Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

LOOKING TO BUY 2009 XLR-V

very few dealers will sell a car for a few bucks profit just because they can do it in a few days. they maximize their profits by selling them for top dollar. They want t trade. that's were they make their money.

very few dealers will sell a car for a few bucks profit just because they can do it in a few days. they maximize their profits by selling them for top dollar. They want t trade. that's were they make their money.

I agree with you to some extent, but I have some experience in this area....I don't know what they bought my car for from the guy who bought the new Outback, but lets say they have $26,000 in this car....will they list it for $33,000, take their $7,000 profit in 1 or 2 days and move on?....... or list it for $49,000, wait a month or 2, keep discounting it, and be paying interest on the car for that period of time?.... MOST dealers would much rather take the former position, than the latter, especially a Subaru dealer (that was selling the car), as opposed to a specialty or classic dealer......The only car like mine that sold in the last year through Manheim, sold on 8/14/18 for $36,000 and had 24k miles on it.....and thats to a dealer! Bottom line is what they were able to buy the car for, they made some money and moved a "unit" in 2 days....Both buyer and seller are happy.

Being a Subaru dealer - in Tucson of all places! - doesn't really help the dealer. An XLR (V or not) is the same to then. They had probably never seen one before, so they jump online, do a quick search (private dealer stuff as well general listings) and see what these things trade for. As HOF mentioned, the dealer is primarily concerned with making the deal work on the new car end more than making a killing on the resale of a 12 year old "luxury" car from a different brand. They want to offer the lowest amount to make the deal work for the customer. If they can make $7k in a day on the trade-in that's huge for them. HOF, be sure to post about the car once you get acquainted with it - perhaps in a new thread! :)

I doubt the dealer made 7K in a day or two. People today know what their car is worth, They know bottom dollar cost on what they are buying. I happen to know the mark up on a Subaru Outback and unless the dealer loaded up a bunch of excess profit on it( paint sealant, rims, interior protection etc) They could not have allowed much more than actual wholesale for the car. If they made 2K on it in 2 days , they may go for that. I read on another site that the car in mention had water history that had been cleaned on the title. So who knows. I have followed cars and have a list of serial numbers on salvage titled cars and I see them pop up on ebay from time to time listed as "clean title" with no history but a deep research will find the true history on a car. If the owner is happy with what he paid and got , then everyone else should also be happy. When cars sell for 10-12K it brings the values of all of them down no matter how nice others are and how bad the cheep ones were that sold

The carfax shows 1 Texas title from the first owner in 2010 to the dealer that took it in on trade in February of 2019

Being a Subaru dealer - in Tucson of all places! - doesn't really help the dealer. An XLR (V or not) is the same to then. They had probably never seen one before, so they jump online, do a quick search (private dealer stuff as well general listings) and see what these things trade for. As HOF mentioned, the dealer is primarily concerned with making the deal work on the new car end more than making a killing on the resale of a 12 year old "luxury" car from a different brand. They want to offer the lowest amount to make the deal work for the customer. If they can make $7k in a day on the trade-in that's huge for them. HOF, be sure to post about the car once you get acquainted with it - perhaps in a new thread! :)

Will do ! Supposed to be here tomorrow.

Carfax is about 70% correct. They only report what is reported to them. They almost never have Collison information when its a third party claim. About a dozen insurance companies do not report to them either. Anything that goes to a direct contract salvage buyer does not get reported to them. They are ok but not the final say by any means

I think the new owner would want to know this info. Care to share?

I read on another site that the car in mention had water history that had been cleaned on the title. So who knows.

I am not buying it. I would do my research on any car I bought. Just google your serial number sometimes. Its amazing what you can find wit ha color and year and location of a previous owner. Just like the dealer from m NC that builds a lot of XLR cars. everyone he list says hardly any damage . Flood cars he lists say no water got into car. Insurance companies are not idiots. They do not total cars because maybe there is damage. A google search of vins have caused many buyers of his cars to back out when they see the actual car at the salvage company. Stating a "Carfax" came back clean does prove the car has not been In a flood or accident or engine change or a dozen other problems a car could have. If you have a good dealer service dept., ask them to check when your car was last in a shop. You could be surprised at what you find. Most dealers will file the vin for the body shop and or service that another dealer offered to a previous owner. they cannot tell you the previous owner but they can tell you a lot of history.

long tall sally, I suggest you either post your internet "source" for this information, or you stop commenting on this thread or any other thread about this vehicle. If you cannot back-up your claims, I will report you to the site admin for spreading false rumors about another member's vehicle.

I am not buying it. I would do my research on any car I bought. Just google your serial number sometimes. Its amazing what you can find wit ha color and year and location of a previous owner. Just like the dealer from m NC that builds a lot of XLR cars. everyone he list says hardly any damage . Flood cars he lists say no water got into car. Insurance companies are not idiots. They do not total cars because maybe there is damage. A google search of vins have caused many buyers of his cars to back out when they see the actual car at the salvage company. Stating a "Carfax" came back clean does prove the car has not been In a flood or accident or engine change or a dozen other problems a car could have. If you have a good dealer service dept., ask them to check when your car was last in a shop. You could be surprised at what you find. Most dealers will file the vin for the body shop and or service that another dealer offered to a previous owner. they cannot tell you the previous owner but they can tell you a lot of history.

I google the VIN, research the VIN, Carfax check, Autocheck, Manheim reports, and other internet searches before I buy every car that I buy.....As a lawyer, I distrust everyone (lol)....and I do more due diligence that the vast majority of people. I agree with HarvesterUT, you can insinuate a lot of nonsense, but nothing you say has any validity unless you know something other than I do about this car, (which I doubt). There definitely are unscrupulous people out there, but usually something funny shows up somewhere that raises a red flag.

long tall sally, I suggest you either post your internet "source" for this information, or you stop commenting on this thread or any other thread about this vehicle. If you cannot back-up your claims, I will report you to the site admin for spreading false rumors about another member's vehicle.

Agreed !!

Not disparaging your car just warning you look in the rear left hole where electronics are you could be looking at thousands and thousands of dollars and no I'm not maximizing my car it has 8300 miles on it it's fine it's perfect and I'm keeping it just saying be happy with your purchase and I hope you don't need to use your warranty Case Closed. Jerz
Please explain if you know something......I am the buyer, and have bought many many cars over the last 35 years.....First, the car has 28k miles (not under 20k), second, it is a 1 owner car, with no paintwork and a clean carfax, third, it was sold with a warranty......fourth, it is being sold by a dealer, not a collector, Dealers deal much differently than collectors, the car was traded in on a new Outback, if a dealer can make a few bucks and sell a unit in 24 hours (which IS what occurred), they will do it, (unlike a collector who can hold for top dollar).

Let me know what "Gremlins" you are referring to, however, if you are trying to just maximize your asking price by indicating my car can't be what it is for the price I bought it for, then I understand your strategy.........even though I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for putting your legalese post on this I totally agree with you and like your LOL I don't trust lawyers putting that aside you bring up a perfect example of facts this guy has ground on this site about this car for quite a while I surmise like I stated in past post the Gremlins will come about either electronically are engine wise lights are a big factor I have an 8300 mile V it is perfect I go by all other vehicles I see by mine it is not a trailer Queen but I do not abuse it your advice has been sound let the buyer beware and you never buy a car and have it shipped to you from another state especially where flooding occurred I enjoy your post thanks for your contribution to the site.jerz and my vehicle is in the registry for 5 years I've owned it six good luck lawyer
I google the VIN, research the VIN, Carfax check, Autocheck, Manheim reports, and other internet searches before I buy every car that I buy.....As a lawyer, I distrust everyone (lol)....and I do more due diligence that the vast majority of people. I agree with HarvesterUT, you can insinuate a lot of nonsense, but nothing you say has any validity unless you know something other than I do about this car, (which I doubt). There definitely are unscrupulous people out there, but usually something funny shows up somewhere that raises a red flag.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have bought many high end cars and had them shipped to me, It's all about the car, the research, and the seller. You have seen all the enclosed car carriers on the road?, Intercity, Horseless Carriage, Passport, Plycar, Reliable, Mecum,etc etc?, those are usually filled with cars that many times are being shipped to a buyer that hasn't seen the car. Please tell me what you mean in your previous post:

"this guy has ground on this site about this car for quite a while" ?

Also, why do some of your posts end with "Case Closed"?

And you don't consider a 13 year old car with 8,300 miles a trailer queen?......Thats 53 miles a month!

I hope my car comes and is as perfect as yours is....I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks

do your own diligence .I just said what I read. I can back up everything I said. Don't go threatening me or you might not like it. I did not buy the car and did not recommend it to a buyer who was looking

car looks great. no doubt about it. SO did the so called "Earnhardt" cars at Mecum, plus the outstanding Porsche of Seinfeld. And these are people in the business that still miss things. Drive it like you stole it. I get paid to do pre-vehicle inspections .I have done them on Porsche 917. 908, 906, 904 ,356 . I have a very good reputation in the Porsche circles. I also was called in on a dispute on GT40 108 .So I know what I Know. People every day buy cars for 100 times more than this car without much more than a few photos and a phone call. So most transactions are just what they seem.

Last edited:
Look, you can do what you want. You're a grown man - I assume. That being said, your entire attitude in this thread has been juvenile and strangely negative about the good deal HOF managed to get. Real car enthusiasts look out for each other and offer help, especially when asked. You have done none of this. All you have done is make unverified claims about past damage to this vehicle. Since you have not offered proof, you are a liar to me. I have reported you and your posts to the site admin.

do your own diligence .I just said what I read. I can back up everything I said. Don't go threatening me or you might not like it. I did not buy the car and did not recommend it to a buyer who was looking

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom