Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! MAGNTIC SHOCKS HAVE CURRENT BUT STILL HAVE SERVICE RIDE CONTROLL

koolbreeze

As a new owner of a 2005 XLR I want to thank you for the form and the help I have received here
Replaced all 4 shocks with stock shocks. but still have service ride control light. Found out that there was one of the rear shocks that came unplugged
plugged shock in. The diagnostic computer it showed that all 4 have a good current. But still had service ride control. As of now I no longer have the warning " max speed 80 mph" it will now go over 80mph
Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Koolbreeze:)

SHOCKS

As a new owner of a 2005 XLR I want to thank you for the form and the help I have received here
Replaced all 4 shocks with stock shocks. but still have service ride control light. Found out that there was one of the rear shocks that came unplugged
plugged shock in. The diagnostic computer it showed that all 4 have a good current. But still had service ride control. As of now I no longer have the warning " max speed 80 mph" it will now go over 80mph
Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Koolbreeze:)

MY 04 XLR HAS ONLY 68K MILES AND THE SHOCKS ARE LEAKING. THIS MUST BE ANOTHER ONE OF CADDYS BLUNDERS & POORE DESIGNS. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AFTER MARKET AVAILABLE REPLACEMENTS. I'M KEEPING GENUINE GM PARTS BUSY WITH THIS CAR. NIT PICKING ME TO DEATH.

Hopefully you aren't paying retail for your parts. Buy online and pay what the dealerships pay.

I wouldn't go as far as to call the design of the MRH shock absorbers poor, or a blunder, but they sure are expensive.

The shock absorbers are monitored and adjusted (electrically) 1000 times a second. The design was revolutionary enough for GM to license the technology to other luxury car manufacturers. At 68,000 miles, your shock absorbers have seen a lot of use, and like every mechanism, will wear over time. You own a luxury car, and unfortunately, luxury comes at a high price when it's time for replacement of many normal wear and tear items.

My shocks are slightly weeping oil, (which isn't unusual) but until the ride quality suffers or one fails hard, I can live with it.

Bilstein has (cheaper) non-magnetic, replacement shocks, but you'll need to add termination resistors to the connectors on the rear set to simulate the electrical load to the Suspension Control module.

CCC

Shocks

Hopefully you aren't paying retail for your parts. Buy online and pay what the dealerships pay.

I wouldn't go as far as to call the design of the MRH shock absorbers poor, or a blunder, but they sure are expensive.

The shock absorbers are monitored and adjusted (electrically) 1000 times a second. The design was revolutionary enough for GM to license the technology to other luxury car manufacturers. At 68,000 miles, your shock absorbers have seen a lot of use, and like every mechanism, will wear over time. You own a luxury car, and unfortunately, luxury comes at a high price when it's time for replacement of many normal wear and tear items.

My shocks are slightly weeping oil, (which isn't unusual) but until the ride quality suffers or one fails hard, I can live with it.

Bilstein has (cheaper) non-magnetic, replacement shocks, but you'll need to add termination resistors to the connectors on the rear set to simulate the electrical load to the Suspension Control module.

CCC
I purchase parts form Genuine GM parts. shock MSRP $1055.96 ea. My cost $570.22. If you have an outlet that is cheaper please advise. As far as had a lot of use I do not think 68K in 11 years is a lot of use on mostly smooth flat land. Do not class XLR as luxury. My STS & Escalade is luxury.

these cars are getting older. its not the mileage, its the age, most are way lower miles than yours, but parts are starting to fail.
like the struts on the hood, they hardly ever get used, but they lose pressure and fail with age.
by your logic low use parts would never fail, 68k is definitely not low use either.
based on age and use, regular struts get replaced on regular sports cars anywhere above 50k miles, some make it to 100k, some dont.
the hyper complex design of these makes them expensive, and probably not worth it, if you can swap in bilsteins (good to know)
but its not the first time an 11 yr old car was due for struts. at least you got 68k.
i bet lots of people only got 25 k in 11 yrs and had to replace too.

CCC

Your knowledge of these XLR's looks Vast in all areas. On the shocks the rear have some leakage on our 04 XLR. Same car I have been trying to untangle the Top/Trunk issue, causing it not to function. However we also need to replace the Front and Rear shocks. You mention in this forum response of a Bilstein shock that would require adding a termination resistor in the rear shock connections. Do you know what the resistance should be or how I may do that? If so I would appreciate the information.

I don't need shocks at the present time, but I am also interested in the information about the resistance and where to connect the resistors at. Thanks

Last edited:
In a Reader's Digest Condensed version sort of explanation, my PM explained why I don't post detailed DIY information regarding safety-related systems. My recommendation is to use replacement OEM parts whenever possible to keep the car as close to the way the engineers designed it.

To answer your question though, the rear shocks expect to see .5 to 2.0 ohms.

CCC :wave:

In a Reader's Digest Condensed version sort of explanation, my PM explained why I don't post detailed DIY information regarding safety-related systems. My recommendation is to use replacement OEM parts whenever possible to keep the car as close to the way the engineers designed it.

To answer your question though, the rear shocks expect to see .5 to 2.0 ohms.

CCC :wave:

Thanks for the insight.

2004 XLR REAR SHOCK DROPED ON DRIVERS SIDE

CCC

Gentleman , can someone Please assist me why my 2004 XLR is slightly lower on the Passenger rear wheel
No sensors are appearing on dash . I was told by the Cadillac dealer nothing is wrong with but apparently
the rear wheel is riding on the inside wheel well .
Thanks Alex

A couple of things come to mind, though it's guesswork without pictures or being there.

A bad shock, a broken leaf spring, or adjuster bolt.

Take it to a suspension shop (or a different dealer) for a second opinion. Your car should be level and not biased to one side.

CC :wave:

Your XLR suspension is essentially the same as a Corvette so any shop specializing in servicing Corvettes should be able to help. It's probably just a broken spring height adjuster, but the Cadillac dealer will want to sell you a whole new leaf spring just to replace the adjuster which is available on the aftermarket for a fraction of the cost.

i ownder if on the corvette forums they have detailed the magnetic ride replacement trick.
i know they have teh mag ride option. i will search.
probably a kit available to plug into all 4 sensor wires to bypass the system, and then just install regular shocks.
i bet corvette speed shops know all about it.

like these for a c6, 05-13, anyone try them ?

2005-2013 Corvette RTD Shock Absorber MIL Simulators

and another method. posted all over the c5 and c6 forums. delete the magnetic ride with a tech 2
after installing aftermarket replacements
from corvetteforum
You cannot just take out the MRC shocks and [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]install[/FONT][/FONT] conventional shocks without causing an error message to appear that your speed is limited tp 80mph. There are electrical connections at the top of each shock that are connected to a controller and that in turn is connected to the main computer. You have to go through a very specific procedure with the aid of a TECH II tool to delete the F55 option. Here are the specifics from a post I copied a couple of years back:

1. Hook up your Tech 2 (Driver's footwell), turn the car ON, make sure the module in the left rear storage compartment (pull back the velcro lining on the front of the compartment) is plugged in. DO NOT UNPLUG THIS MODULE

2. Now use the Tech 2 to delete the F45 option ( F55 option does not appear on the Tech 2 menu screen - SO - DELETE THE F45 OPTION
(use the screen captures - steps 2-14)

3. Save the new configuration

4. DO NOT TURN THE CAR OFF DO NOT REMOVE THE TECH 2 Go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the GRAY connector - IT IS THE WIDEST ONE - leave the other 1 (F/45) or 2 (F/55) plugged in.

5. Turn off the car but LEAVE THE TECH 2 PLUGGED IN

6. Remove remaining plugs from module in the rear of the car - Never plug them back in again, if you do the F/45 turns on automatically.

7. Now the moment of TRUTH - Turn the car on and verify that the dreaded - MAX SPEED 80 MPH - is gone. This message was only present if you had already disconnected the shock sensors. Some people have had to disconnect their battery to allow the computer to reset to remove this message, but I would confirm with the Tech II that the F/45 was actually deleted first and if not reconnect everything and start again with step 1.

8. Unplug the Tech 2 - Get in the car and take it for a ride. Smile as you pass the DREADED 80 MPH.

With these instructions in their hands even the most inexperienced tech can do this. It took mine 5 minutes and they charged me $25. I would have spent much more time and effort getting and installing [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]resistors
[/FONT].

If you haven't already changed your shocks drive home carefully as the shocks become very soft, not dangerous but as GM advises keep it under 80MPH.[/FONT]

You MUST follow the above instructions EXACTLY to delete the F55 RPO.

Read more: Replacing MRC Shocks with Regular Shocks - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
another set of resistors for c4-c5 vettes
several people have stated that the plugs vary from vehicle to vehicle, some cars may have a plug that fits a different resistor.
Caspers Electronics RTD Simulator C4-C5 'Vette - Livernois Motorsports

could also make your own at radio shack i am sure for almost nothing!

in reality any corvette speed shop can work on the XLR, especially the suspension,
and can do a whole MRC shock replacement with coilovers or bilsteins and fix the warning light.
all 4 wheels for about the cost of one MRC shock.

Last edited:

CCC

Hi CCC, Could you please tell me where I can find the Suspension Control Module in my 2004 XLR? I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins and I need to deprogram the F55. The corvette guys have theirs in the trunk in the little well on the left side of the car. Where is it located in our XLR's?? Thanks in advance for any help.

See Ya! Randy

Sure. Lift the corner of the rat fur carpet at the left/rear of the trunk. Underneath, you'll see another cover that protects the Folding Top Hydraulic Pump and the adjacent Folding Top Control module plugged into it. The other module is the Suspension Control module.

This is one of the few plug-and-play modules you can replace without having to have any programming performed on it.

While you're in there, it's a good idea to inspect the drain tube to prevent both modules from getting fried (along with the pump) if it gets clogged. There are many, many posts regarding this known issue.

CC :wave:<strike></strike>

Last edited:
Sure. Lift the corner of the rat fur carpet at the left/rear of the trunk. Underneath, you'll see another cover that protects the Folding Top Hydraulic Pump and the adjacent Folding Top Control module plugged into it. The other module is the Suspension Control module.

This is one of the few plug-and-play modules you can replace without having to have any programming performed on it.

While you're in there, it's a good idea to inspect the drain tube to prevent both modules from getting fried (along with the pump) if it gets clogged. There are many, many posts regarding this known issue.

CC :wave:<strike></strike>

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I found the module exactly where you said it would be. The compartment was dry as a popcorn fart, but I inspected the drain tube as per you suggestion. Yup, it was full of debris and would probably flood if ever exposed to rain. An ounce of prevention... As the say! Thanks again CC, you are the best!

On Monday I have an appointment with a local shop that has a Tech II, to get the F55 deprogramed. So far I've only driven it about 10 miles around town with the Bilstein Shocks and it rides like a dream. No more "clunk" in the front suspension and rides smooth, like a Cadillac should. Also, on Monday I'm expecting the delivery of my 1" Z51 rear sway bar. That should take care of the swaying through the clover leafs.

See Ya! Randy

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back