Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hydraulic trunk lift cylinder Gm part #88957088

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
It seems that this part is on back order, and GM does not have an ETA on when it will be back in stock. To date I have spent about $2500.00 in parts for the trunk and top mechanisms, now this hydraulic cylinder has failed and is leaking. Right now my trunk will open about 4 -6 inches and immediately shut close, it will take about 3 attempts to fully open. Is it possible to have these cylinders repaired or rebuilt? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Hyd Cyl.jpg

2 dealers show to have one in stock at 770-953-0100 and 352-787-4300 . They are most likely ordered for someone. Your dealer can have the mtransfered but I found its much easier and usually cheaper to order it direct from the dealer that has it in stock and then take it to your dealer

2 dealers show to have one in stock at 770-953-0100 and 352-787-4300 . They are most likely ordered for someone. Your dealer can have the mtransfered but I found its much easier and usually cheaper to order it direct from the dealer that has it in stock and then take it to your dealer

Thanks for the quick response. Contacted Plaza Cadillac (352-787-4300), this number was given to my the parts guru at my dealership. They indeed have the part in stock, but could not take an order over the phone. Told me to have my dealership order the part through the GM parts ordering system and then put in a "spec order" saying that they have located the part on their own. They will now contact Plaza Cadillac to have the part shipped to my dealership. Gary the parts rep at Plaza is holding the part for me and will ship it out as soon as he gets the order. I will try to contact Steve Ryman Chevrolet (770-953-0100) tomorrow. :cool:

fyi . incase these items become hard to find for future reference.
I am pretty sure these guys rebuild these parts.

top hydraulics inc.

I have installed a new hydraulic pump and 2 hydraulic cylinders at a cost of about $2200.00 thus far, and my trunk will still periodically open about 3"-4" and then shut. The only thing that has not been replaced is the "trunk position sensor", and that will cost another $500.00 to replace. Has anyone else experience this issue and did you find out what the cause was? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
:cool:

Have you replaced the two hydraulic struts? They balance the weight of the trunk lid. If they are bad the trunk lid will not open correctly.

Have you replaced the two hydraulic struts? They balance the weight of the trunk lid. If they are bad the trunk lid will not open correctly.

Replaced those also.....all hydraulics have been replaced except the rear top cylinders located at the very back of the trunk.

Looking for a little insight on this issue, if possible. Thinking back this issue started after the installation of the new hydraulic pump. Looking at the way our trunks operate, it has to be one of three things or a combination thereof. It can only be hydraulic, electrical or mechanical. Tech checked the hydraulic pump and stated that it is working correctly. As stated all hydraulic trunk supports have been replaced and all hydraulic cylinders have been replaced. The tech did manage to get a fault code that points to the trunk latch. He wants to replace it at a cost of $749.00 parts/labor. The latch itself is mechanical and if it was malfunctioning, I would think it would just open or not. There is a "trunk position sensor", maybe this could be the issue. One of the main issues is that every time the trunk shuts back down, it's killing the hydraulic cylinders because the pressure is not relieved by the pump, it may be possibly causing damage to the pump. I cannot afford to keep throwing money and parts at the problem until it's found. To date I have spent about $3000.00 trying to fix this issue. There has to be a better way of diagnosing the issue. Will the dealership be responsible for replacing the hydraulic cylinders (and they are a bit hard to find) when they fail again? In my mind I keep going back to the pump, if it does not work properly, nothing will work. When the issue occurs it's like everything just shuts down, this will happen 3-5 times and then the trunk will open properly and it is intermittent.

Any thoughts.....

Last edited:
The Tech can command the trunk release to unlock with the Tech 2 and that will tell if the latch is bad or the solenoid is not working. Trunk will unlock but lid will not go up.

The Tech can command the trunk release to unlock with the Tech 2 and that will tell if the latch is bad or the solenoid is not working. Trunk will unlock but lid will not go up.

redvette94....thanks for the reply, I will pass this on to the tech. Whats got me puzzled is that it seems that the latch itself is working. The trunk will always engage, open a few inches and then just shut and after 3 or so attempts it will open properly. Could there be an air bubble in the system maybe, tech said that the bleeding process is to cycle the top two times (don't see how this could bleed the system).

The system is supposed to be self bleeding but you might want to check the cold level of the reservoir.
QUOTE=XFireXLR;76697]redvette94....thanks for the reply, I will pass this on to the tech. Whats got me puzzled is that it seems that the latch itself is working. The trunk will always engage, open a few inches and then just shut and after 3 or so attempts it will open properly. Could there be an air bubble in the system maybe, tech said that the bleeding process is to cycle the top two times (don't see how this could bleed the system).[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply....the actual initial problem was actually the latch mechanism. But from the the trunk opening and suddenly closing it blew out both lower hydraulic supports, the ones that sit inside the trunk area that have hydraulic lines connected to them.

No more at both numbers

that was back 2 years ago. just have them rebuilt at top hydraulics. used ones are being sold for more than rebuilt ones that come with a warranty and are much better than a used one that may fail

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom