Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Future New Owner

GMANsr

Hello Everyone. I'm planning on getting an XLR at the end of the year. I'd like to find one that starts out with a boatload of issues. The prices are as low as $12k and and as high as $25k from what I've seen. I'm torn between a base model and an XLR-V. Are there any advantages to having a V model? Is there a particular year model that I should stay away from? What are some common issues that I should be aware of? I've seen the Passion Red edition. I like those a lot.

Reactions: Rob
did you mean to say you "want one with a boatload of issues"? unless you are a good shopper for parts and like to work on one I would avoid one with issues. The savings you think you are getting will soon be lost in expense to repair. Many here have 04/05 and not had any issues .When you do with those years they are the most expensive to repair in terms of parts. 06 had a few known issues that were corrected in 07 and 08. then 09 got a face lift. 06/07/08 with decent mileage are going to be good cars to find. the V will demand a premium in price. Its a hot rod and cost no more to own once bought except maybe tires. The 19 inch wheel size limits you to a few expensive tires 18 inch stock wheels or 20 inch aftermarket allow a lot of tire choices from inexpensive to high dollar. All can be a great fun car to drive. I would research the known issues and make sure one you buy has had those addressed

good morning, due to illness am i gonna sell my 2006 black on cream xlr-v in near excellent condition with 40,000 miles on it................can send pics if you give me your email and if you have any interest ?. will be asking $30,000......has new ECM computer , just pro detailed ect.....needs tie rods.......... ron

I would suggest sticking with an 08 or 09, due to several problems with earlier models (top delamination ect.). Parts are hard to find for all models due to low production and no Cadillac support.

good morning, due to illness am i gonna sell my 2006 black on cream xlr-v in near excellent condition with 40,000 miles on it................can send pics if you give me your email and if you have any interest ?. will be asking $30,000......has new ECM computer , just pro detailed ect.....needs tie rods.......... ron
That's a bit more than what I'm looking to spend.

07 is a good year. Only the 05/06 have any issue with the tops delamanating and then only dark colors in hot areas where the car sees a lot of outside sun. Its not an issue if you know what to look for and catch it on the early ones before it comes completely off and used tops are cheap. 08 and 09 are a good choice but bring ( maybe I should say asking prices) are a lot higher.

Welcome, First off I agree with all the reply posts. Go on line and down load the owners manual and if you are mechanically inclined buy the service manual( there are many on line) . I purchased my 2009 in Jan of this year and have been correcting small problems myself. One major problem I had was the timing chains had to be replaced (46000 miles?) That along with valve cover replacements all done by the Cadillac dealer ( could not find a local service shop that would work on an XLR) be prepared to drop $4000.00. If you can find one that was well cared for you will love the car, if you are shopping for price the buyer beware. I have owned Corvettes, Allante and now the XLR and this is the best.

I have an 06 XLR-V purchased last year. After reading the issues some owners have on this forum I am blessed to have gotten a good one. The car definitely has it's quirks (like having to reset the windows periodically and the Stabilitrak notice from time to time) but mine is trouble free. My friend who was shopping these cars drove mine and said the V is a different car driving wise than the regular XLR. If you want all out speed get a new Vette.

We love these cars for their timeless beauty. I have been stopped several times by people asking if the car is new. You just don't see them very much. Hopefully you'll get one and are lucky enough for it to be trouble free for many years. Good luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom