Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlights.

Sorry ...bought an 09 broken headlight to transplant into my 05 headlight case. No this ism nor a plug and play transfer. A wire was pulled out of the solenoid that operates the hi/ low beam. Found a replacement and with a couple of minor mods it fit. Was not successful in removing the outer lens but stopped short of deforming it. Had to cut the back out with great care and with a bit of enginuity and a few mods all the 09 gear was installed. All functions work and all the afs codes from direct wiring the 05 (5pin) into.the 10 pin chassis plug have corrected. The hen 1 headlight cost me $200 some years ago and the broken 09 was $50 so $250 and some time( about 10 hours) on the bench has my baby happy again at a lot less than available price now. I was told it could not be done. If we want to keep them on the road we have to work outside the box and li es that limit us. Remember! The real enemy and villain in all this is GM . If they don't want to support them that is fine but stop giving us, the owners, the middle finger and let the specks loose so aftermarket replacements can be made. Shame on all of you at GM.....please feel free to kiss where I can't. For the forum. Don't take no for an answer. I have replaced the burned out led's in a taillight and modified this headlight so never give up you can fi d a way to do it if you try.

First you got a heck of a deal if you bought a used headlight for 50$ with a good lens. and an 06-09 in any condition brings 400 or so so You did great. Im not sure about the "it can't be done" as myself and at least 3 or 4 others have done it.Over the years. I personally found d that because the 04-05 lens is made out of such poor material and will chicken scratch the lens which cracks all the way thru and cannot be polished out that it was not a good option for me. i woukd not classify it as swapping the parts out. what has been said like you found out its not a simple unbolt the later parts and install them in the old headlight. The wirings different as you stated . you basically have to use everything from the 09 except the lens and refector. its not a simple job. . Glad you got it up and going. Maybe post some photos for those that want to try it themselves.

It was someone on this site that said it would not fit. I did use all the 09 parts except the turn indicator lens as it was not accessible without removing the front lens. As far as using the gen 1 ....ya do what you have to. If I had a gen 2 I would not have this problem in the first place. There was no wiring problems. A wire was pulled from the solenoid during the wreck Making it useless. The replacement had a larger barrel so I had to open the hole a bit. I would not suggest doing any this on the kitchen table. I will state again that the problem is GM and the lowlife that is doing this in the first place. Middle finger up high to all at Gm!!!

I think its pretty much all cars. The new f150 has a rear corner sensor in the taillight.for measuring distance for the cruise or something. The lights leak. Its 3000$ to replace the light and module as its not sold by itself and once wet the module fails knocking bout half the cruise and other festures. GM had a large stash of lights but the 06 lens failure with so many blowing off they used up all the stock on warranty claims. I like what BMW does. They let Bosch or whoever makes their parts continue to make and sell them after a certain period.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom