Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Howdy from the desert SW!

mjensen2k

Hey everyone! I'm a car enthusiast, an electrical engineer/software engineer and have loved the XLR from the beginning. I'd not been in a position to own one, but am potentially scheming up an idea and thought this would be a great place to get feedback.

This might be sacrilege, but as I said I'm am electrical engineer and have been looking for an EV project. I have looked at a number of options, but I'm very intrigued by the idea of converting an XLR!

Drop the front and rear subframe/assemblies and the drive train of course. The track is 62.2", exactly the same as a Tesla model 3. Perhaps I can marry the two by adapting the mounts?

XLR style, interior, hardtop convertible with a high performance model 3 rear motor putting out 536hp and 445 lb-ft of torque. I'd have that structured center tunnel for batteries and wiring/cooling routing. I'd have room for controls/batteries in the big Northstar space as well as wherever else I can find. I'm chatting with a battery supplier about custom battery packs to fit into the spaces as efficiently as possible. Targeting 90+ kWh of storage and enough juice to fully use all that hp.

The controls will be a mess, I'm sure, but my electrical controls experience should help here.

What do you think about the idea of an e-XLR? or XLR-e?

Mike

Let me know how that works outs sound great but a lot of time to be invested. But you will love the XLR.

5 years ago you could find XLR that needed an engine as used ones were scarce and brough big bucks . now you can get a good low mileage motor for under a grand. The engine ,transmission and rear are the most reliable items on the car. replace them with electric and you have not fixed the major problems the car has. I have 20-30 thin client computers that I will give you if you can write either the suspension program or the top program to them .they are small enough and dedicated so they would be a great replacement.

Not sure I understand about the thin client computers. I have written in many languages and at the lowest of levels. Coupled with my control system experience, I can do a lot, but don't know what I don't know yet.

You did mention suspension as a problem. My naïve thoughts are as follows:

Dropping the front and rear subassemblies/frames takes out the following:
Motor, transmission, front and rear ends, including axels, brakes, suspension differential, etc. *poof* one problem gone - haha

The stock track is the same width at a Tesla model 3. If I can adapt the subframe/cradle mounts, then it'd have a whole different suspension, drive train, etc.

That doesn't address the top of course!

I'm just not interested in an ICE right now. I'm looking for a great ride to make electric.

thin clients are small fully contained computers that can be programmed to operate machinery or games or many things . replacing it with a complete subframe would be the easy part. They are about the same size as the suspension module in the car now. Not sure what ICE means . I do know you will have trouble finding room to put a whole lot of batteries in the car. Dropping a unit out and another in is not the hard part .I would just buy a GM electric motor and install it like ford did with the pickup at sema. very cool truck

SEMA 2021: Ford Introduces 'Eluminator' Electric Crate Motor

Thanks Mickey. I'm familiar with the boxes, but didn't understand where you intended to use them, but do now, thanks. That truck was very cool indeed!

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

In example of why I'd do it this way, the hard way: Instead of buying a 3d printer with all the bells and whistles I bought a used broken one with 'good bones' and pulled it apart, upgraded parts including a completely new control board, fixed things and created new parts. it's a bit of a Frankenstein now but runs awesome and I know it inside and out.

Another, Instead of buying an expensive premade RC car, I bought a floor pan and selected every component and built it from scratch. It also runs great and I know it inside and out. Now I've begun writing controller software on my Raspberry Pi to control the 4wd and steering. Coupled with the sensors I'm installing will become whatever I want it to be.

Haha, I'm a gluten for punishment!

got you .well you get the parts and I will come out and make them fit. I am a sort of make it fit but not always make it run guy. I have not kept up with all the electronics on newer cars . I like the fabrication aspect myself. Give me a call sometimes. I sent my phone per PM.

So life has thrown me quite the curve ball!

I accepted an offer on the East Coast so am now located in Virginia. However it's a condo without anyplace (or time?) To work on an electrified XLR, so this is going on indefinite hold...

The XLR has no subframe it has a full hydroformed frame.

Better look at the C5-6-7 & XLR they all have a frame, a sub frame is used on a unibody such as the C4 Corvette and all FWD vehicles including all years of the Camaro.

Man I have been doing collision work for 40 years. I know what a subframe is. I know how the frame on the vette is made and I have replaced partial rails and front and rear crossmembers over 50 times . I am GM certified for that operation along with Icar.I do know what a SUBFRAME is. Gm calls the suspension crossmember a subframe on many units not just unibody models .The orignal camaro had a SUBFRAME which was a half frame half unibody. referring to the suspension crossmembers as a subframe it totally in agreement with ICar , and other collision sources .The crossmember is a part of the structural integrity of the car . Unlike the upper smc inner aprons which are non structural. here are just 12 people i n the business that agree with me.

Retired after 40 years from GM Engineering and worked on 1968, 1984 Corvette prototypes, we never called a crossmember a subframe.

Attachments

• Screenshot (266).png
    Screenshot (266).png
    391.8 KB · Views: 128
well thank you for your service and welcome to 2022 where 99% of the people do call it that and totally understand what you are talking about.
new defintiton

Summary:

• The subframe is a component in your vehicle's chassis.
  • This component is a separate structure within a significantly larger monocoque or body-on-frame shell where the engine, drivetrain, suspension, and steering components are housed.
  • A subframe has three basic forms, all of which have varying functions.
I think body on shell would describe the XLR as it is bonded rather than bolted one.

people call it soda, pop, cola, coke, soft drink , most understand what you are talking about

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom