Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! FOLDING CONVERTIBLE TOP

jwdowd

My XLR/V(s)
2006 star black special editon
WOW! I have a problem with my top! I had the windshield replaced and they said they needed to put the top down to access the windshield replacement. Top went down OK then would not come back up! top stuck down and wont come back up! Can anyone help me?

Make sure the engine is running or you can drain the battery. If that's not the case then check fluid level if you hear the pump trying. If nothing is happening then you may need to research through these pages where others discuss this issue. Some use a tech 2 for relearn. Good luck...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Need more descriptive information. Does it not move at all? Does the motor run but it doesn't move? Does it go up a little then no more? Half up then stops?

folding convetable top

will not move at all cant here pump working

WOW! I have a problem with my top! I had the windshield replaced and they said they needed to put the top down to access the windshield replacement. Top went down OK then would not come back up! top stuck down and wont come back up! Can anyone help me?

I have a problem also and will post in a different thread, however read the owners manual and you can get it back up if you have the tool provided in your trunk space on passenger side under carpet next to the tail light, hope this helps you. if you need more help email me at tomdicksonsr@gmail.com

I have a problem also and will post in a different thread, however read the owners manual and you can get it back up if you have the tool provided in your trunk space on passenger side under carpet next to the tail light, hope this helps you. if you need more help email me at tomdicksonsr@gmail.com

Also check the fuses, look in the Owners Manual for any fuse that are connected to top operation. They may have blown a fuse when changing the windshield.

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Be very careful about using the "emergency" procedure to manually putting the top down or up!!!

Some one in an XLR top thread mentioned he had read the owners manual "emergency" top procedure and it looked "daunting". For me it was worse that "daunting'. I actually tried to do it. What a mess I made!!

I have a 2008 XLR with 20,300 miles. The manual top up (closed) is given as an "emergency" procedure my owner's manual. The reality is it's more of an afterthought that probably only works when the battery or something external from the top mechanical system is the reason it can't be lowered. I found that when the top has even a minor mechanical problem the procedure is worthless and can make it worse. I found out the hard way when I had the "Top Not Secure" error message in the DIC and my GM scan tool showed the top to have a position sensor error, that I could not put the friggen top up. Following the top up "emergency" procedure verbatim, I got about 1/2 way through the "emergency" top closing procedure and could go no farther as after releasing the top catch with the 8mm hex wrench with lots of fiddling, I could not get the top to move out of it's stored position. In fact I find that I now can not get the top back down because, as the top manual instructions dictated, I had manually moved the trunk tonneau cover under the trunk lid to the closed position and now it will not move back to the top open position. The trunk lid now will not close with the lids stuck tonneau resting on the top leaving about a 3" gap between the trunk lid and the closed position. And there she sits.

I've owned other convertibles and all there is to manually closing them is to open a hydraulic valve conveniently located in the trunk. The GM procedure to manually put the XLR top up seems to be added as an afterthought to the convertible tops ability to open and close. It's a rube Goldberg procedure that most certainly can't be a procedure that was ever purposely designed to aid an owner with manually opening and closing the top. If you don't have slender hands and can't feel and find the latches 8mm hex head you won't even get started. Like I said, it's an abortion from beginning to end.

There is nothing in the users or in GM 4 volume shop manual that shows any kind of detailed drawings or photos that show much at all about the quite complex components of the top system.

There are others who have talked about the XLR manual closing and opening system but as far as I've been able to find in any of there conferences, I'm the only one who has been witless enough to actually try it.

Using my smartphone I took photos of the top latching system the 8mm hex wrench is used in, location of the hydraulic pump (Under the mat in Driver side rear corner-start at the corner-I used a plastic tool with a 30-45 deg bend to lift the carpet and hydraulic system lid to get access. Valve is at bottom of hydraulic cyclinder/pump assy)). I am going to write about what I did with photos, so that when I take it in to get repaired, the Tech will know how it got there and what didn't work and the positions the top latch (8mm hex) and hydraulic valves were left it. When I get my fiasco with the top documented, I will post a link or if possible, cut and paste it into this an other XLR Effed up threads. Maybe having a photograph or two and a detailed description of what was actually done and accomplished will be better than all the next to meaningless woulda cudda shoulda babble that runs on and on in most tech conferences.

Of course when we post to this conference, we always hope that someone out there will say "hey! I had -exacty- this problem and here is how you fix it!!!"

I
'll get the photos and detailed story here ASAP but it may be a week or three [...sigh...]

Gotta run. Sorry for the bad grammer and writing style. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
You are correct. The emergency procedure is for problems such as a broken motor, and blown fuse, a broken switch, or a broken sensor. If you have something bent or broken off, this procedure won't help much.

BUT, the manual doesn't really explain why you are doing some of these steps, which would help you understand how to put it up and down.

My top got stuck in the down position. Luckily I was near my home and spent a couple hours of frustration before I finally figured it out.

As I've suggested in the past, everyone should try to learn this procedure, unless you would just rather call the Caddy dealer and have them do it. If you're carefull, and follow the steps exactly, you can do it.

Heck, thinking about it now, I might just go try doing it this weekend, it's been 2 years since I did it last. LOL.

BTW, the Top engineering is actually pretty good compared to other hard top convertables. The problem isn't the engineering, it's the bad manual.

Some on in an XLR top thread mentioned he had read the owners manual "emergency" top procedure and it looked "daunting". For me it was worse that "daunting'. I actually tried to do it. What a mess I made!!

I have a 2008 XLR with 20,300 miles. The manual top up (closed) is given as an "emergency" procedure my owner's manual. The reality is it's more of an afterthought that probably only works when the battery or something external from the top mechanical system is the reason it can't be lowered. I found that when the top has even a minor mechanical problem the procedure is worthless and can make it worse. I found out the hard way when I had the "Top Not Secure" error message in the DIC and my GM scan tool showed the top to have a position sensor error, that I could not put the friggen top up. Following the top up "emergency" procedure verbatim, I got about 1/2 way through the "emergency" top closing procedure and could go no farther as after releasing the top catch with the 8mm hex wrench with lots of fiddling, I could not get the top to move out of it's stored position. In fact I find that I now can not get the top back down because, as the top manual instructions dictated, I had manually moved the trunk tonneau cover under the trunk lid to the closed position and now it will not move back to the top open position. The trunk lid now will not close with the lids stuck tonneau resting on the top leaving about a 3" gap between the trunk lid and the closed position. And there she sits.

I've owned other convertibles and all there is to manually closing them is to open a hydraulic valve conveniently located in the trunk. The GM procedure to manually put the XLR top up seems to be added as an afterthought to the convertible tops ability to open and close. It's a rube Goldberg procedure that most certainly can't be a procedure that was ever purposely designed to aid an owner with manually opening and closing the top. If you don't have slender hands and can't feel and find the latches 8mm hex head you won't even get started. Like I said, it's an abortion from beginning to end.

There is nothing in the users or in GM 4 volume shop manual that shows any kind of detailed drawings or photos that show much at all about the quite complex components of the top system.

There are others who have talked about the XLR manual closing and opening system but as far as I've been able to find in any of there conferences, I'm the only one who has been witless enough to actually try it.

Using my smartphone I took photos of the top latching system the 8mm hex wrench is used in, location of the hydraulic pump (Under the mat in Driver side rear corner-start at the corner-I used a plastic tool with a 30-45 deg bend to lift the carpet and hydraulic system lid to get access. Valve is at bottom of hydraulic cyclinder/pump assy)). I am going to write about what I did with photos, so that when I take it in to get repaired, the Tech will know how it got there and what didn't work and the positions the top latch (8mm hex) and hydraulic valves were left it. When I get my fiasco with the top documented, I will post a link or if possible, cut and paste it into this an other XLR Effed up threads. Maybe having a photograph or two and a detailed description of what was actually done and accomplished will be better than all the next to meaningless woulda cudda shoulda babble that runs on and on in most tech conferences.

Of course when we post to this conference, we always hope that someone out there will say "hey! I had -exacty- this problem and here is how you fix it!!!"

I
'll get the photos and detailed story here ASAP but it may be a week or three [...sigh...]

Gotta run. Sorry for the bad grammer and writing style. Thanks for your patience.

I'm with you 100%, when I started reading the manual as to how to do it manually I just started laughing. No way you can do it with the manual instructions. My brother is a tech writer who writes these things. He said this writer was the absolute worst !!!!!!!!! and no way possible any owner would be able to do this without pics and much more detail. GM f****ed us on this incredible car!!!!!!! We are on our own figuring out how to fix many problems left with us, GM check out, period!!!!!!!!!!!

folding convert top

Took it to a Chevy dealer the put in a new top module then it worked 75% and stopped & blew the fuse.They found that when the windshield was replaced the guy pinched the harness wires on the drivers side that went to the roof and who knows what else! That made a short in the system & blew the fuse! They fixed the wire, working fine now $450 for labor $535 for parts $987.00 total! I dont know if I can afford this car if anything else goes bad!

Took it to a Chevy dealer the put in a new top module then it worked 75% and stopped & blew the fuse.They found that when the windshield was replaced the guy pinched the harness wires on the drivers side that went to the roof and who knows what else! That made a short in the system & blew the fuse! They fixed the wire, working fine now $450 for labor $535 for parts $987.00 total! I dont know if I can afford this car if anything else goes bad!

I think I’d be contacting the windshield replacement people!!! It’s was all fine before the replacement.... they cost you a lot of money, they should have insurance to cover that!
Also you may want think about checking into aftermarket warranty coverage.

I agree with grandad. You shouldn't pay for windshield repairs then pay again for their mistakes. These cars are expensive enough without paying for someone else's mistake.

I agree with grandad. You shouldn't pay for windshield repairs then pay again for their mistakes. These cars are expensive enough without paying for someone else's mistake.

I had a stone chip that cracked up the side on my XLR a few years ago... replacement cost then was $1700 but I keep comprehensive insurance on all vehicles, it covers what regular insurance don’t! Like glass breakage, hitting a deer and even a large rock damage on the road and old Subaru I had years ago! My windshield replacement didn’t cost a even a penny!

XLR Folding Convertible Top "emergency" manual closing procedure (The rest of the story)...

The rest of the 08 XLR owner's manual "Emergency Folding Top Procedure" story…

After diddling around with the "Emergency" procedure I Finally I took my XLR to the local Cadillac dealer. They checked it out. They said that the B3971 folding top position sensor error was because the wire to the sensor was catching, causing it to hang the top and give DIC “Top Not Secure” error. They fixed the wire connection and fixed the wire routing.

It was a quick easy fix that they charged the minimum service charge of $110.

I'm sure glad I didn't get orangutangy with the manual top procedure and break something (Like the wire to the position sensor)

And also....they told me that the procedure I attempted to use was short a couple of steps and gave me a copy of the shop manual folding top closing procedure. It's tucked away in my glove box with the 2008 XLR owner's manual.

Some day, when I'm sure mechanically the top is fine, I -may- try the “emergency” procedure again. I found a 2004 post from a 2004 XLR user who said he did the manual top up procedure in 2 minutes.

And yes, I -really- enjoy my XLR. The convertible hard top, Cadillac'd magnetic suspension and quick silky smooth quiet NorthStar V8 sets it apart from the Corvette C6, making it pure un-adulterated Cadillac.

I'm with you 100%, when I started reading the manual as to how to do it manually I just started laughing. No way you can do it with the manual instructions. My brother is a tech writer who writes these things. He said this writer was the absolute worst !!!!!!!!! and no way possible any owner would be able to do this without pics and much more detail. GM f****ed us on this incredible car!!!!!!! We are on our own figuring out how to fix many problems left with us, GM check out, period!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the 08 XLR owner's manual "Emergency Folding Top Procedure" story…

After diddling around with the "Emergency" procedure I Finally I took my XLR to the local Cadillac dealer. They checked it out. They said that the B3971 folding top position sensor error was because the wire to the sensor was catching, causing it to hang the top and give DIC “Top Not Secure” error. They fixed the wire connection and fixed the wire routing.

It was a quick easy fix that they charged the minimum service charge of $110.

I'm sure glad I didn't get orangutangy with the manual top procedure and break something (Like the wire to the position sensor)

And also....they told me that the procedure I attempted to use was short a couple of steps and gave me a copy of the shop manual folding top closing procedure. It's tucked away in my glove box with the 2008 XLR owner's manual.

Some day, when I'm sure mechanically the top is fine, I -may- try the “emergency” procedure again. I found a 2004 post from a 2004 XLR user who said he did the manual top up procedure in 2 minutes.

And yes, I -really- enjoy my XLR. The convertible hard top, Cadillac'd magnetic suspension and quick silky smooth quiet NorthStar V8 sets it apart from the Corvette C6, making it pure un-adulterated Cadillac.

That was a cheap easy fix! Sometimes it actually does pay to let the pros check problems out!

That's true, but It's tough figuring out who the "pros" are. In this case, all I wanted to do was to put the top up and get it fixed. I didn't want it sitting on the dealerships parking lot with the top down so birds could poop on my leather seats.

My wife and I have owned 6 Cadillacs and many other fords, olds, Chevrolet, Pontiacs, Chryslers and pickups, company vehicles. I learned some time ago to have the best idea I could so that I could fix it myself or give it to what you call "Pro" the best description I can of the symptoms of vehicles problem, not just to help them which may result in a better less expensive repair, but also to perhaps help them to understand that I just may not of fallen off the turnip truck yesterday.

It could be that my giving them the history & what my Tech 2 diagnostics pointed to helped keep my bill smaller. In any case I was absolutely pleased that all it took was the $110 minimum service charge. Now under new and obviously better ownership, this is the same Cadillac dealership that I had to take my wife's new 05 STS 6 times under warranty to get a tiny oil seep fixed (long horror story) and I also found was not changing the oil and filter that we bought a 48mo Mobil 1 oil service contract on her new warranted 08 Caddy STS. (Anniversary present)

Anyway, my list of horror stories with GM dealerships and other "Pros" taking, shall we say great advantage of us, especially my wife and sister, is long.

But the new owners of now named Casper Cadillac/Buick/GM are great, in fact the best. The shop foreman told me the last time someone brought a Caddy XLR in for service was 18 months ago (chuckle). XLR "Pros" or not, they did did just fine, in fact, much better than I had come to expect from the dealership when it was owned by the previous two organizations.

That was a cheap easy fix! Sometimes it actually does pay to let the pros check problems out!

conv top

Chevrolet put in a new module for the top! Top came up but would not go down 900.00. Took it back Chevy said we fixed it! They lied!!!! Top would not come down! Finally got the top fixed took it to Cadillac they put in a new latch at the top where the windshield is 600.00 working fine now! They said I probably did not even need the module 600.00 these dealers know how to stick you up without using a gun!

Chevrolet put in a new module for the top! Top came up but would not go down 900.00. Took it back Chevy said we fixed it! They lied!!!! Top would not come down! Finally got the top fixed took it to Cadillac they put in a new latch at the top where the windshield is 600.00 working fine now! They said I probably did not even need the module 600.00 these dealers know how to stick you up without using a gun!

There are mechanics, then there are parts replacers

old parts

Thats why I always require that they give me my old parts. I would have swapped the module and if it worked I would have had them buy the new one back .

That's even the law in many states. But people sign that away when they sign the final bill sometimes.

Thats why I always require that they give me my old parts. I would have swapped the module and if it worked I would have had them buy the new one back .

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom