Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Horn honks three times

Mountsberg, Ontario, Ca., winters: Port Charlotte
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic
Lately my car is honking its horn at me as I walk away. I have looked in my owners manual: it says if you leave the fob I the car and get out it will warn you by beeping the horn 3 times......but the fob is in my purse on my shoulder. My personals settings on the car is not set to auto lock as I find that a PIA when you car is in the garage and you have to have your fob to grab your sunglasses etc.

Can this be symptoms of the fobs batteries getting low? (I will go get new ones anyway) Or is there another reason my car is talking to me?

Thanks for you thoughts,

Could your fob two be in the car.

Nope.
I have noticed that it seems to do that in the garage but not usually in a parking lot. I am wondering if it is because I am closer to the car in the garage. In a parking lot I always park on the far edge of an end spot or in a Handicap spot if there are lots of them available (Yes, I have my handicap tag but don't use if there are not lots of spots) so as a result I don't walk away from the car fairly close to it as I do in garage. Perhaps it thinks at the moment the door closes that the fob is still in the car?

Key 2 might be close enough for your car to see it inside your house.

Many people have found they need to put their keys in a metal box if they have them to close to the car.

It can kill your battery while the car keeps reaching out for a close key.

Key 2 might be close enough for your car to see it inside your house.

Many people have found they need to put their keys in a metal box if they have them to close to the car.

It can kill your battery while the car keeps reaching out for a close key.

Fob2 is 2 rooms away inside the house. I used to have the car set to auto lock but stopped that as I found it to be a pain if I needed something out of the car, I had to get a fob: so a am pretty sure the other fob is far enough away as he has always kept his key in the same spot.

OMG IT'S HONKING WHEN IT SHOULDN'T YOU SHOULD GET RID OF IT!!!! :chuckle (kidding!)

Have you tried turning the auto lock on & off again a few times? Maybe something is hung up with that & it thinks that's still on. I'll mess around with manuals & stuff & see if something pops up.

Do you think this is turned on? Even if you don't have a fob in the car, maybe there's something going on with this.

Fob Reminder

This feature sounds the horn three times when thedriver door is closed and there is a keyless accesstransmitter inside the interior of the vehicle. This will onlyoccur when the vehicle is off. The DIC will display FOB REMINDER OFF or FOB REMINDER HORN. Press the OPTIONS buttonto change the setting.

Last edited:
Sandy, I thought they fixed this issue in the '09s, but maybe not. With my '06, if you walk next to the left front fender after you shut the door, mine will also beep 3 times. There is a TSB to fix this. :thumbsup It involves a visit to your nearest Tech2 person, to download software (!) into your car that redefines the areas for the car to check for a fob still in the car. There is a thread here on it, complete with the TSB. I carry the paperwork in my car that outlines the procedure, so I'll get it fixed the next time I have to make a dealer trip.

Should be an easy fix. My work-around is to closely check out my left rear fender for about 8 seconds after shutting the door, and it's OK once the car locks.

:wave:

Tim

Lately my car is honking its horn at me as I walk away. I have looked in my owners manual: it says if you leave the fob I the car and get out it will warn you by beeping the horn 3 times......but the fob is in my purse on my shoulder. My personals settings on the car is not set to auto lock as I find that a PIA when you car is in the garage and you have to have your fob to grab your sunglasses etc.

Can this be symptoms of the fobs batteries getting low? (I will go get new ones anyway) Or is there another reason my car is talking to me?

Thanks for you thoughts,

Sandy, I thought they fixed this issue in the '09s, but maybe not. With my '06, if you walk next to the left front fender after you shut the door, mine will also beep 3 times. There is a TSB to fix this. :thumbsup It involves a visit to your nearest Tech2 person, to download software (!) into your car that redefines the areas for the car to check for a fob still in the car. There is a thread here on it, complete with the TSB. I carry the paperwork in my car that outlines the procedure, so I'll get it fixed the next time I have to make a dealer trip.

Should be an easy fix. My work-around is to closely check out my left rear fender for about 8 seconds after shutting the door, and it's OK once the car locks.

:wave:

Tim

Ok, so what is TSB. if I search that it comes back insufficient info. I had tried searching honking horn before I posted my inquiry. Any hints on how to search to find what you are talking about that you printed would be appreciated.

Found It!

Hi, Sandy. TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Sorry if that isn't the correct terminology here, but they're what we called them in our dealership.

I found my printout. This issue was discussed here.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Tim

Ok, so what is TSB. if I search that it comes back insufficient info. I had tried searching honking horn before I posted my inquiry. Any hints on how to search to find what you are talking about that you printed would be appreciated.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom