Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlamp washer repair my way

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
Out of the four XLRs we looked at before buying our Infrared XLR (which was missing both covers and one spray head), 3 of them had missing headlamp washer covers and two of them were missing a spray head on one side or the other. I don't know if the reason is just a faulty design, getting knocked off in the drive through car wash or what.
I figured I could replace the covers fairly easily but wasn't aware of the final cost. I wound up ordering replacement covers and sprayers. I never found the painted to match covers so just got the plain unpainted ones (covers). I got the matching spray paint and clear coat with the idea of using the paint for later touchups if needed.
Ccclarke graciously provided the remove and install instructions, and I found another set of instructions that didn't include removing the lower bumper fascia.
Since the driver's side was only missing the cover and the sprayer itself worked I tried to twist on the cover with no success. So I did the next best thing. The cover has locking lugs that engage the sprayer body but they wouldn't engage. So the Dremel tool came out, I ground down the two locking lugs, applied silicone sealant in the open spaces of the cover and applied the cover making sure it was aligned properly and wouldn't interfere with the spray pattern. One side down.
2015-11-04 14.25.53.jpg
These sprayers are two pieces. One piece is an insert into the sprayer tube and contains a small brass spray head much like you see on patio misters. The sprayer on the passenger side was missing that piece. (can't figure out how it got knocked off/out) After looking at it for several minutes it looked as if this small piece was pressed into the actual sprayer tube. I had an extra sprayer so I took one of them and with my Dremel again cut down the retaining portion of the sprayer which left me with a small "pod" containing the actual spray head.
2015-11-04 14.25.42.jpg
Going outside to the XLR and checking the fitment I found it was an exact fit. I used a gel type super glue on the bottom of this little pod and making sure of the alignment so the spray would hit the headlamp pressed it down into the existing spray tube and let it dry for an hour or two.
After letting the super glue dry, I turned on the windshield wipers and tested out my handiwork. Success!!. Both sprayers were really hitting the headlamps with good water velocity. I installed the passenger side spray cover like the driver's side.
So there's the fix without taking the bumper off. All looks good and the covers won't get knocked off as easily either. Although I hardly ever go through an automatic car wash anymore, I much prefer hand washing drying with towels.

Side note: I don't know how much pressure the washer pump puts out, but before I repaired the passenger side sprayer I found out. I was making sure there was water supply getting to the sprayers so was testing the system out. The broken sprayer shot water out about 4 feet above the top of the bumper!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom