Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tell me why an XLR-V should be in my future

Bobatnetcom

Hi folks, I’d like to ask for some advice. I’m thinking about purchasing an XLR-V in the near future and the repair horror stories on this site have me very worried.

I currently drive a Mercedes CL600 (V12) that I bought new in 2002 that has had nothing but expensive problems since the day I brought it home. When passengers tell me that the car looks new I explain that most of what they’re seeing is new as it has been replaced. One of the reasons I’m selling my Mercedes is that I’m tired of it always needing repair – right now the sunroof motor just went out, the radio is dead, and the sunscreen in the back window is stuck up. Luckily I have a decent mechanic who will probably retire well on what I’ve paid him, but I don’t want to do this again. I want a car I can get into and drive.

So my request is how can I avoid most of the problems I’ve read about on this site? As it is very unlikely that I will find the car I’m looking for near where I live in Arizona, I may not be able to inspect the car personally before I buy it. Other than zero miles on a 2009 car, are there any years that are better than others? Is there a general mileage where problems occur or because of the XLR’s age, low mileage doesn’t matter? Are any items that have had a lot of problems and are expensive to repair like the LED lights or the suspension, or whatever that I can check out somehow before I purchase the car?

I will appreciate any and all advice you folks may have. I love the looks of the XLR and would like to see one in my garage but I’m obviously worried about maintenance. I’ve owned many Cadillacs in my life that have given me very few problems (other than a 2008 STS whose Northstar ate ignition coils and drank oil.) Overall, though, I have a good opinion about Cadillac reliability.

Again, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. And if anyone knows a good way to have a car inspected by a honest remote mechanic that you’ve never met, let me know.

Bob

Where in AZ do you live? If possible take the car interested in to
Full Service Auto Repair | Tempe | Legends Luxury Auto Repair ..... in north Tempe and have
Danny Smith check the car over for anything it needs.
Danny is a Certified XLR tech,,,, one of the few left working
on these cars.

Much like Mercedes,, these cars 'maybe' high cost to maintain.

Hi folks, I’d like to ask for some advice. I’m thinking about purchasing an XLR-V in the near future and the repair horror stories on this site have me very worried.

I currently drive a Mercedes CL600 (V12) that I bought new in 2002 that has had nothing but expensive problems since the day I brought it home. When passengers tell me that the car looks new I explain that most of what they’re seeing is new as it has been replaced. One of the reasons I’m selling my Mercedes is that I’m tired of it always needing repair – right now the sunroof motor just went out, the radio is dead, and the sunscreen in the back window is stuck up. Luckily I have a decent mechanic who will probably retire well on what I’ve paid him, but I don’t want to do this again. I want a car I can get into and drive.

So my request is how can I avoid most of the problems I’ve read about on this site? As it is very unlikely that I will find the car I’m looking for near where I live in Arizona, I may not be able to inspect the car personally before I buy it. Other than zero miles on a 2009 car, are there any years that are better than others? Is there a general mileage where problems occur or because of the XLR’s age, low mileage doesn’t matter? Are any items that have had a lot of problems and are expensive to repair like the LED lights or the suspension, or whatever that I can check out somehow before I purchase the car?

I will appreciate any and all advice you folks may have. I love the looks of the XLR and would like to see one in my garage but I’m obviously worried about maintenance. I’ve owned many Cadillacs in my life that have given me very few problems (other than a 2008 STS whose Northstar ate ignition coils and drank oil.) Overall, though, I have a good opinion about Cadillac reliability.

Again, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. And if anyone knows a good way to have a car inspected by a honest remote mechanic that you’ve never met, let me know.

Bob
Hi Bob,
I'm a long time lurker, one time poster. We have SSRs that I've personally supercharged and done all sorts of customizations on them, so I turn my own wrenches. Subsequently I found a low mileage XLR-V for the wife and she absolutely loves it. I've had it ceramic coated and it came out stunning. The car drives fantastic, but I need to get around to replacing the shocks pretty soon. Contrary to what people say, e.g. I've got a low mileage SSR, under 20K miles, and I don't need new shocks, they do. I've replaced over 25 sets of shocks on SSRs and every pilot and copilot has said the truck drives much better. The same can be said for the XLR. Our V has a little float and bounce in the front.

Regarding problems and repairs - The car is a bit of a unicorn and fantastic. Under the skin the chassis and suspension and brakes are all Corvette, and so are some other random parts. The upshot is the Corvette parts are all readily available and pretty inexpensive. The headlights, tail lights and interior is all XLR only and not available from the dealer. The salvage yards know this, just like the SSR, so they price things accordingly or outrageously as they know you need it.

The top and trunk are hydraulically actuated, again like the SSR but using a different control/location mechanism. The seals in hydraulics will wear out. They all do. The good news is they can rebuilt by a couple of places and reinstalled and you're good to go. I have not have to do it on the V yet, but I've had to do it on one of our Rs. The shops that rebuild them can do the replacement, or you can find someone that has done it. A 'common problem' that can happen when power is lost for an extended period of time, or when 'it just happens', is the Roof Door Module (RDM) will lose the values it stores for where the top is and it has to relearn them. The relearn is very quick, but it does require a GM Tech2 with a Candi module to communicate with the RDM. Meaning a trip to a dealer, or a friend that has one. If you've got a good battery and clean grounds, I've found this to not be a problem.

The Northstar engine is unique as well. This makes finding some parts a challenge. But I've found a person or two that can generally help me find something.

My suggestion: Get the car inspected and be sure you can get it serviced somewhere that has experienced XLR mechanics. Finding an XLR certified mechanic is getting rarer and rarer. The cars are fantastic, but they are 20yrs old or approaching it. Subsequently they may need a little TLC. My wife's is a daily driver for the past couple years and she loves it, and I think it is pretty cool too.

Good luck

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and advice. I live in Scottsdale so I’m close to Legends Luxury Auto Repair. I’m going to meet with Danny so he can help me get a nice XLR, plus I have an old Corvette that needs some work. His shop seems like the ideal place for me and my cars. Thanks again.

When searching I would just get one that has been well maintained. Have a lower mileage 09 V in Black Cherry, and everything works as it should, has new tires, new battery, new filters, fresh oil, all 4 service manuals, buildsheet / window sticker , and 2 working key fobs. And of course runs like a top! :)

Bob,,,, Good thought about having Danny work on your Corvette,,,,he specializing on those cars as well.
Danny changed out the harmonic balancer on my C6, which had the dreaded wobble symptom..

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom