Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How to Mod the 12v Power Plug to always on?

Nightshift

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V (Platinum/Ebony) 2008 SRX-4 Sport (White/Cashmere)
I'm hoping someone here can tell me how to change the 12v power plug inside the armrest console so that it always stays live. I keep my cell phone in the car most of the time and plugged in so the battery stays topped up. The problem is that that power plug is only on when the car is running ... it shuts down after a few minutes once the car is turned off ... to conserve battery power I assume. I know from years of experience with other cars that a cell phone charging will never run a battery down even after weeks of no use, so I'd like to change the power feed to this plug so it always stays on. Is this possible in an XLR? Bill

A charger never runs a car battery down? Don't think I'd try it on these XLR's. Read some of the posts in the Electrical section. It seems that these cars eat batteries!

A charger never runs a car battery down? Don't think I'd try it on these XLR's. Read some of the posts in the Electrical section. It seems that these cars eat batteries!
Well you likely know more than me on this. I am just going from my own personal experience with a cell charger always on in all my other cars. In my 06 SRX for example, it's been charging a phone (always turned on) continuously for over 4 years and I've never had the car battery go dead, even after long periods of the car sitting in the garage for a month at a time. I suspect it's due to the very low draw a cell phone takes once it's topped up.

Now I fully realize my XLR has way more stuff using battery power, and for this reason, I always start the car before raising or lowering the roof for example.

BTW ... where is the "electrical section"?

The computers in these cars seem to be always 'talking' to one another, and searching for fob signals that may be present. I don't think I would make that power supply 'live' all the time. You will probably find you will be replacing the battery if you do. My V sits in the wintertime up to three months and I always put a battery tender on it, so I know it is good to go come springtime.

You must not use your cell phone much, if it is always in the car charging:lol::lol:

Well you likely know more than me on this. I am just going from my own personal experience with a cell charger always on in all my other cars. In my 06 SRX for example, it's been charging a phone (always turned on) continuously for over 4 years and I've never had the car battery go dead, even after long periods of the car sitting in the garage for a month at a time. I suspect it's due to the very low draw a cell phone takes once it's topped up.

Now I fully realize my XLR has way more stuff using battery power, and for this reason, I always start the car before raising or lowering the roof for example.

BTW ... where is the "electrical section"?

The computers in these cars seem to be always 'talking' to one another, and searching for fob signals that may be present. I don't think I would make that power supply 'live' all the time. You will probably find you will be replacing the battery if you do. My V sits in the wintertime up to three months and I always put a battery tender on it, so I know it is good to go come springtime.

You must not use your cell phone much, if it is always in the car charging:lol::lol:
You are right about that Cubby ... I probably use it for 10 outbound calls/month, and a few inbound ones ... mostly from my wife wondering why I'm not home yet :rolleyes: I hate carrying them in my pocket, that's why they are always left (95% of the time) in the car.

When I store the XLR in the winter, I also put it on a battery tender too, same as the Harley. Otherwise the security system will eventually run the battery down, and I like it ready to go at any moment. I guess I'll have to try and get used to turning the phone off and remembering to turn it on when I go. :( Bill

Nightshift, Sack the cell phone and use the onstar phone.. Always there, hands free, never needs charging.. [except for the bill]....

Gatorwilly

If you are a Verizon customer, you can have the OnStar tied to your existing account and share the minutes.

Nightshift, Sack the cell phone and use the onstar phone.. Always there, hands free, never needs charging.. [except for the bill]....

Gatorwilly

Verizon and Onstar no longer offer the change over of the Onstar phone to a Verizon number.

We have our XLR's and Escalade on that plan. When we purchased a CTS last year, we contacted them about making the change and we were told that they don't offer that program anymore. :pat:

Gatorwilly
Trouble is that OnStar is a little hard to put in your pocket when you get out of the car. I don't need to take the phone with me much, but when I do, I'd prefer not to have to carry a 3,800 lb one! :blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom