Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE TO BE...

Wife's XLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2016 ATS-V Coupe; 2004 XLR
Hi everyone, glad to be here as a member of the XLR Forum! While I personally don't own an XLR and my fiancé and I are planning to be married September 2nd, it was driving me crazy :crazy: trying to figure out the perfect wedding gift. We met at a car show 2 years ago in May 2015 and in the days and weeks that followed, I found out that the XLR was one of her dream cars! After getting engaged in May of '17, it suddenly hit me as we were driving home from Church as we passed a high-end used car lot, Exotic Motorcars, I saw parked out in front of the large lot a 2004 XLR in Xenon Blue. We didn't stop to look at it then but I was thinking about it all the way home when it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! :pat: That would make the perfect wedding present for my future wife. We went back later that day, talked with the salesman and road tested the car. We were sold! I'm sure most of you know by now in life that once you test drive a car that you really like, you may as well bend over and kiss logic and common sense goodbye! :buttslap:
It only has 36,165 miles and a clean car fax! My wife-to-be is now the 3rd owner of the car.
So there you have it and I look forward to getting to know some of you guys in the future and Angela, my wife-to-be will also register in the near future as she is the owner of the vehicle. I think she is a little busy right now making those wedding plans.

Thanks for listening and talk to you soon,

Sal

Last edited:
I think Angela got quite a catch in you!

I'm a "car girl" too & the XLR was my dream car - got married before they were made so got mine as an anniversary present - so I know how fantastic Angela must feel!

Good luck with the wedding plans!

Amy

Congratulations to you both. That's an amazing gift to give someone. Get yourself a good aftermarket warranty to go with it as it will prove to be a big gift to you in the long run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool!! Welcome to the XLR Net! :blinzel:

Thanks Rob. I appreciate the "open hands" - lol. I hear this forum will pay for new member's 1st car payment...is that true? lol :thumbsup

Sal

I think Angela got quite a catch in you!

I'm a "car girl" too & the XLR was my dream car - got married before they were made so got mine as an anniversary present - so I know how fantastic Angela must feel!

Good luck with the wedding plans!

Amy

Hi Amy nice to meet you. Car girls are great people!!! And thanks for the good luck with the wedding plans. I wonder why she seems to be getting a little on the frantic side as each day passes,,? LOL.
Anyway, when she finally finds the time to join up on the XLR Forum, I send her you way. After all, misery loves company and lately she's starting to riding on that emotional roller coaster. I don't know how women do it sometimes...??? :dunno:

Sal

Congratulations to you both. That's an amazing gift to give someone. Get yourself a good aftermarket warranty to go with it as it will prove to be a big gift to you in the long run!

Thanks Rule62 and thanks for the congrats. Never gave a car as a gift before. Apparently when you do something like that especially when you know in your heart it's for a great reason, it gives you a great feeling of satisfaction, not only in yourself but for knowing you did it that truly makes someone happy! If you ever get in a position to do such a thing, DO IT!!!

But getting a good aftermarket warranty is something I've been thinking of but between the wedding and the car being in the dealer for some needed repairs, I haven't had time to do so. But as I can see already, it truly WOULD be a big gift in the long run because in the 2nd week of ownership, I've had to replace the throttle body, 2 front magnetic shocks, gas cap, tires(only because I wanted new tires on her car for both safety and a smoother ride), alignment, not to mention detailing the engine compartment and having the dealer custom paint the engine cover, paint pinstripes left and right sides, and polish and clean all 4 wheels. WHEW!
My next project is the change the interior from Black to Shale. Angela loves the way the Shale looks with the Xenon Blue. I admit so do I. However, when you're buying used, it's very difficult to find exactly what you want.
Anyway, thanks for your input!

Sal

ps. I will post pics sometime next week after the dealer is finishes up.

8/27/17:
UPDATE ON INTERIOR CHANGE OVER TO SHALE...

Almost all the parts are in with only a few exceptions...I'm finding it VERY VERY DIFFICULT TO LOCATE A NEW DRIVER'S SIDE SHALE SUN VISOR WITH HOMELINK. WHEW!
DECIDED TO PUT ON A NEW XLR-V HOOD BECAUSE I LIKE THE LINES ON IT VERSES THE PLAIN XLR HOOD. WHEW AGAIN!
I got a pair of sun visors from the parts DALE SALE is selling on this forum-in fact, that's the car I purchased all of my used parts from! The sun visors are in excellent condition but just dirty. Hopefully I can clean them up good enough to be used in my wife's XLR....?
Anyway, speaking of DALE SALE, he
is the member that I bought most of the Shale colored interior parts from, a 2004 he's parting out in this forum. He is an outstanding person and reputable business man and he worked with me on both prices (very, very fair!) and working out payment! He couldn't be a better person to work with. I highly recommend doing business with Dale Sale!!!
The car might be finished maybe by Wednesday...we'll see.
End of update. Thanks for taking the time to read this....

FINAL UPDATE WITH PICTURES OF MY WIFE'S XLR INTERIOR PROJECT STARTED 3 WEEKS AFTER I PURCHASED THE CAR FOR MY WIFE-TO-BE (NOW MY WIFE FOREVER!)...

Talk about an on-going project...whew!!! I'm 97% finished but I can update next week:

Interior pics: Put in sound insulation since the whole black interior was removed. 20170926_174222.jpg528406161.jpgThey put the wrong color carpet in and after looking at it for a few minutes, I decided I liked the slight contrast AND it won't show dirt as much.

20170926_174216.jpg

Now pics with interior completed:

20171103_150221.jpg
20171103_150242.jpg20171103_150259.jpg

More pictures on next thread...

Last edited:
A big congrats to you and your soon to be new wife! WELCOME to this great XLR forum with a lot of XLR knowledge here and VERY awesome people!
1141dfd8ef7f9a51ea6eb1e7e271a25e.jpg
Some of us named our baby's and mine is Roxy she a 2005 Light Platinum Silver. My wife says she's my 2nd wife.......LOL anyways as I just retired last Friday on June 30th and I'll be turning 60 tomorrow on July 10th I'll be spending some extra time with Roxy Topless during these nice summer days! BTW Great wedding gift idea! ENJOY! 🥂

Welcome

Welcome to both of you. What a great start for a good long lasting marriage.
Being the proud owners of a 2004 Xenon blue (lucky us, shale interior), may you two have many years of wedded bliss, top down in your XLR. This is a great sight for information and good feedback on problems.

Bluebeast, Cathie and Paul :wave:

Last edited:
Welcome to both of you. What a great start for a good long lasting marriage.
Being the proud owners of a 2004 Xenon blue (lucky us, shale interior), may you two have many years of wedded bliss, top down in your XLR. This is a great sight for information and good feedback on problems.

Bluebeast, Cathie and Paul :wave:

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes! So far, I have the shale carpets on onder, ordered a new shale top dash pad(not a carpeted cover but the entire top of the dash, am looking to buy the shale carpet next and already having the Cadillac dealer refurbishing the steering wheel with new shale leather and redoing the seats with new foam in shale-not sure when I'll be starting that though....? Last week I had all the fluids changed (6), new tires, alignment and new front shocks which I'm still in shock in what the dealer charges for the 2 front shocks alone!!! Also getting the calipers painted...couldn't afford to have them powder-coated at this time-$1,000 vs. $200. I'd rather focus on the interior now anyway. Can't wait to get pics posted...the XLR will be ready either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Anyway, it's getting late so TTYL.

Sal and Angela

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes! So far, I have the shale carpets on onder, ordered a new shale top dash pad(not a carpeted cover but the entire top of the dash, am looking to buy the shale carpet next and already having the Cadillac dealer refurbishing the steering wheel with new shale leather and redoing the seats with new foam in shale-not sure when I'll be starting that though....? Last week I had all the fluids changed (6), new tires, alignment and new front shocks which I'm still in shock in what the dealer charges for the 2 front shocks alone!!! Also getting the calipers painted...couldn't afford to have them powder-coated at this time-$1,000 vs. $200. I'd rather focus on the interior now anyway. Can't wait to get pics posted...the XLR will be ready either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Sal and Angela

Those shocks are ridiculously price! I got the part #'s and order them all of for about half price on Amazon.com and my dealer installed them for $80 (some here on the forum have found away to install regular shocks with same ride results) Here a Tip: [emoji6] Amazon & eBay are both money savers..... they don't always have everything but worth checking first!

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, a good warranty on this car is worth every penny. I got all 4 of my shocks replaced (the rears are harder to source) by my local mechanic at a cost of $5500 of which I paid $0. Since I acquired the car, I've had more than $12k worth of warranty work done and still have almost 2.5 years left on it.

Sal and Angela

PM Cadillac Tech, he has a contact that does powder coating very reasonably. The powder coater has a set of cores, so you give him your paint specs and PayPal the cash and the powder coated cores show up in the mail. You swap out the old cores for the powder coated ones, easy peasey. My XLR is black, so I chose to do mine calipers infrared with black brackets.
7c0219f8965eb8aea48e1d1b2a8a5315.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome aboard! :cool:

Those shocks are ridiculously price! I got the part #'s and order them all of for about half price on Amazon.com and my dealer installed them for $80 (some here on the forum have found away to install regular shocks with same ride results) Here a Tip: [emoji6] Amazon & eBay are both money savers..... they don't always have everything but worth checking first!

Hey 05 Grand Daddy, I did like you did and got the exact part numbers and ordered the 2 rear shocks and got one in delivered today. Where's the other one, right? lol. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Get this...The Cadillac dealer wants to charge $218; The Chevy dealer 500 feet up the road said they'll charge me $130! Guess who's going to get that job next week? A real no brainer, right? haha
Thanks again for the tip! :blinzel:

Sal
:wave:

A big congrats to you and your soon to be new wife! WELCOME to this great XLR forum with a lot of XLR knowledge here and VERY awesome people!
1141dfd8ef7f9a51ea6eb1e7e271a25e.jpg
Some of us named our baby's and mine is Roxy she a 2005 Light Platinum Silver. My wife says she's my 2nd wife.......LOL anyways as I just retired last Friday on June 30th and I'll be turning 60 tomorrow on July 10th I'll be spending some extra time with Roxy Topless during these nice summer days! BTW Great wedding gift idea! ENJOY! 🥂

2nd wife...I like that! hahaha And Happy Belated Birthday too and may you have at least 40+ more.

2nd wife...I like that! hahaha And Happy Belated Birthday too and may you have at least 40+ more.

Thanks 40 more would make 100 since this one was the BIG60 but I retired on June 30th from my business with my brothers after 26 1/2 years so 60 don't feel all so bad!

Awesome! Welcome to The Forum

Wow! What a great wedding present. Congratulations on both and to you and your bride to be.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, a good warranty on this car is worth every penny. I got all 4 of my shocks replaced (the rears are harder to source) by my local mechanic at a cost of $5500 of which I paid $0. Since I acquired the car, I've had more than $12k worth of warranty work done and still have almost 2.5 years left on it.

WOW OH WOW!!! What did you say the name of your aftermarket Insurance company is again??? LOL. Seriously, I already paid the $5500 for the shocks (maybe a little less) but I too believe in good warranties.
Would really appreciate the info so if I can follow up and see what's what.

Thanks again,
Sal

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry