Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Loose shift knob

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V
Has anyone had any trouble with the shift knob getting loose? It might only be 1/8 inch slop in it but I know there is an allen screw inside that needs to be tightened. My 04 was loose back in 05 and I managed to pop either the center off or side pieces and I forget which and don't want to scratch it up:dunno: Speaking of console, here is the reading from a heat gun of my cup holder in 05 after an hour drive in 85 degree temps. Any wonder why I used the lemon law? Heat Gun @ cup holder2.jpg

Loose shift Knob

On my car, an 06, I can merely slide the chrome ring downwards, ( I was able to use my finget nails). However, it is really hard to do. I am sure you could find a plastic blade to use, if that does not work for you. Once slid down, there is a #15 torq screw fastening the knob to the lever.

Rusty 06 V

Has anyone had any trouble with the shift knob getting loose? It might only be 1/8 inch slop in it but I know there is an allen screw inside that needs to be tightened. My 04 was loose back in 05 and I managed to pop either the center off or side pieces and I forget which and don't want to scratch it up:dunno: Speaking of console, here is the reading from a heat gun of my cup holder in 05 after an hour drive in 85 degree temps. Any wonder why I used the lemon law? View attachment 3148

On my car, an 06, I can merely slide the chrome ring downwards, ( I was able to use my finget nails). However, it is really hard to do. I am sure you could find a plastic blade to use, if that does not work for you. Once slid down, there is a #15 torq screw fastening the knob to the lever.

Rusty 06 V

Rusty is correct. If you have the Allen wrench that came with the XLR, it has the torx bit that fits the shift knob made on the end of the wrench. Sliding the cover down can be tedious.

Mike

Shift Knob

Rusty 06 V
Now it all comes back to me. Memory loss is a b*i*t*c*h, it's so selective. Thanks for the help.:D

......... here is the reading from a heat gun of my cup holder in 05 after an hour drive in 85 degree temps. Any wonder why I used the lemon law?

Wow, I'll bet that made for some really hot coffee! Yikes!:willy_nilly:

You know, on some of the newer cars they have this feature only they also have cooling. Cadillac was truely visionary and ahead of it's time because they incorporated it first. Even though it is scalding hot and always on! I think the real intent was to have a surface that one can cook on. they just forgot the teflon or ceramic coating! :laugh:

No hijacking :mad:

Wow, I'll bet that made for some really hot coffee! Yikes!:willy_nilly:

You know, on some of the newer cars they have this feature only they also have cooling. Cadillac was truely visionary and ahead of it's time because they incorporated it first. Even though it is scalding hot and always on! I think the real intent was to have a surface that one can cook on. they just forgot the teflon or ceramic coating! :laugh:

No hijacking :mad:
BTW, I don't drink coffee but love ice cold water. It was hot to the point that I had to get as close to the door as I could along with my water bottle and move my right leg over and turn on the ACC going from SO CAL to NYC & back. My companion had to do the same thing. That's when I decided to lemon this 04. I wonder what ever happened to that car, it was in perfect condition except for that heat. I was told that it gets crushed............I hope not.:(

BTW, I don't drink coffee but love ice cold water. It was hot to the point that I had to get as close to the door as I could along with my water bottle and move my right leg over and turn on the ACC going from SO CAL to NYC & back. My companion had to do the same thing. That's when I decided to lemon this 04. I wonder what ever happened to that car, it was in perfect condition except for that heat. I was told that it gets crushed............I hope not.:(

That is pretty bad!

Wait a minute! You mean that your XLR didn't come with two pairs of these:

apron_sleeves_lg.jpg and hip_legging_lg.jpg

or at least two pair of these for you and your companion/partner?!? :chuckle

150_suit_sm.jpg

I heard that they came standard on all early 04's and capable of withstanding at upto 200 degrees F!!!

Standby V, you were ripped off! I would go back to the dealer and demand them!:laugh:

What's this world coming to! :mad:

P.S. I don't drink coffee either, but it certainly would have warmed up your tea! (maybe even boiled it). But if it's cold water you wanted the early 04's came with this.

Sports Cool Portable Water Chiller

bizchair1_2275_40217680.gif

It fitted in the trunk, but the only downside is that you couldn't use the convertible top so they discontinued it. :squint:

See there was really no need to lemon that car. You were just missing some of the essential components! :D

In all seriousness, it sounded like a nightmare. I completely understand why you would Lemon it. It is unbelieveable that GM could not dissassemble key components and re-assemble it. It sounds as if the car were missing some type of heat sheilding.

Okay, thread hijacked, my bad.

That is pretty bad!

Wait a minute! You mean that your XLR didn't come with two pairs of these:

View attachment 3155 and View attachment 3156

or at least two pair of these for you and your companion/partner?!? :chuckle

View attachment 3157

I heard that they came standard on all early 04's and capable of withstanding at upto 200 degrees F!!!

Standby V, you were ripped off! I would go back to the dealer and demand them!:laugh:

What's this world coming to! :mad: What a guy

P.S. I don't drink coffee either, but it certainly would have warmed up your tea! (maybe even boiled it). But if it's cold water you wanted the early 04's came with this.

Sports Cool Portable Water Chiller

View attachment 3158

It fitted in the trunk, but the only downside is that you couldn't use the convertible top so they discontinued it. :squint:

See there was really no need to lemon that car. You were just missing some of the essential components! :D

In all seriousness, it sounded like a nightmare. I completely understand why you would Lemon it. It is unbelieveable that GM could not dissassemble key components and re-assemble it. It sounds as if the car were missing some type of heat sheilding.

Okay, thread hijacked, my bad.
I OK it, it was my thread. So, now you tell me and show me pics that break my little ole heart. Good luck with that fit, Rod will come down to SA and help you fit it in. I think I have something that most of you don't have that came with my 04.Skunks in my bag.jpg It's a Cadillac marked bag that was in the grocery slot to show that you can get your clubs in the trunk. Now lets not all drool at once.:drool: GM tried to add heat plates but it only corrected by about 25%, but they did do better in the 06-V, about 75% better.

...... Good luck with that fit, Rod will come down to SA and help you fit it in. ......GM tried to add heat plates but it only corrected by about 25%, but they did do better in the 06-V, about 75% better.

Okay, send Rod down. Together we will fit that portable water chiller in!:chuckle

We may have to use these!:sprite10:

JOL-pic 1.jpg JOL-pic 2.jpg

Okay, send Rod down. Together we will fit that portable water chiller in!:chuckle

We may have to use these!:sprite10:

View attachment 3162 View attachment 3163
You have way to much time & money on your hands and I think the altitude in the high desert is starting to effect you. Come down off that hill and get some sea breezes, it will cure you in no time.:laugh:hands up.jpg

shift knob

Rusty, thanks for the idea but mine wasn't so cooperative, so I used a small putty knife & pried up.

Rusty 06 V

Yahh, I could see that, when I slid the ring down. That is why I suggested using a plastic blade to do the job. I think my example wasn't properly seated to begin with.

Rusty, thanks for the idea but mine wasn't so cooperative, so I used a small putty knife & pried up.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom