Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Full Story on Accident & Related Electrical Issues

joaustin

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue
At the risk of sounding crazy, I must ask a few questions.
1)Only weeks into my new admiration of my new 04 XLR while sitting a stop light. A Truck being driven by a tipsy fellow approached from the rear. All Things considered, He was doing a pretty good job, as he negotiated his way over the curb and down my right side until a telephone pole caused him decide on fate or my R. Door, R. Fender and the removal my R. Mirror. There was some slight damage along the entire side, but that area took the hardest hit. Replace Busted Door, Shattered Fender & Knocked R. Mirror off(mirror wiring was all tangled together). There seems to be more Brains on this thing than an Alien. Unfortunately one is tucked away at the R. Fender near the cowl. Until the encounter the Steering Tilt/Tele worked along w/ seat, mirror ie: as per Driver#1 or #2 settings. Now I only get a click from under the seat as all other functions work except R. Mirror and no steering column movement or repositioning. Insurance says can't relate? Cadillac Dealership Body Shop has not really untangled issue. However, They are also the Ins. Co. Preferred shop....So? Seems to be a far fetched coincidence that it occurred at the same time but they can't relate? The Body Shop thinks something happened when the Power Mirror wires came together or the Impact to the Brain located inside the R. Fender but nothing conclusive enough for the Ins. ANYONE KNOW OF A WAY THIS COULD BE RELATED? I'm at a loss. Maybe a Real One. I've been told I should be hurt but, my hurt is pretty much with my car that I searched so hard to find, one w/a good history, in good shape etc.

2) I'm not very familiar with Diminished Value? Although police made a visit and left with the guy, no report was filed. He was clearly at fault. Kinda Felt sorry for him. So anyway, I don't know if the acc is going to be on a car fax. Car was Never in an acc before 2nd owner car. On many cars I know the Vin#s are stamped on most of the original parts. I haven't seen that on the composite Door or Fender. Anyone know if such should exist? Should I be concerned about the replaced parts and repairs hurting the resale, even if work is done properly. Or any other concerns I should be thinking of?

THANKS FOR ANY ALLIES!!!!

Last edited:
Wow! I'm reallly sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad to hear you're okay!

I wouldn't be too surprised if the mirror wires tangling together shorted something out. The mirror, seat, and telescopic steering wheel are tied together somewhere to reset to the specified driver settings (1 or 2 or exit). I'd guess something got zapped out where the memory is stored for the devices. If that is the case, the BCM may need to be replaced (at least I think the BCM stores the memory for that stuff). It isn't terribly expensive and there are still some out there.

SIDE NOTE: Be sure the wiring harness for the control modules that are under the passenger's side front fender aren't compromised (cut insulation, etc). This could cause wacky issues in the future! Also be sure to check your HVAC controls and radio as well, since they have their own specific little memories for your preferences too. I assume you've tried to reset the settings for Driver 1 and Driver 2 unsuccessfully.

As for diminished value: you'll probably only be able to claim something IF you immediately sell it. It would be easy to prove now since you recently bought it. Otherwise, good luck.

Carfax: It will almost certainly be listed as repaired due to the certified repair facility and the insurance claim.

As a minor acciudent survivor myself (a motorcycle ran into me), I wouldn't worry about replaced parts hurting the value too much. Just get a good, quality repair. I kept the pictures from my accident as well as the repair records in case anyone questions it in the future (resale).

I don't know about Texas, but in my state you have the legal right to take your car to whatever repair shop you want, & not just the ins co preferred shop. Obviously that puts you in a haggle/negotiate with the ins co over what they will pay for, but it may well be worth it for you to try to find a XLR tech or at least get another Caddy dealer to look at it. They may find it IS related, which will give you some ammo for dealing with the ins co. You may have to initially pay out of pocket for the "second opinion," but given the cost of repairing most anything on these cars, especially computer or electrical, it's probably worth it.

I had a dealer tell me once it can take up to 6 mos for an accident to show up on Carfax (this concerned a car I had that was damaged, officer said he wrote the other driver a ticket, but he didn't nor did he do an accident report, & other driver's insurance paid the repairs). If you wanted, you could try to get this one sold off before the accident hits. However, based on what you said you probably don't want to do that, & at least even if it's repaired you can be confident of its condition. Not so true if you hunt up another XLR.

By the way, you have a great sense of humor about the "tipsy fellow" & his accident! Much better than I would be about it.

Wow! I'm reallly sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad to hear you're okay!

I wouldn't be too surprised if the mirror wires tangling together shorted something out. The mirror, seat, and telescopic steering wheel are tied together somewhere to reset to the specified driver settings (1 or 2 or exit). I'd guess something got zapped out where the memory is stored for the devices. If that is the case, the BCM may need to be replaced (at least I think the BCM stores the memory for that stuff). It isn't terribly expensive and there are still some out there.

SIDE NOTE: Be sure the wiring harness for the control modules that are under the passenger's side front fender aren't compromised (cut insulation, etc). This could cause wacky issues in the future! Also be sure to check your HVAC controls and radio as well, since they have their own specific little memories for your preferences too. I assume you've tried to reset the settings for Driver 1 and Driver 2 unsuccessfully.

As for diminished value: you'll probably only be able to claim something IF you immediately sell it. It would be easy to prove now since you recently bought it. Otherwise, good luck.

Carfax: It will almost certainly be listed as repaired due to the certified repair facility and the insurance claim.

As a minor acciudent survivor myself (a motorcycle ran into me), I wouldn't worry about replaced parts hurting the value too much. Just get a good, quality repair. I kept the pictures from my accident as well as the repair records in case anyone questions it in the future (resale).

Thank you for the info, Its still at the Cadillac dealer shop, went out today to follow up on the ideas you had, Thanks

I don't know about Texas, but in my state you have the legal right to take your car to whatever repair shop you want, & not just the ins co preferred shop. Obviously that puts you in a haggle/negotiate with the ins co over what they will pay for, but it may well be worth it for you to try to find a XLR tech or at least get another Caddy dealer to look at it. They may find it IS related, which will give you some ammo for dealing with the ins co. You may have to initially pay out of pocket for the "second opinion," but given the cost of repairing most anything on these cars, especially computer or electrical, it's probably worth it.

I had a dealer tell me once it can take up to 6 mos for an accident to show up on Carfax (this concerned a car I had that was damaged, officer said he wrote the other driver a ticket, but he didn't nor did he do an accident report, & other driver's insurance paid the repairs). If you wanted, you could try to get this one sold off before the accident hits. However, based on what you said you probably don't want to do that, & at least even if it's repaired you can be confident of its condition. Not so true if you hunt up another XLR.

By the way, you have a great sense of humor about the "tipsy fellow" & his accident! Much better than I would be about it.

Yes we can choose who we want to repair it also, I took it to a Cadillac dealer that has a shop to do the repairs, went and checked on it today, still working on it. Thanks for your response.

Bummer

Sorry to hear anout your travails with this accident. If it was my XLR I'd really be steamed by the circumstances you describe. Hope you get it properly sorted.

Sorry to hear anout your travails with this accident. If it was my XLR I'd really be steamed by the circumstances you describe. Hope you get it properly sorted.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom