Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE TO BE...

WOW OH WOW!!! What did you say the name of your aftermarket Insurance company is again??? LOL. Seriously, I already paid the $5500 for the shocks (maybe a little less) but I too believe in good warranties.
Would really appreciate the info so if I can follow up and see what's what.

Thanks again,
Sal

Sal- I bought the car from a Lexus Dealer owned by the same people who own the Caddy dealer which sold my car to the original owner.
They offered me a GM warranty but they didn't have a 4/50 comprehensive policy with a $0 deductible. So I opted for the Platinum warranty from Lexus (Toyota Motor Credit). According to the dealer it cost $5,700 of which l kicked in $500.

But there are good threads elsewhere on this forum where you can get pretty good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sal- I bought the car from a Lexus Dealer owned by the same people who own the Caddy dealer which sold my car to the original owner.
They offered me a GM warranty but they didn't have a 4/50 comprehensive policy with a $0 deductible. So I opted for the Platinum warranty from Lexus (Toyota Motor Credit). According to the dealer it cost $5,700 of which l kicked in $500.

But there are good threads elsewhere on this forum where you can get pretty good deal.

WOW That's a lucky break....... normally shock are considered like tires, wiper blades, brakes, oils, ect..... like a normal maintenance items, not a covered item on their list!

WOW That's a lucky break....... normally shock are considered like tires, wiper blades, brakes, oils, ect..... like a normal maintenance items, not a covered item on their list!

Yeah, their Platinum Product covered everything but brakes and battery.

FINALLY, THE DAY HAS ARRIVED!!!

Tomorrow, Monday AM, I am finally dropping the car off to the dealer to begin the work changing the interior color from black to shale! WOOHOO!!! I love doing projects like this..over the years cars that I changed the color of the whole or partial interior was a 2008 Callaway Corvette vert; a 2011 CTS Coupe; a 1975 Corvette Coupe and lastly, a 1974 Corvette Coupe. It's almost like building a car yourself, or at lest that part of it anyway. Lots of fun lining up all the parts, getting the parts, taking the old interior out and slowly watching the new interior taking shape and of course, to completion! WHEW!

Anyway, the point of this thread is to let any and everyone interested in interior parts (for sale) in Black that are coming out of my wife's XLR will be available starting sometime next week. I'm dropping the car off to begin the work tomorrow morning and I will take pictures of most of the pieces both before and after they come out...as much as I can. Since the car will actually be at the dealership, it's not like it's in my garage and I'll have access to it 24 hrs. but I will try to get as many photos of all that I can.

I will have pretty much everything interior wise for sale including the interior roof pieces as well. All the parts are in good to very good condition and I see no tears, scratches or stains on anything yet and I will note anything like that as I start posting parts with pics for sale.
According to the odometer, they have 36,257 miles on them. I guess I'll post them in the XLR parts for sale section on the forum and again, that should start happing one day this coming week...I'm thinking of from Tuesday on.....?

So until then, Ciao Amigos!
:wave:

Sal

Last edited:
Welcome to the net. Hope you'll be able to join us in bowling green next year.

I got the Zurich warranty through my dealer. Has paid off in many ways.
And as long as I stay with my dealer for service and parts I have a 0 deductible

Last edited:
Bowling Green

Hi hawkeye372-

Appreciate the invite but that's too far me to drive anymore. Had 3 back operations over the last 4 years and I'm still having too much pain if I sit too long :(...like driving to Bowling Green! LOL. :lol:

Maybe the next time you guys go...we'll see. :dunno:

Sal/wife'sXLR

Welcome to the net. Hope you'll be able to join us in bowling green next year.

Hi hawkeye372-

Appreciate the invite but that's too far me to drive anymore. Had 3 back operations over the last 4 years and I'm still having too much pain if I sit too long :(...like driving to Bowling Green! LOL. :lol:

Maybe the next time you guys go...we'll see. :dunno:

Sal/wife'sXLR

Oh ok. Hope you get better soon. I'm up in st Augustine. yes I did look at the drive time from my place. It's 9-11 1/2 hrs from my door to BG corvette plant. Depending on which way I take. Looking forward to the transformation pics.

POSTING COMPLETION PICTURES

Transformation pics? Sure! but it should be about 2-3 weeks to finish. Question: not sure where I should post them? In the General Discussion sub-forum or Gallery section or maybe in the introduction section when you first join...?

Do you know by chance?

Sal/wife'XLR

Oh ok. Hope you get better soon. I'm up in st Augustine. yes I did look at the drive time from my place. It's 9-11 1/2 hrs from my door to BG corvette plant. Depending on which way I take. Looking forward to the transformation pics.

I joined October 2012. I have a 2006 infrared and love her.

76e775a5f22eeaeaa222a3d80764740b.png

I think you can add them to this post and to the general section

HERE'S MY LIST OF 2004 PARTS FOR SALE LIKE I PROMISED. PICS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST-

As some of you already know, I'm changing the color of my (new-don't be apprehensive, this is only my 2nd time-lol) wife's XLR I purchased for her as a wedding gift. The original interior in the car is Ebony/Black and I'm changing everything to Shale.

Speaking of, other forum member, Dale Sale, is the member that I bought most of the Shale colored interior parts from a 2004 he's parting out. He is an outstanding person and reputable business man and he worked with me on both prices (very, very fair!) and working out payment! He couldn't be a better person to work with.

*The XLR is a 36,285 mile car.

Since there are a lot of pieces that make up the interior of an XLR (this is first for me!), it would be way too many photos to post on line here so instead I will make pictures available upon request. I could either text or post them here on the forum-you would have to let me know.

Here is a list of parts I know of so far (the status of what I have to reuse or buy new keeps changing as the interior shop takes apart the interior. Speaking of, some of the interior parts I purchased from Dale as it turns out for one reason or another, I won't be able to use.
I will sell those parts listed below the price I paid for them from Dale.
FYI, the interior guy at the Cadillac dealership who is taking apart the interior keeps telling me what good condition they are in! He says that this car must have been a garaged car because nothing is sun-dried(like the dash or top of the door panels, etc.)

All PRICES ARE FIRM as they are all in good to very good condition are priced below used part prices I found on eBay, Amazon, and more than several GM Parts housing and distributors on the internet.

Here is a list of what I know for sure will be for sale:

1. Upper Dash Board Panel in black and in excellent condition...$175.00
2. Steering Wheel & air bag with light wood at the top very good condition...$350.00
3. Lt. & Rt.Door Panels ; both are very good condition with no fading, cracks, cuts or marks...$175.00 each.
4. Passenger Seat Covers, top and bottom and both are in good to very good condition...$200.00.
5.Driver's Lower Sear Cushion in good condition. No rips, holes or tears and not faded...just normal leather seat wear...$75.00.
6. Not sure about the carpet on each side-I'll be able to tell when they take it out today or tomorrow...$100.00 each side.
7.Glove Box Door Panel..$50.00.
8.Door Speakers: Base speakers-2 and tweeter speakers-2. All 4 speakers play fine-just changing them since the door panels are being replaced. All work perfectly and are dried out or damaged in any way...$150.00 for all 4.
9. Headliner/black with all the trim around it down to the rear window in excellent condition...$300.00
10.2 Roll Bar Hoops in Black in & excellent condition...$40.00 each; $75.00 for both.
11. Complete Console with cover in good to excellent condition...$120.00.
12. Black Gear Shift Knob with light wood in very good condition...$70.00.
13. Glove Box with Lid located in between the two seats (I call it the vertical glove box) in excellent condition...$90.00.
14. Lt. and Rt. Sun Visors ...$45.00 ea./$$80.00 both.
15.Lt. & Rt A-Pillar Trim Moldings. Both in excellent condition...$55.00 each/$100
both.
16. Upper Inside Windshield Header Panel/piece located between the two A-Pillars where the sun visors bolt into the windshield frame in excellent condition...$100.00.
17. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

So, as you can see, if I posted all the pictures for the above items, I think the forum would either overload or my membership would be terminated forever. lol :lol:

I can be reached here on the forum, at my personal email: rivieman5215@gmail,com or at my cell phone number: 727-688-8739 (to text pictures). :blinzel:

All part prices do not include shipping. :(

My thanks to everyone... :wave:

Sal/wife's XLR

Status update of the "interior change" to my wife's pre-wedding present, a 2004 XLR

So much for being finished 5 weeks ago!!! :mad: On a more positive note, since the car in the shop on August 1st, I hear it might be ready tomorrow by 4pm. If so, that will make 11 weeks total the car was in the dealership for this interior change that should have taken 1-2 at most. But as I said, on the brighter side of all this, this "extra" shop or down time has given me time to think of other changes to do since the car was already in the shop. For example, in that extra time, I decided to change the hood to a "V" style hood, change the wheels to chrome spoke wheels belonging to the 2013 Centennial Corvette-an idea from another forum member who bought his XLR with those wheels already on it, the rear bumper to that of a 2009 XLR-V Premier bumper-I believe that is the model it was originally offered on, change almost all of the speakers in the car(even thought the original ones played fine), a chrome "V" type grille, new Delco battery, not to mention the 99% interior change, a Cadillac illuminated Windscreen by WindRestrictor, (saved $50.00 by ordering this week), and finally a rear sway bar. So in that respect, it wasn't all that bad...think of all the shop time I saved by doing this while the car was in the shop all this time! Don' I have exceptional rationalization skills...LOL! I could have bought another XLR practically with this "little" upgrade is going to cost me tomorrow or next week if it's not finished tomorrow! UGH!

Because of all these improvements, I decided to drop the XLR off of my Geico Auto policy and insure it through LeLand-West Auto Insurance Brokers and save about $330 a year! And the BEST part of this is I'm able to insure the car for much more than I would get under the Gco policy...from $25K up to $40k should the car get totaled out in an accident.

One of the things I learned, among others, is that if you want a special car that has both age and uniqueness, class and rareness, then no matter how difficult the future holds for finding parts for this car, you will find a way to get these parts as they become more and more rare with each passing year. A challenge? You bet it was, but in my personal opinion, it was well worth it in order to own something as rare and unique as the Cadillac XLR!!!

Oh, last but not least, I want to thank all of the forum members that have guided me along the way trying to help me find parts over the last 11 weeks...It made this odyssey a lot easier than had I not had their selflessness and willingness to point me in the right direction to help me find the parts I needed at a DECENT price as well. And lastly, I've learned that as parts become more and more scarce as time goes by, I will not price the parts that came of my car as if they came out of a Rolls Royce!!! i.e. $4,000 for a tail light! Really!!! :rocket: All this will do is price the XLR out of existence!

I will post pics of the finished project car either this weekend or next week in this thread and in one or two others.

Most appreciative, :wave:

Sal and Angela

PM Cadillac Tech, he has a contact that does powder coating very reasonably. The powder coater has a set of cores, so you give him your paint specs and PayPal the cash and the powder coated cores show up in the mail. You swap out the old cores for the powder coated ones, easy peasey. My XLR is black, so I chose to do mine calipers infrared with black brackets.
7c0219f8965eb8aea48e1d1b2a8a5315.jpg

Tim
BEAUTIFUL!!! :thumbsupI'm sure they compliment the car very well. That's what I'll do next, when I get time save a few dollars! LOL

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom