Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mallett Cars 6 sp

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
Has anyone come across an XLR (V) modified by Mallett Cars in NC with an manual 6 speed Trans???
This is an option I would aggressively pursue, could it be done to "factory" qualiy.
Warrantee, non withstanding.

Rusty

Manual 6 sp

I'm latching onto your thread - I'd be very interested in anyone's experience converting an XLR-V to a manual transmission. Mine sits in storage all winter, so it would be "available" to the right shop. Thanks!

From what I was told by the sales person at Mallett cars they did one in 2007 for Jim Taylor, the then CEO of Cadillac. The cost is 15K quoteded to me, and the finished product is factory quality.

I'm latching onto your thread - I'd be very interested in anyone's experience converting an XLR-V to a manual transmission. Mine sits in storage all winter, so it would be "available" to the right shop. Thanks!

Would certainly make the car more efficient from a sports car perspective. Most pro drivers who have lapped the car say the tranny is the weakest link from their view. It shift erratically and never when you want/need it to.

I think the most critical work needs to be done to the console, to adapt the 6 speed shift pattern seamlessly as well as hide the new bell housing. Also, to my knowledge there has never been a factory clutch driven Northstar motor, thus at least the flywheel would need to be drilled and tapped for the clutch as well as bosses for bolting on an adapted or manufactured bell housing. The chassis being corvette. should accept the tranny easily, as it is rear mounted in the corvette extant and replace the current hydromatic. I was told the firewall and cowl is already suitable for the pedals. Maybe even the rear of the bell housing supports could be simple.
All in all, I think the 15K is reasonable if you factor in profit. The only down side, is warrantee or GMPP implications of such a significant modification to the drive train.

Would certainly make the car more efficient from a sports car perspective. Most pro drivers who have lapped the car say the tranny is thew weakest link form their view. It shift erratically and never when you want/need it to.

Sounds like a great upgrade. Too bad they didn't offer it from the factory, as the Corvette's have (and had) it in the same frame/production facility.

On another note, the Eurpoeans are now into 7 and 8 speed SMG (sequential manual gearbox) technology - I am amazed Corvette hasn't offered one of those yet (maybe the GM Bankruptcy...). Seems like a far superior tranny...

I would think this would be a fairly easy upgrade to execute.... Give us a call if you are serious about looking into this. 562-595-8518

Thank you,

Dr. Design

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry