Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Front Bumper Sensors

Blue Steel

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Blue Steel XLR .... 40,000 miles
:dunno: I was washing my car for the first time today and 1 of the triangular covers came off the sensor on the corner on the top of the front bumper on the passenger side. What are these sensors? And more importantly, how does this piece go back on. It looks like it goes on and then turns somehow (can't tell if it turns clockwise or counter-clockwise) but I can't figure it out and don't want to break it. I can't tell if I need to press down as I turn or am I totally thinking incorrectly. Does anyone have any instructions and maybe a photo or schematic showing how to reinstall this piece. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like you knocked off the cover to one of the headlamp washers, which is easy to do (both of ours have had it happen). It's possible to replace it yourself if the clips are broken - you'll have to have a replacement painted to match the color though. If you want details, let me know as my husband is the one who actually did it. He did say it's very easy to break the washer nozzle inside so you have to be careful.

It looks to me like the piece that came off is intact. If you could provide any details to reinstall this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for any help you or your husband can provide. I really appreciate it!:)

Had one of mine break off also many years ago. I just put a small dab of silicone adhesive and stuck it back down. It has been fine ever since. Who ever uses the headlamp washers anyway? Stupid idea to even put them on the car.

As XLRATNG said, I replaced ours awhile back. I don't remember which way it turned :dunno: but it only fits one way. I first tried to go in under the bumper to remove the clip for the nozzle like the service manual instructed but the clip and nozzle seemed really fragile. So instead I gently pressed the bumper down and placed the cover on the nozzle. I then twisted the cover until it dropped down and then turned it back the opposite way to lock it in. The most difficult part is holding the bumper down so you don't scratch the paint while twisting the cover.

I hope this helps. :wave:

Mike

Thanks for the info...I will give this a try later. If it doesn't work it sounds like a little super glue and/or silicon adhesive will do the trick if needed. Thanks again for the assisitance:thumbsup

have the mistress press the wash button while you wait by the bumper. catch the nozzle when it pops up ? then twist it on.
if she doesnt take the opportunity to run you over and steal the car, shes a keeper. :cool:

have the mistress press the wash button while you wait by the bumper. catch the nozzle when it pops up ? then twist it on.
if she doesnt take the opportunity to run you over and steal the car, shes a keeper. :cool:

:laugh:

There's no specific wash button for the headlamp washer, it just goes off like every 5th time you push the windshield washer (in case OP etc. didn't know). Great idea though because that would give me plenty of time to steal the next XLR I want! (which is mean enough so I wouldn't try to run over the guy too). :squint:

Regards, XLR Mistress. :shedevil

Sounds like you knocked off the cover to one of the headlamp washers, which is easy to do (both of ours have had it happen).

I've heard of washing the paint off, but this is a new one! :chuckle

Headlamp Washers

Had one of mine break off also many years ago. I just put a small dab of silicone adhesive and stuck it back down. It has been fine ever since. Who ever uses the headlamp washers anyway? Stupid idea to even put them on the car.

I use mine to keep kids at a distance from the XLR. On my Denali in the salt and sugarbeet/brine/slime deicer that is sprayed on roads in Winter, they are a big help at cleaning off the light lens at night.

I am currently out of town for work but will give these suggestions a try when I get back home, not so sure about the spray the fluid and catch the nozzle technique, but I think I'll be able to push down on the bumper and get the piece back on. Even after getting it back on it seems like a little silicon around the edges sure wouldn't hurt. Thanks for all the advice/tips!

:twist: It was nice and warm last weekend in Michigan and I used the press the bumper down and spin technique (by the way looking from the top down, at least on the passenger side, it spins counter clockwise) and got my headlight washer cover back on. I added a couple very small drops of superglue to the rear corners as well, hope they never come off again. I also replaced the cabin air filter, gave the car a good wash and wax, opened the drain hole in the trunk compartment, removed both the door handles and cleaned the contacts, and then gave the interior a good clean and vacuum. This site is most definitely a wealth of valuable information, Thanks to All. Lastly, I did of course find the time to put the top down and take a nice long ride to "run through the old gas" and just enjoy the car. :beerchug:

Cabin Air Filter

:twist: It was nice and warm last weekend in Michigan and I used the press the bumper down and spin technique (by the way looking from the top down, at least on the passenger side, it spins counter clockwise) and got my headlight washer cover back on. I added a couple very small drops of superglue to the rear corners as well, hope they never come off again. I also replaced the cabin air filter, gave the car a good wash and wax, opened the drain hole in the trunk compartment, removed both the door handles and cleaned the contacts, and then gave the interior a good clean and vacuum. This site is most definitely a wealth of valuable information, Thanks to All. Lastly, I did of course find the time to put the top down and take a nice long ride to "run through the old gas" and just enjoy the car. :beerchug:

Will you tell us exactly where the Cabin Air Filter is located? I am not sure if the 2008 has one.
Some vehicles have a stacked pair of filters.
I have some 'old' fuel to run through as well.
Thanks, Gord.

Cabin filter is located in the engine compartment, on the passenger side firewall, just above the battery. There are three or four clips holding the door on. Flip them down, remove the door and pull the filter out.

Will you tell us exactly where the Cabin Air Filter is located? I am not sure if the 2008 has one.
Some vehicles have a stacked pair of filters.
I have some 'old' fuel to run through as well.
Thanks, Gord.

Exactly, there are 3 or 4 hinged clips on the passenger side firewall. Flip them open and the plastic panel will come free. Slide the cabin air filter out and replace with a new one. The entire process took around 15 minutes and that was with vacuuming and wiping down the slot the filter goes in and cleaning the panel off. Mine had definitely not been changed since new. The new filter was around 10 - 15 dollars. Once you do this once you'll never again pay to have this done at the dealership.

Apparently Mice like to make their home on the cabin air filter:dunno:

133.jpg

Mice

Apparently Mice like to make their home on the cabin air filter:dunno:

View attachment 5180

Not good at all. Their urine smell would gag a maggot and is almost impossible to remove. Better put a mouse trap nearby with the filter out and cover door open, or push the trap in securely tied to a wire. Then turn on some rap music..............loud.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom