Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Instrument Cluster Lit Up! Any Ideas?

uhwarrior6608

Hello everyone. Canvased the forum for this issue, but was only able to find individual instrument cluster issues people have encountered...

I have an 05. Experienced my first battery drain about a week ago. Jumped the car, everything was running great for a week. I did not have to reprogram the windows, or at least didn't realize that there was a process. Having an SRX, I knew I was supposed roll the windows down and up (no 5 second hold), which I did on the XLR, and they worked. Assumed no problems.

This morning, I had a "service suspension system" notification pop up on the instrument cluster. Then I noticed that the trunk will not open from the key fob or from the push button (at least without a lot of force). Later on this afternoon the radio no longer turns on with the car. By this evening the instrument panel was telling me to service the ABS system, service the traction system, and service the stabilitrack system. Corresponding lights were lit up for those notifications that have one.

Any ideas about what these gremlins are? Ideas on a quick attempt to resolve (i.e., disconnect battery)?

Have you checked the battery? Is it old/near the end of its life expectancy? I would start there. These cars do unbelievably wacky things when the battery starts getting weak.

I had my car delivered when purchased. The process is to disconnect the battery while on the truck. When it arrived and the battery connected, within a couple days just about everything you mentioned except the radio needed to be relearned. Took it in to Cadillac not realizing I could've did it myself, they re-taught the system and made me a new number 2 key fob. Haven't had any other issues. Said all of this to say the battery being dead or disconnected can cause gremlins.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I had many of the same "messages" pop up even though my car fired right up and the battery seemed strong. It wasn't until I started using a battery tender that the messages went away! Get a new battery and a tender!

Get one of the premium batteries that are mentioned here. An Optima or Odyssey will keep the charge without having to worry about a battery tender unless you go more than a month at a time between trips in your XLR. Mine has sat for 3 weeks and it starts up immediately. The suggested replacement battery just doesn't have the "oomph" to last like these aftermarket HD batteries

Hello everyone. Canvased the forum for this issue, but was only able to find individual instrument cluster issues people have encountered...

I have an 05. Experienced my first battery drain about a week ago. Jumped the car, everything was running great for a week. I did not have to reprogram the windows, or at least didn't realize that there was a process. Having an SRX, I knew I was supposed roll the windows down and up (no 5 second hold), which I did on the XLR, and they worked. Assumed no problems.

This morning, I had a "service suspension system" notification pop up on the instrument cluster. Then I noticed that the trunk will not open from the key fob or from the push button (at least without a lot of force). Later on this afternoon the radio no longer turns on with the car. By this evening the instrument panel was telling me to service the ABS system, service the traction system, and service the stabilitrack system. Corresponding lights were lit up for those notifications that have one.

Any ideas about what these gremlins are? Ideas on a quick attempt to resolve (i.e., disconnect battery)?

Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems it was indeed the battery... Honestly shocked this hadn't happened sooner! The battery that was in there was dated 2012! Anyways, purchased a new battery (Optima red top), and most of the issues are gone. Aside from of course, top and trunk not working. Heading over to Cadillac tomorrow to have those reprogrammed.

You most likely only need to re-index the windows. You do need to hold the button down and then hold it back up to re-index them, simply putting them down and back up does not index them. HTH!

Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems it was indeed the battery... Honestly shocked this hadn't happened sooner! The battery that was in there was dated 2012! Anyways, purchased a new battery (Optima red top), and most of the issues are gone. Aside from of course, top and trunk not working. Heading over to Cadillac tomorrow to have those reprogrammed.

My trunk lid and top went on the fritz Jan 16. I had to drive about 50 miles to the nearest Caddy dealer. When I started to show the service manager the problem, everything worked!!. I believe the longer drive "reset" everything. Only explanation I can think of. Trunk worked, top cycled up and down as normal. You might try that,

You most likely only need to re-index the windows. You do need to hold the button down and then hold it back up to re-index them, simply putting them down and back up does not index them. HTH!

Tried reindexing - windows down and hold, windows up and hold - and still a no go. Not a fuse issue, either... When I hit the trunk button I'm hearing the electronic noise in the vehicle.

I'll try the long ride :) Fun but not quite as fun without the top down!

Tried reindexing - windows down and hold, windows up and hold - and still a no go. Not a fuse issue, either... When I hit the trunk button I'm hearing the electronic noise in the vehicle.

I'll try the long ride :) Fun but not quite as fun without the top down!

If I remember correctly (check the manual), re-indexing procedure is: Window down to stop, window up to stop and continue to hold the button for five seconds in up position, release button for a second then hold in up position for 5 seconds again - so it's two consecutive holds with the window up.

No use in guessing. Here is an except from 2005 owners manual
8080b7e5b2321431d29e603fcce68346.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry