Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Looking for input on selling my 2004 XLR

knight rider

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum XLR
Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some input on asking price for my 2004 Platinum XLR. The car is in excellent condition with around 29,000 miles, never driven in winter and I am the second owner. The only problem is that shortly after I bought the car in 2014 some clown backed up into the car while in a line at the ATM damaging the hood and grill which were quickly replaced by the local caddy dealer. The work was excellent but I want to be completely upfront about the history of the car.

My question is what type of price reduction is expected for a car that had previously received minor damage? I've looked around and prices for similar 2004 cars ranged from around $24-$27K. I was thinking that $22,000 seems fair but not sure what the market will bear. Any and all input is welcomed.

As long as the repair restored it to like-new condition, you shouldn't take a price hit on it. A minor ATM bump that creases the hood isn't the same as being rear-ended at a light where structural damage is likely.

Current 2004 XLR prices are higher than any Cadillac built in 2004 of any model! These aren't collector cars, per se, but they sure have been holding their value comparatively. Depending on what pricing source(s) you're referring to they will vary. Some people swear by KBB; many will start negotiating there. TrueCars.com is a good source to show what similar vehicles have been selling for in your geographic area.

Your location isn't listed in your signature, but if you don't live in a warm climate, selling a convertible in the dead of Winter isn't going to make it any easier. 24-25k seems about right. With so few on the market, you could quickly determine the national average transaction price, using that as a general guide for your initial asking price. Private sellers usually don't mark prices up as high as dealers who need to make a profit over their original outlay.

Good luck. I hope it finds a good home!

CC :wave:

Thanks CC! That is the kind of positive feedback that I was hoping for. Given the minor amount of work that was required, it was easy enough to restore the car to like new condition (aside from the difficulty of finding a new hood). My concern is mostly with someones perception affecting their judgement with regards to a minor accident.

I do live in the Chicago area so I agree that Feb. might not be the best time to list a convertible for sale. I am thinking of holding out till the end of March or early April to start listing it.

Here's a picture of the unfortunate incident (even though I still cringe when I look at it)
IMG_0457.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back