Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lower Mesh Grill on XLR

Oldtimer

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR
When I bought my 2008 XLR, I was pleased to see an upper mesh grill had already been installed on it. After a few weeks I wanted to install a lower mesh grill. I contacted my Cadillac dealer; they stated that the grills were sold in sets, both lower and upper (?) I saw the lower grill on the Internet and purchased one. I had done this with my 2007 Corvette and had no trouble installing it myself.
<O:p></O:p>
Looking at the front end of the car, it was soon evident that I was not going to do the job myself. I called my dealer and he said they could install it in about 1 hour. After about an hour in the shop, the service manager told me that they would have to take off the entire front bumper assembly to install the lower grill. I told them I would come back some other time. I also found out that I would loose the radar cruse control (mesh apparently blocks it). <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Has anyone else put the lower mesh grill on an XLR? Do you really have to take off the bumper assembly to install it? Will the cruse control function normally, less the radar? And by the way can the radar from the cruse control set off a radar detector? <O:p></O:p>

From what I understand you will not lose use of the cruise control, the sensors are located in the plastic areas to the left and right of the lower grille. As far as removing the entire front bumper....I don't know about that one....it might make the job easier for the tech but will cost you more $$$$ and time no doubt.:cool:

From what I understand you will not lose use of the cruise control, the sensors are located in the plastic areas to the left and right of the lower grille. As far as removing the entire front bumper....I don't know about that one....it might make the job easier for the tech but will cost you more $$$$ and time no doubt.:cool:

This grill covers the entire area from side to side under the upper girill opening. I think it covers the plastic areas where the radar sensors are located. I don't mind doing the install but I would like to know that it is necessary to remove the front bumper and if the cruse control will work at all.

Lower Mesh Grill

I have the upper mesh grill on my XLR. It is true you will loose the Adaptive Cruise Control if you install the lower mesh grill. My vehicle looks really great with just the upper mesh grill and I absolutely love my Adaptive Cruise Control on those long trips, I would hate to not have it.

I stand corrected.... I thought you were referring to the smaller mesh grille that fits in the between the plastic areas.:blinzel:

LOWER GRILL

HAD THE LOWER GRILL PUT ON .. APPROX 30 MIN BUMPER STAYS ON LOOKS GOOD AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE SET.. :cool:

HAD THE LOWER GRILL PUT ON .. APPROX 30 MIN BUMPER STAYS ON LOOKS GOOD AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE SET.. :cool:

I thought so.... did you loose your cruse control?

I have the upper mesh grill on my XLR. It is true you will loose the Adaptive Cruise Control if you install the lower mesh grill. My vehicle looks really great with just the upper mesh grill and I absolutely love my Adaptive Cruise Control on those long trips, I would hate to not have it.

I like it also ..until sombody cuts in front of you and the car slams on the brakes...I guess you get used to that.

I find that interesting, Popbigguy had a Deer hit his front end, took out the lower grill, didn't hurt the upper. He had to buy the set, both grills and that is how I ended up getting the upper for my car, I bought the new upper he didn't need.

I stand corrected.... I thought you were referring to the smaller mesh grille that fits in the between the plastic areas.:blinzel:

I looked at the one you are talking about... I have a license plate on the front and I think it would cover that one...

I find that interesting, Popbigguy had a Deer hit his front end, took out the lower grill, didn't hurt the upper. He had to buy the set, both grills and that is how I ended up getting the upper for my car, I bought the new upper he didn't need.

If you buy them from Cadillac you have to buy the set. They are avalable individually from D3.

Does it knock put cruise control completely?

I understand the concept of the lower full mesh screen blocking sensors for the "adaptive" cruise control. But does that disable it completely, or just the part that senses a car ahead and start the braking process? I would guess the sensors would think the mesh is a car nearby and always try to brake. That would make the cruise control totally useless. I wouldn't mind if it grill could be changed out, but the normal cruise control was retained. Any experience out there with it?

You totally lose your Cruise Control if the radar senses anything wrong with the "lens" in front of it.

Mine usually quits when it gets blocked by snow or during a VERY heavy rainfall. I get the message "Clean Radar Lens" or something like that... and the cruise will not engage at all.

Front Air Dam Grill

When I bought my 2008 XLR, I was pleased to see an upper mesh grill had already been installed on it. After a few weeks I wanted to install a lower mesh grill.
<o:p></o>
Looking at the front end of the car, it was soon evident that I was not going to do the job myself. I called my dealer and he said they could install it in about 1 hour. After about an hour in the shop, the service manager told me that they would have to take off the entire front bumper assembly to install the lower grill. I told them I would come back some other time. I also found out that I would loose the radar cruse control (mesh apparently blocks it). <o:p></o>
<o:p></o>
Has anyone else put the lower mesh grill on an XLR? Do you really have to take off the bumper assembly to install it? <o:p></o>

Today I got the XLR serviced and addressed the few appearance issues that needed attention. Like other XLR owners my plastic front air dam grill had lost a few plastic pieces while on the road. I know two pieces were lost when a semi's tire came apart while ahead of me and spread a bunch of bouncing projectiled rubber pieces all across the road. A couple pieces of rubber shrapnel bounced into and took out some of my grill's plastic pieces.

Surprisingly, my dealer had the part in stock so I had them replace it for me. Two (2) hour job that required taking off the front bumper and headlights to do it properly "per the book". New grill looks great but it is a really expensive fix. If this new grill takes a similar hit I will probably burst into tears....

Steve

LOWER GRILL

I know this is an old post and hopefully someone will see this. No one ever answered the question as to does the bumper have to be removed?

Tigerman

According to the service manual the bumper has to come off.

Doesn't mean someone might not have a creative way to avoid that, but that's the specified procedure.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom