Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Code P0174 "System Too Lean"

I have to tap out at this point, you have tried everything I could think of and more. I purchased my car from an auction so I didn't get to test drive it either. I did at least get to look it over but I think I should have looked closer, the previous owner had concealed some problems that ended up costing a lot to correct. Live and learn. Good luck and please post your findings, I'm very curious to hear what you find.
We hang in there we are all in a learning curve and somthing tell's me this will be an ongoing learning lesson. I suppose I should be upset but one of the reason I bought this car is something to work on, polish the rims, clean up the interior, make the head light lenses clear clay bar and ceramic coat. So let's see rim done lights done interior done. Car to drive..... I will win no matter how much it cost!

Well latests update my mechanic called to let me know the ecm has bricked while trying to reflash ummm I suspected there was something wrong with it to start with. Being suspect I had ordered last week a reflashed latests program from online retailer along with my Vin number. Fingers crossed this resolves the lean codes once and for ever! Never a dull moment with this car.

Bad news on the brick-up. Hope you get that resolved.

The spark plug anti-foulers on the rear O2 sensors is a wise move and one I would look at doing on my own car. The rear sensors do not tell the ECM to make any adjustments, they just tell it whether your cats are functioning.

Keep posting your results!

John B.

Sharing information here. My check engine light kept coming on. Code P0174 "System Too Lean". I searched everywhere and tested everything. There were no vacuum leaks. None! The mass air sensor tested good. O2 sensors (4 ea.) all tested good. Gas cap tested good. Usually what causes a 'too lean code' is often, but not always, a vacuum leak. Outside air invading the fuel mixture somewhere. In short, I had ruled out every possible mechanical thing I could find that would set this code? To no avail. It kept coming on.

Finally took it to my Cadillac Dealer. They hooked up their Tech II Code Reader to The ECM. Found that the original XLR Settings had never been "re-flashed' (re-set) and their was a Service Bulletin on it at the dealership. They re-set The ECM using their Tech II and no more P0174 Code and no more check engine light on. Yea! :thumbsup Cost? $168.00. --- FYI, they also checked everything I had previously checked, and like me, found no issues with those items.

So yesterday I decieded to run the tech2 to see if the trims had changed after I burned 1/4 tank, recorded the information and brough it inside to read. I plugged it in to the inside power and now that will not work! DCtoDC converter quit (utube). Sooo after much debate and the 200 times trying to connect to the acdelco tds ordered a new ecm using my vin that is preprogramed to the latest software might have mentioned that before. Since the tech2 is nonop have spent about have the price of a new clone and ordered a VCX nano with wifi while I wait for the replacement tech2 part.
Looking at the ox sensors thinking of how in the hell to get to them might be the next change out. I really do not know if I want to try that yet. Might take it to midas and have them weld on some new converters the OEM one's are $900+ and my guess another $1000.00 to install. The paper tags will run out at the middle of this month (January) still no emission. Just to insure the work I have done went back pulled the injectors and checked the torque of the plenum. Next going to build a smoke machine to see if there is a leak somewhere else.
Someone asked about the VCX NANO; I haven't had my car back to test it on the car, but I finally got the software to load the trick is to go to the Java site and use that first then load from allscanners site for the most receint software. Next week will be testing on the car if and that is a big IF the ecm works as programed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the nano I'm still considering it. Good luck with the ECM, let us know how it works out.

Well have had plenty to time waiting for the new ecm and have been surfing for answers. I found from the GM tds site: Cars 2007 and later have no GDS support in fact all 2009 are not supported, except the HHR all others are tech2 tech2win.
* source acdelco tds resource tab. Forgive me if you long timers are snickering at me because that information was widly known (but not to me).

Found the problem MAF was not correct for the car installed an ACdelco and "think" it is resolved.

Hello RD, Sorry I can't be much help solving your problem. My only experience with fault codes was solved by making sure the wire connections were in tight, problem solved. I think that's more common than most people think, the shop I took it to first told me I needed a new throttle body. It sounds like you are way past that. The reason for my post is I am thinking about purchasing a VCX nano and was wondering if you are happy with yours. I know you have your hands full now but if you get a chance let me know your thoughts.
Thanks and good luck,
Dennis
The VCX nano was not very effective sent it back and bought another tech2 clone. I think why the other one blew
I left it on while starting and it could not handle the over voltage or the drop one of the two. So I turn it off while starting.

Thanks for the info on the VCX, I had changed my mind on that one and I'm still researching different units.

Well as I stated went back with the tech2 went to Harbor Freight and purchased a case to keep it in. Now when I use it I turn off the tech2 to start the engine, (I think that was the reason why the first one quit). After trying the VCX just did not give the kind of read out I wanted and the software had some virus issues. If I wanted to go all in might have went with a autel scanner then could be used on a greater number of vehicals but the price scared me away.

That's my concern also, if I spend that kind of money, I want to be able to use it on different vehicles. I'm looking at an Xtool, D7, I don't know anyone that has one but I have read some good reviews.

That's my concern also, if I spend that kind of money, I want to be able to use it on different vehicles. I'm looking at an Xtool, D7, I don't know anyone that has one but I have read some good reviews.
Looks like a good choice, let know if it meets your expectations.

Hey RD;
So did installing the correct ACDelco MAF indeed resolve the P0171 problems.
Do you recall the correct part number, maybe 213-1548?
This seems to be the one all the Suppliers are recommending and the one I have, but it did fit very tight and still fighting the P0171 and sometimes P0174.
thnx

Hey RD;
So did installing the correct ACDelco MAF indeed resolve the P0171 problems.
Do you recall the correct part number, maybe 213-1548?
This seems to be the one all the Suppliers are recommending and the one I have, but it did fit very tight and still fighting the P0171 and sometimes P0174.
thnx
Gm part number is GM 12573350 if the maf is hard to install it is the wrong one.https://www.ebay.com/itm/353523614573?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D I had to break out the end where it attaches to the rubber seal at the diffuser just to remove it. Got mine from Ebay but can not find the order now shop around I paid less than $50. for mine Amazon is three time that amount Rockauto has one and it is the 213-1548. If that did not correct I would check for vaccum leaks, the engine will speed up at the leak. You spray brake cleaner on all areas that have a rubber seal, diffuser, throttle body intake manifold, all rubber connections. I would also if you have the tools would pull the manifold reseal and clean and o ring the injectors. That maf is shorter and smaller in diameter than the others and the sensor is blocked not wide open you know it is the right one becase the diffuser will go in easly at the round rubber hold downs. That fustrates even the best xlr machanics I spent hundreds of dollars trying to get it corrected. Also one the gets missed is the hose coming off the valve cover to diffuser and the dirty arm coming from the back of the manifold. Check the difuser the bottom gets deformed where the connection to the throttle body. And while your at it clean the throttle body. A lot to take in but when it works you can not believe the feeling of fixing it! One last thing new filters!

Last edited:
Gm part number is GM 12573350 if the maf is hard to install it is the wrong one.https://www.ebay.com/itm/353523614573?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D I had to break out the end where it attaches to the rubber seal at the diffuser just to remove it. Got mine from Ebay but can not find the order now shop around I paid less than $50. for mine Amazon is three time that amount Rockauto has one and it is the 213-1548. If that did not correct I would check for vaccum leaks, the engine will speed up at the leak. You spray brake cleaner on all areas that have a rubber seal, diffuser, throttle body intake manifold, all rubber connections. I would also if you have the tools would pull the manifold reseal and clean and o ring the injectors. That maf is shorter and smaller in diameter than the others and the sensor is blocked not wide open you know it is the right one becase the diffuser will go in easly at the round rubber hold downs. That fustrates even the best xlr machanics I spent hundreds of dollars trying to get it corrected. Also one the gets missed is the hose coming off the valve cover to diffuser and the dirty arm coming from the back of the manifold. Check the difuser the bottom gets deformed where the connection to the throttle body. And while your at it clean the throttle body. A lot to take in but when it works you can not believe the feeling of fixing it! One last thing new filters!
Thank you for the details.
During COVID, I replaced most everything under the Hood.
All hoses (fuel, vacuum and coolant), Radiator, Thermostat, injectors, throttle body, MAF, MAP, Valve cover seals, Coils, Plugs, Intake Seals, Plenum and all 3 "Boots" or connectors. Not just throwing parts at it, just felt all needed to be replaced as it was at 140,000 miles/18years and all original.
It has/was running fine, last year had the AC Compressor replaced and a P0171 pops up occasionally. Started troubleshooting and finally found that when the Mechanic reinstalled the plenum he must have tightened the clamps with a breaker bar as the new plenum (rockauto $135) was deformed so much it was leaking at the throttle body connection. Corrected by heating up and inserting a short length of 3.5" ABS that I reduced to about 3.3" OD to act as a reinforcement, not going to bother replacing again as this is my 3rd.
Terrible designed intake/plenums, Shame as I never had any issues with my Corvettes but this car has always been problem with vacuum/intake leaks.
Seems to be working but have only driven a few short trips.
Thanks again for your assistance, J

Attachments

• IMG_0797 (1).JPG
    IMG_0797 (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0804 (1).JPG
    IMG_0804 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
Thank you for the details.
During COVID, I replaced most everything under the Hood.
All hoses (fuel, vacuum and coolant), Radiator, Thermostat, injectors, throttle body, MAF, MAP, Valve cover seals, Coils, Plugs, Intake Seals, Plenum and all 3 "Boots" or connectors. Not just throwing parts at it, just felt all needed to be replaced as it was at 140,000 miles/18years and all original.
It has/was running fine, last year had the AC Compressor replaced and a P0171 pops up occasionally. Started troubleshooting and finally found that when the Mechanic reinstalled the plenum he must have tightened the clamps with a breaker bar as the new plenum (rockauto $135) was deformed so much it was leaking at the throttle body connection. Corrected by heating up and inserting a short length of 3.5" ABS that I reduced to about 3.3" OD to act as a reinforcement, not going to bother replacing again as this is my 3rd.
Terrible designed intake/plenums, Shame as I never had any issues with my Corvettes but this car has always been problem with vacuum/intake leaks.
Seems to be working but have only driven a few short trips.
Thanks again for your assistance, J
The air diffuser get crushed by the rubber connector when installing you must connect to the diffuser first then to the throttle body the angle will deform the air diffuser. I had the same condition on mine mainly because the MAF was wrong and to long making it diffuclt to make the connection. The main problems come from the plenum not being torqued, and the small hose coming off the right side valve cover to the air diffuser, and in my case wrong MAF.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom