Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel system codes, need some help.

bobolope

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
Hoping someone can help me navigate this one. Recently my check engine light came on. According to the code I had a bad mass air flow sensor. Bought a new OEM one and replaced it. Same problem. Now I'm getting the following codes: P1101 - Mass air flow sensor out of self test range, P0174, Fuel trim system lean bank 2, P0171, Fuel trim system lean bank 1, P0101, Mass air flow sensor performance, and P0068, MAP/MAF Throttle Position correlation. The car isn't running right, and at low speed/low throttle it's pinging.

I Don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one. I'd prefer to do the work myself unless it's something major. Unfortunately, my local Cadillac dealer's service department is inept at best. I don't say that out of spite, they really do not have a clue what to do on an XLR which they've shown me several times.

Any idea what I should check/replace in any particular order? I.E., I don't want to replace fuel pumps to find the problem was an O2 sensor.

Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you have a Tech II and are deleting the codes once you have changed out your parts. Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake or the stock system? The mass air problem pops up mostly with aftermarket intakes. They also draw more air, which can cause the lean fuel codes.

If your Cadillac dealer is inept, you may try a Chevrolet dealer who does a lot of Corvette work, as there are quite a lot of similarities to the systems. Good luck!

Cubby

Hoping someone can help me navigate this one. Recently my check engine light came on. According to the code I had a bad mass air flow sensor. Bought a new OEM one and replaced it. Same problem. Now I'm getting the following codes: P1101 - Mass air flow sensor out of self test range, P0174, Fuel trim system lean bank 2, P0171, Fuel trim system lean bank 1, P0101, Mass air flow sensor performance, and P0068, MAP/MAF Throttle Position correlation. The car isn't running right, and at low speed/low throttle it's pinging.

I Don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one. I'd prefer to do the work myself unless it's something major. Unfortunately, my local Cadillac dealer's service department is inept at best. I don't say that out of spite, they really do not have a clue what to do on an XLR which they've shown me several times.

Any idea what I should check/replace in any particular order? I.E., I don't want to replace fuel pumps to find the problem was an O2 sensor.

Thanks in advance!

check it out

Start with an easy fix. Check the bolts on the intake manifold to make sure they are torqued properly.
then you may need to go to the dealer if your computer was not flashed at some point

Bulletin No.: 09-06-04-032A

Date: August 06, 2009

Subject: Check Engine Light On, DTC P1101, P0068, P0171, P0174 (Reprogram ECM)

Models:
2004-2006 Cadillac SRX, XLR
2005-2006 Cadillac STS
Equipped with Engine RPO LH2
Please Refer to GMVIS

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to change the labor time information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-032 (06 - Engine/Propulsion System)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an illuminated check engine light shortly after a cold start with no engine performance concerns. Upon inspection, DTC P1101 (Intake Air Flow System Performance) may be set. In some instances, DTCs P0068 (Throttle Body Airflow Performance), P0171 (Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1) and/or P0174 (Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2) may eventually set as a result of the DTC P1101.

Correction

Verify the condition. If the diagnostics in SI for the conditions described above do not isolate a fault, reprogram the ECM with the revised calibration that has been developed to address this condition.

Verify that the multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used.

Warranty Information

charge time is .4 of an hour

For vehicles reprogrammed under the 8 year/80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use the table above.​

I'm assuming you have a Tech II and are deleting the codes once you have changed out your parts. Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake or the stock system? The mass air problem pops up mostly with aftermarket intakes. They also draw more air, which can cause the lean fuel codes.

If your Cadillac dealer is inept, you may try a Chevrolet dealer who does a lot of Corvette work, as there are quite a lot of similarities to the systems. Good luck!

Cubby
The easyest way to solve the problem is replace the maf make sure it is a factory replacement 2004-2006 GM 12573350 , air filters, and retorqe the plenum. You are going to have to remove the injector rail to get to the bolts so you might as well clean the injectors and add new seals. Since you now have access to the plenum bolts might as well remove and re gasket that also. Finally how long has it been since you replace the plugs (what never?) should resolve all the problems of fuel trim. Well did all of that and still have the P0171 along with a emission problem not turning on the cat's are required might need to replace one or both acording to what Danny from legions tells me. I did not ask if he had reflased the ecm it was on my list. check with him after xmas when he's back at work. By the way my problem was the new MAF was wrong for my year car.

Last edited:
That's good news, and you are right, that is nuts. Where exactly did he put the tape on the MAF sensor?

Sounds like a win-win, well done.
Not quite (all done) there is some bubbling of paint along the trunk, and bottom of rear window I have tried to touch them up but its going need a pro for this. I installed an after market radio as the oem did not accept the gps map disk and the 6 disk CD changer would not play I will eventually have that repaired and reinstalled, I like the look. I also have a leaking cylinder in the roof mechanism and will have to change that (them) out but for now I just keep the pump filled to the max line. Finally the passingers belt trim along the windown needs to be changed I have done the drivers side but all the you can buy is black and the car has gray. and finally the interior cosmetics some dings and scratches on the center consol I would like to replace. I know perfect car is not possible but would like to be as close as I can possibly get it.

Youll find that so called tuner is nothing more than a trottle postion adjuster. All it does it change the volts on the drive eire from the pedal to the trottle body making the pedal more sensitive so when you touch it the car accelerates quicker. No hp gains or torque gains. The guys that build these engines have tried to get more hp for the 4.6 but tbe only tune is a piggy back ecm . 1000$ for maybe 8-10 hp. Gain.

Youll find that so called tuner is nothing more than a trottle postion adjuster. All it does it change the volts on the drive eire from the pedal to the trottle body making the pedal more sensitive so when you touch it the car accelerates quicker. No hp gains or torque gains. The guys that build these engines have tried to get more hp for the 4.6 but tbe only tune is a piggy back ecm . 1000$ for maybe 8-10 hp. Gain.
Gotta try to get the trims at the lower levels I have ran out of parts, ideas not as concerned about the hp gain as the fuel trims. I have made one more attempt with the MAF and I believe I mentioned have bought a ACDELCO part. (thinking the other one was not right calibration for this engine) I can not think of anything else, no leaks, new rubber, gaskets, clean fuel injectors and seals top and bottom, retorq and gaskets plenum dirty line at rear replaced, new filters, new air diffusor, throttle body, fuel pressure at 60 psi and held for 10 minutes.

Id say your wasting money on that so called tuner. You are not going to be able to adjust anything to do with fuel . buy a can of that new cat cleaner. Guaranteed to fix those codes.

Been there done that cataclean, seafoam. Well I think this journey has come to the end (with fingers crossed) the codes are resolved; the electrical tape lead me down the path of the MAF not being the correct one. I changed it to a AC Delco factory and for now seems to have corrected the problem. Of course will have to put a few miles on it to confirm but tech2 says it is good! Ya that's tech2 number 2 as the first one died on me. I took it out earler today to heat up the cats and then forgot to plug in the breather line to the diffuser and the engine light came on again! Damn put the breather on and cleared the engine lite and checked the trims bouncing between 0 and 2 well see.

Last edited:
I should point out beware of aftermarket parts the origional MAF was listed as fitting the 2005 xlr but by installing the factory supplied fixed the issue. Should have known there was somethng wrong when it was so hard to install, I had to break it out with a hammer just to get it off and screwed up the seal to the defussor in doing it, the factory one poped right in. Another tip; when shopping for things like the MAF look around I bought mine on EBay new for around $45.00 and Amazon and GM sites where $150+! Also check out people like mickytee he's a great contact and very knowledgeable .

Last edited:
How did the tune work out? The 04-06 mass air flow are smaller than the 06-09 and do not Interchange. the best bet is to buy the complete round plastic unit as some sell just the actual sensor to bolt into the housing. Ive not found those to work well as they are easily damaged.

How did the tune work out? The 04-06 mass air flow are smaller than the 06-09 and do not Interchange. the best bet is to buy the complete round plastic unit as some sell just the actual sensor to bolt into the housing. Ive not found those to work well as they are easily damaged.
So I found out (the hard way) and expensive, the MAF slipped right in where the other I bought was a bitch as I mentioned before had to break it out thus distroying the rubber seal. By Danny putting the elec tape on the wrong maf lead me to the change funny part is he made the same mistake and tried one that he had in the shop (wrong again) which leads me to question why he did not know the differance between the 04-06 and later years being larger in diameter. Havent ran it since the last test as I have been installing the roof cylinder. That was the hardests work I have ever experienced fought the rear bracket for days was unable to stab the back pin and had to run a die into the bolts as there was so much thread locker on them that I could not start or tighten them. It has been windy and cold so will be testing top, motor when the sun comes out.

Last edited:
Okay ran it about 100 miles today no engine light can not see much change with the tuner but will keep it on. On the trip I picked up your cable that you wanted as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with it no brakes in the rubber sill good starting to feel I got taken at any rate I am returning it to you as requested. I will need an address.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom