Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! How can I get the the AC compresser out to replace it??

Hi Steve,
Ouch. "The A/C compressor is removed through the RH front wheel house opening. It is necessary to lower the engine cradle assembly to allow adequate clearance during removal." :(

All I have on HVAC attached. HTH!

Gord

Attachments

• HVAC 1.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 131
  • hvac 2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
Are these instruction
Hi Steve,
Ouch. "The A/C compressor is removed through the RH front wheel house opening. It is necessary to lower the engine cradle assembly to allow adequate clearance during removal." :(

All I have on HVAC attached. HTH!

Gord

for a 2005 XLR??

Dealers charged 6 hours labor to replace the bracket that hold the compressor on. Once compressor removed its just5 bolts so the main labor is the compressor itself.

Specificly; Does the AC compressor come out from the bottom, or the top, of the engine compartment???; and what, if anything; has to be removed to get it out??

Morning Steve,
Did you have a look at the PDF files? Around page 52 there's 'the procedure' and it's lengthy unfortunately. You'll have to drop the subframe (support the engine!) and all sorts of other stuff then remove the compressor through the right front wheel well.

If you've seized the compressor, you're also then committed to changing the condenser and a few other AC components in fear that they've become contaminated...and they can't be properly cleaned out so must be replaced.

Have a read and look over all the components they describe on the actual car. I think that will give you a clearer understanding of the somewhat formidable task at hand.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a shortcut, please let it be known!

HTH!

Gord

Morning Steve,
Did you have a look at the PDF files? Around page 52 there's 'the procedure' and it's lengthy unfortunately. You'll have to drop the subframe (support the engine!) and all sorts of other stuff then remove the compressor through the right front wheel well.

If you've seized the compressor, you're also then committed to changing the condenser and a few other AC components in fear that they've become contaminated...and they can't be properly cleaned out so must be replaced.

Have a read and look over all the components they describe on the actual car. I think that will give you a clearer understanding of the somewhat formidable task at hand.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a shortcut, please let it be known!

HTH!

Gord
I'm 86 yrs. of age; what and where is the PDF File??

Hi Steve,
There are 2 file attachments on the second post in this 'thread' (conversation).

Those attachments are the instructions for removal and are 'PDF' (Portable Document Format) files which once downloaded to your computer, should allow you to read on the screen or print (as you wish), using any number of 'PDF readers'.

Odds are, your computer is already equipped with the program to read these and if not, visit www.adobe.com where a PDF reader program can be downloaded free of charge.

Best wishes Steve,

Gord

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry