Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

help - location of trunk key

I would have to go with Phrede on this one. It just makes sense not to push the envelope. Pilots push it doing a loop and every once in a while plant their faces in the ground. I'll push the yellow button. We all have our own choices. Good choice Phrede. I was also told by a tech in BG in 07 at Rendezvous II that forcing the trunk to close or open can blow the whole system. When using the trunk key in the rear bumper to open the trunk, the system is de-activated so it doesn't effect the mechanism. You have the choice First Robin.

I never indicated closing the trunk by hand all the time. An XLR certified tech pointed out to me it does not hurt the system if you do have to close it by hand plus Cadillac also made the same statement to me. I never close mine by hand but I happen to have seen it done at the dealers and a sales person went ballistic. Don't twist my words Bob. I thought we were done with you when you got kicked off the other forum.

You twist your own words and BTW I wasn't kicked off, I got sick of hearing your BS and kicked myself off. Boy, you sure can be an arrogant a$$.
I never indicated closing the trunk by hand all the time. An XLR certified tech pointed out to me it does not hurt the system if you do have to close it by hand plus Cadillac also made the same statement to me. I never close mine by hand but I happen to have seen it done at the dealers and a sales person went ballistic. Don't twist my words Bob. I thought we were done with you when you got kicked off the other forum.

What would you do

Your in a parking lot, your car has lost battery power. The only way to access the car is to open the trunk manually. You then open the doors with the manual release, so you can check your battery. You find the battery is failed and needs to be replaced. So now you are stuck with an open trunk, do you try to close manually or leave it open while it is being transported on a tow truck. Personally I would take the chance to close it, rather than leaving it open and having the hydraulics and linkages subjected to the vibration while on the tow truck.
What would you do?

Call my local dealer and lay it their lap for the decision. Now I'm covered if they say leave it open or close it.
Your in a parking lot, your car has lost battery power. The only way to access the car is to open the trunk manually. You then open the doors with the manual release, so you can check your battery. You find the battery is failed and needs to be replaced. So now you are stuck with an open trunk, do you try to close manually or leave it open while it is being transported on a tow truck. Personally I would take the chance to close it, rather than leaving it open and having the hydraulics and linkages subjected to the vibration while on the tow truck.
What would you do?

What would you do?

The correct thing to do would be to open the bypass valve on the hydraulic unit then gently lower the trunk.

Now I understand why you are called Madmac:laugh: Why don't you throw in there, it's raining or their is an earthquake?:chuckle Actually there is no answer because you have made it an open ended question. There was no mention of what day it was therefore the question should be null and void.
But just to humor you, I would throw a hand grenade under it before leaving. Have a cool one on me :drink:

It is a long weekend and they will not be open for 3 days.

What would you do?

I would release the bypass valve on the pump as per the owners manual when moving the top manually. then close the the trunk. :) Al

The correct thing to do would be to open the bypass valve on the hydraulic unit then gently lower the trunk.

i don't disagree but if you read the 2006 owners manual starting on page 2-49 on how to close the top manually the instructions you tell you
1) you open the trunk manually
2) bypass the pump
3) close the top.
4) once the top is closed and secured close the bypass
5) then close the trunk manually.

So while some are holding a 3 day tailgate party, wrapped up in a survival blanket waiting for their local dealership to give them an answer others are resting comfortably at home.

trunk closing

well here is my experience with a trunk lid that wouldn't close with the button.

a few years ago before i bought my 09 i had a 07 XLR. can't remember why i had the trunk lid open but when i went to close it with automatically it wouldn't close. after about four hours i decided to just get in the car with the trunk lid up and drive it to the cadillac dealership five miles away(they were still open)

i tried to keep the speed down to around twenty miles per hour...everyone passing me kept flashing light and pointing at the back of the car yelling "your trunk is open" (no s_ _ _, like i couldn't tell)

i got about two mile up the road and all of a sudden i heard the lid slowly going down. pulled over and checked and it went all the down on its own and locked. i waited tip i got to the dealership a few minutes later before attempting to open it again with tech .

the trunk opened automatically with trunk buttons and closed also. tried it again a few times and everything was normal again.

just the pressure from the 20 mph wind closed the lid.

don't know if that 07 had problems again because thats when i saw the 09 for sale and made the switch.

XLR certified techs are not infallible! I've heard the builders of the trunk system say otherwise. I chose to believe the people who build them. I really don't care what you do to your own car. Personally, I wouldn't let a child touch a car in the showroom, then there would be no issue to begin with.

The "done with you" statement is uncalled for. If you so dislike reading someone's, anyone's, comments that much I suggest that you change your forum settings so that they are ignored.

well here is my experience with a trunk lid that wouldn't close with the button.

a few years ago before i bought my 09 i had a 07 XLR. can't remember why i had the trunk lid open but when i went to close it with automatically it wouldn't close. after about four hours i decided to just get in the car with the trunk lid up and drive it to the cadillac dealership five miles away(they were still open)

i tried to keep the speed down to around twenty miles per hour...everyone passing me kept flashing light and pointing at the back of the car yelling "your trunk is open" (no s_ _ _, like i couldn't tell)

i got about two mile up the road and all of a sudden i heard the lid slowly going down. pulled over and checked and it went all the down on its own and locked. i waited tip i got to the dealership a few minutes later before attempting to open it again with tech .

the trunk opened automatically with trunk buttons and closed also. tried it again a few times and everything was normal again.

just the pressure from the 20 mph wind closed the lid.

don't know if that 07 had problems again because thats when i saw the 09 for sale and made the switch.

Did you consider it was not the wind? Maybe it moved just enough to satisfy a sensor and the hydraulics closed it? I would think that air resistance at full up could be substantial. When near closed, not so much. I have had my trunk open in more that 20MPH winds and it did not go down :dunno:.

Al & Phrede, all in fun, I was having a good time with the million dollar question. I thought I knew my book backward and forwards, guess not. I remember back in 06 when I sat in my driveway with the car running going through the manual page by page trying everything for about two days, I must have missed that one, but I was able to help people that hadn't read it and 8 years later I get help. Thanks:wave:

HEY, Let' all try to get along!!! :( Al

Now I understand why you are called Madmac:laugh: Why don't you throw in there, it's raining or their is an earthquake?:chuckle Actually there is no answer because you have made it an open ended question. There was no mention of what day it was therefore the question should be null and void.
But just to humor you, I would throw a hand grenade under it before leaving. Have a cool one on me :drink:

All in good jest, but just so that you know , I read the owners manual before I posed my question.

Last edited:
Like said in a earlier post. My wife went to close the trunk manually when I first got mine. She reached on top the lid and applied pressure. Before the sound came out of my mouth "NO" the top went down under its own power. I informed her of the button and "don't touch the car":( I would think over powering the hydraulics and linkage is not a good thing. Theirs no need it has a button that does it for you "why". Now in a stranded situation maybe,but I'm not pressing my luck with the top. Plus there's the bypass valve. Last I wouldn't believe anything out of a salesman mouth,and I have two in the "family"!

Do you work at the military vet center in Phoenix and isn't that cooking the books?:laugh:

You are right, and feel free to drop in any time for your next meal. We will have a book on the BBQ just for you. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back