Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gas Door Latch

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
About a year ago I installed a new spring on the gas door latch, lubed the latch, and cable, and it worked like a charm.

About a month ago it acted up, and a day later when the pin came out- I shot some Silicone in the pin area where it goes in and out . Then I tested it by pushing the release on the dash several times, and it was working fine!

Now the latch pin did not return when I got gas, for the second time; it's is stuck again!! I think it needs lubrication. at the pin, and the hole where it goes in and out. What would be the best lube for it??

I had the same issue once........a good shot of WD-40 on the pin area took care of it.

64126_W3.jpg

I now carry a plastic trim stick in the car,,,like the one on the far left with a thin bent edge, if the gas door ever again decides to not open.

Thank you for your kind reply! My problem wasn't getting it open, it was getting the pin out to hold it closed again.

I used moly grease. Its slicker than owl sh_t. Also the fuel release in truck , if you pull it the pin will pop back out. Wd-40 always a good choice as well

I used moly grease. Its slicker than owl sh_t. Also the fuel release in truck , if you pull it the pin will pop back out. Wd-40 always a good choice as well
Thak you; I heard Syl Glide lubricant from NAPA is very good too, and won't hold dust or dirt.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom