Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello to my fellow XLR owners

rmatt

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Blue Steel XLR
I thought I had this whole intro thing done about a month ago when I purchased my 2006 Xenon Blue XLR. Well.....apparently it didn't take so I'll give it another shot! Anyway... I purchased it from a guy in Jersey. Car looks great, runs great. It does have its problems though but nothing that wont allow me to enjoy it....for now! I say that due to some of the horror stories I've read about on this site. Initially had a problem with entering the car because of faulty/dirty door switches. Learned about GMPartsDirect.com from this site and immediately ordered 2 door switches. The parts are inexpensive so I figured if I was replacing the driver side might as well do the passenger side also. After ordering the parts I decided to go ahead and remove one of them to see what was involved. After removing the driver side switch (two screws and an electrical connector) I noticed about 6 or 7 small screws on the back and decided to take the switch apart just two see what was inside. Can't help myself!!! Inside I found a copper circuit type board and decided to clean it up with 2000 grit sand paper. Then sprayed it down with electronics cleaner and finished it off by wiping it down with a paper towel sprayed with WD40. Put everything back together and VIOLA!!!! Worked like a charm! Now I have two extra new door switches that I'll hold on to for future use. The more significant issue is with the fuel gauge. The previous owner informed me that after filling the tank the fuel gauge would drop to empty after driving it about 50 miles. Sure enough while driving the car home the gauge dropped to E and "service fuel system" came across the DIC. I'm assuming it's one of the fuel level sensors. Seems to be an issue with XLR/Corvette vehicles. As recommended on this site I have added a can of Sea Foam to see if that will clean the sensors before I go any further. I understand that in order to replace those sensors you have to remove the mufflers and the axles. Seeing how the XLR will be a project/pleasure vehicle I'll save that for another day. Really happy to be an XLR owner. Never thought that would ever happen but here I am. I look forward to learning and sharing more experiences about these extraordinary vehicles with my now fellow XLR owners. Until next time.

Try Techron (cheap at Walmart). Real chemistry in that. Follow the instructions, run your tanks almost empty then put it in and fill your tank.

Do a couple tank fulls. Helped one person at least, but yours really sounds like it's broken.

(snip) The more significant issue is with the fuel gauge. The previous owner informed me that after filling the tank the fuel gauge would drop to empty after driving it about 50 miles. Sure enough while driving the car home the gauge dropped to E and "service fuel system" came across the DIC. I'm assuming it's one of the fuel level sensors. Seems to be an issue with XLR/Corvette vehicles. As recommended on this site I have added a can of Sea Foam to see if that will clean the sensors before I go any further. I understand that in order to replace those sensors you have to remove the mufflers and the axles. Seeing how the XLR will be a project/pleasure vehicle I'll save that for another day. Really happy to be an XLR owner. Never thought that would ever happen but here I am. I look forward to learning and sharing more experiences about these extraordinary vehicles with my now fellow XLR owners. Until next time.

Welcome to The Club ! : )

By all means use The Techron Injector Cleaner!!!! Same thing happened to mine. Usually just gas varnish/gum on the sending unit causing it to stick. Unless of course there is a hole in the float, but somewhat unlikely I think. Gumout also works at dissolving the varnish. When mine did this (dropped to empty) I ran the gas down somewhat, put in two small cans of Gumout, as was on a trip and they didn't have The Techron, and walla, started working again. Hasn't stuck since. :cool:

Again, welcome to The XLR Club.

Techron

By all means use The Techron Injector Cleaner!!!! Same thing happened to mine. Usually just gas varnish/gum on the sending unit causing it to stick. Unless of course there is a hole in the float, but somewhat unlikely I think. Gumout also works at dissolving the varnish. When mine did this (dropped to empty) I ran the gas down somewhat, put in two small cans of Gumout, as was on a trip and they didn't have The Techron, and walla, started working again. Hasn't stuck since. :cool:

Again, welcome to The XLR Club.
I've been checking out Techron products and will definitely use it on the next fill-up. Chevron even claims that it good for that purpose and I've seen that other members also recommend it. Thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone used Royal Purple Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer? It's a buck more on Amazon than Techron but has slightly better overall feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Ones I Have Used Overall

Has anyone used Royal Purple Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer? It's a buck more on Amazon than Techron but has slightly better overall feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not used Royal Purple, but have watched all the reviews on You Tube. Most recently by Chris Fix. He and others swear by Sea Foam. I have also run Sea Foam, Techron, Gumout, and Lucas in the past. My personal experience has been the best with original formula Gumout and to a some what lesser degree, The Lucas fuel cleaner. Both simply added to the gas tank. My best results were with The Gumout, several consecutive treatments. Three to five tank fills of gas. This on an SUV that was badly carboned up. --- Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others here will have different takes on this subject.

FYI, Sea Foam says you can use it in the oil. To me, this seems like a really bad idea. Take a chance on dilution of oil viscosity?

I have not used Royal Purple, but have watched all the reviews on You Tube. Most recently by Chris Fix. He and others swear by Sea Foam. I have also run Sea Foam, Techron, Gumout, and Lucas in the past. My personal experience has been the best with original formula Gumout and to a some what lesser degree, The Lucas fuel cleaner. Both simply added to the gas tank. My best results were with The Gumout, several consecutive treatments. Three to five tank fills of gas. This on an SUV that was badly carboned up. --- Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others here will have different takes on this subject.

FYI, Sea Foam says you can use it in the oil. To me, this seems like a really bad idea. Take a chance on dilution of oil viscosity?

Yeah I wouldn't put ANYTHING in my crankcase besides Mobile 1. Generally I avoid all the snake-oil stuff, but I've been getting just a touch of rough-idle at cold start and based on what I've read this may just do the trick. We'll see. :spin:

Welcome and I am also new, newer than you to the XLR. I am at work and only drove my car from the dealership to my house then left to goto work. This site is very informative and everyone here seem to be much willing to help and say hi than on the Vet forum. Can't wait to get home and pop the top, not on a cold one but on the XLR. . Have a great weekend.

Welcome and I am also new, newer than you to the XLR. I am at work and only drove my car from the dealership to my house then left to goto work. This site is very informative and everyone here seem to be much willing to help and say hi than on the Vet forum. Can't wait to get home and pop the top, not on a cold one but on the XLR. . Have a great weekend.

Well, you CAN pop both of 'em if you want.............

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom