak - after advice before I fix it

xlrlist01

Seasoned Member
Hello all

My X has been suffering a very, very slow drop in coolant level (over 18 months a cup or three), which until recently I convinced myself was simply air purging out after a coolant replacement. Sadly it is an actual leak, though very slight.

I have found the leak's source, it is near the top on the unit behind throttle body, where coolant is coming from an aluminum housing round and back to the interior heater. If you lift the hood of your X, look to your left (car right/passenger side), just behind the air intakes there is a smallish hose going into a screwed fitting into that housing. The leak is coming from the thread of the fitting. It hasn't been touched ever.

Before I get that fitting unscrewed, are there any traps waiting to cause problems? Anyone had this happen to them?

TIA

PS, it is possible this leak has been there for many years and only now has reached a rate bad enough for me to get it fixed. My X has had a slight coolant smell ever since the dealership blew coolant everywhere, when they forgot to tighten a hose when changing the water-pump etc.

If you sre talking about the coolant line with a molded tee in it, its usually a small. Crack in the tee.it wont leak until hot and just leaks a few dropzs We replace the plastic molded tee with a metal one . it may run down the hose but ive not seen the metal line that screws into the throttle body heater leak. if you remove the hose and its the one going into the top of the radiator, be very careful as you can snap off the inlet to the radiator.
By the way factory oem radiators are now discontinued. Theres two left . most aftermarket only have lines for one cooler anr many xlr have a cooler in the radiator on both sides. If anyones bought a denso or aftermarket rafiator with coolers on both side ,please pm me with a part number. Thahks

Thanks Mickytee.

No, there is no molded 'T', nor is it going to the top of the radiator.

The hose is a heater hose, going from just behind the throttle body and then down the side of the engine to the heater. The hose starts by going forwards before turning to run towards the cabin.

Re the radiator, yep, I'm aware of the supply situation. Mine was replaced by the dealership as part of the work.

The leak is certainly coming from the threaded end of the fitting. Hesitate to say straight forward as these things never are, but it has the look of being ok. Thought I would ask here first though.

You're referring to the Water Outlet Housing. I just removed mine in order to replace the Bypass Hose. It's easy to remove. Drain the coolant, remove the intake snorkel, remove the EVAP Purge Solenoid, the MAP sensor connector, the heater hose to the 2 threaded fittings, remove the Throttle Body Electrical Connector, remove the 4 Throttle Body bolts, lock the 2 Bypass Hose clamps in the open position, then remove the 4 Water Outlet Housing bolts. The Outlet Housing will then pull right out. Pretty easy.

You'll need 2 new Water Outlet Housing gaskets. I just bought 2 at my local GM dealer so they're still available.

Not sure what to do about the leak around the water fitting that threads into the Water Outlet Housing though. Check and see if a new one is available before removing it. You can try Teflon pipe tape (from the plumbing supply section of your local home center). It might seal the leak.

You can also purchase a used Water Outlet Housing if the threads in the housing around the leaking fitting are stripped. I saw one on eBay recently.

Good Luck

What gear is your car? I have the unit off on a 05 and it has a 7/8 hex fitting on it. However. I tried to femove the fitting with a socket and pull handle. Lifted the 500 pound work bench. I could get it off if i bad to but its not going to be easy. I looked at an 08 i bad and found the fitting had a bit of rust between the hose and fitting. I woukd realky clen with a wire brush the treads on the fitting into the housing and make sure thats avtually where its leaking. It des have factory seakant on it that usually dies not leak. I sent you a pm

You're referring to the Water Outlet Housing. I just removed mine in order to replace the Bypass Hose. It's easy to remove. Drain the coolant, remove the intake snorkel, remove the EVAP Purge Solenoid, the MAP sensor connector, the heater hose to the 2 threaded fittings, remove the Throttle Body Electrical Connector, remove the 4 Throttle Body bolts, lock the 2 Bypass Hose clamps in the open position, then remove the 4 Water Outlet Housing bolts. The Outlet Housing will then pull right out. Pretty easy.

You'll need 2 new Water Outlet Housing gaskets. I just bought 2 at my local GM dealer so they're still available.

Not sure what to do about the leak around the water fitting that threads into the Water Outlet Housing though. Check and see if a new one is available before removing it. You can try Teflon pipe tape (from the plumbing supply section of your local home center). It might seal the leak.

You can also purchase a used Water Outlet Housing if the threads in the housing around the leaking fitting are stripped. I saw one on eBay recently.

Good Luck
Thanks

I've now worked out what you mean by two "water housing outlet gaskets", there is one on the end of each head. eg FelPro 35863. Also, the seal between this housing and the throttle body is eg FelPro 61528.

Replacing the whole casting looks easier than I first thought too. I'll update here.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom