Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MECUM AUCTION - AUSTIN, TX

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
Three XLR's slated for sale - two fixing to go on in a few minutes - two are 2005's - black, red and and one 08 blue (platinum).
Curious to see results

red/tan 05 - 71,000 miles - no sale at $20,000

black/gray 05 - 88,000 miles - no sale at $15,000

probably be another hour before the 08 (34,000 miles) goes on

WATCH IT LIVE HERE:
https://www.mecum.com/

Last edited:
The Electra Blue got to $27k - no sale.

From what I've seen the newer, high end cars ('06+ Mercedes, BMW's, etc) do NOT do well at the Mecum auctions.

I was the one that picked up the 2005 red - got it for 15k - I believe that was a good deal ... happy to join the forum !!

I was the one that picked up the 2005 red - got it for 15k - I believe that was a good deal ... happy to join the forum !!

CONGRATULATIONS! I should say you got a good deal as the "bid goes on" price shown on tv was $20,000!!:thumbsup Welcome to the clan.

thats a sweet deal ! congrats on the purchase.
i am guessing you are on the younger side from your other post ? good to see a new generation taking an interest in the XLR :thumbsup
very exotic car for not much money.

Yes - my father and I are huge gear heads - I am of the new generation - you know fuel injection, coil overs and Diagnostic ports on cars :)
My father is a little old school - has a 56' belair. 66, 67, and 69 GTO, 2 73 formula firebirds (ones a doner car), 71 Bronco, 73 stingray 454, and his most modern one is a 91 bmw 850i, .... HOWEVER the 850 is a maintenance disaster - so many electronics ... so many fail points ... and I really wanted to get him a car that he can take out on the weekend you know? Something modern yet unique and that could be had for a reasonable price. As well as being relatively easy to maintain .. .(the XLR is a new generation GM car so those are still relative easy to fix and get repaired if we can not do it ourselves)

Anyway .... the 850 has huge electrical/ battery drain issues and has been out of commission for some time - beautiful car - BBS wheels, springs, sway bars ground fx - interior is almost perfect. But it is just not reliable. Once the electrical is sorted out it will be for sale shortly.

I myself have had 2 C6 corvettes so have always been a fan of the platform.

So with that said - we went to Meccum and started looking .. I forget how amazing those things are in person - so many beautiful cars, so many different kinds. New, Old, Super cars, cruisers - all kinds for all types.

We got there Saturday early and started looking in the bid goes on cars from friday. Its always fun to see what other people dont buy yet some are exactly what you or I would love. Anyway had been there about 30 minutes and seen many cars .. I was starting to kick around the idea of maybe a late model mercedes...You can get those pretty cheap because they depreciate like rocks. But then I realized it would be a newer version of the same problem with the 850 bmw - if anything broke on them. And as anyone who knows cars know - they DO break. And it wouldnt be something that you can fix yourself in some cases.

So I quickly ruled those out .... I had always been kinda pushing him for an early model base c6 corvette and I think he would bite if there was one -- but there wasnt .... so I continued to look ,, and thats when I saw the black XLR .... but it was ROUGH ... chips and cracks in the paint, the leather was cracked or worn through in many spots .. and the mileage was not ideal. As you saw above it was a little high .. PLUS it was like 21k!!! ... so quickly ruled that out. NEXT i saw the Blue XLR.. way nicer ... cool color, interior was nice .. but price was even higher - I think they wanted 25k.....But the seed had been planted....

SO i thought that was it ...... at that point my father suggest we go sit down and watch the bidding..which can be fun as you probably could guess ... but it was PACKED ... but fortunately we found 2 seats that were right in the front row. We sat down and started watching. Within 5 minutes I look up and see the next car coming across the block - and its the red XLR. I was a little puzzled because I had not seen that car. Saw the stats... year, miles... and we were front row so could see all the paint imperfections, wear, tear etc... and there wasnt any! ...so that is when I elbowed my dad and said .. "get this car" lol

They start the bidding .... 30 .... no one bids ... no one says anything ... then someone jumps in at 10... then 11, then 12... then it pauses ... now at this point I was not sure it had a reserve but there was big sticker that said NO RESERVE .. so maybe it was the second time over the block ..... anyway .... it paused at 12k .. and I was thinking "no freaking way" so then at that point my dad jumps in at 13 .. and then someone quickly comes in at 14, my father counters at 14,500 ...the other bidder pauses then comes back with 15... so at this point we look at each other and silently agree to let it go. The announcer at this point literally says "are you kidding me Austin" .. every one laughs.... // starts to count down .. going once ... then my dad ever so slightly goes 15,500..... and wouldnt you know it .. gavel drops .. we got it!!

I was very excited, I have never done that before. I can see how you have to be very objective and not let emotions get to you - but man its hard.

Little long winded but a cool story.

At any rate ... I am very excited to get such a cool car at such a great price. As well as having a modern car that fulfills a need.

Its currently up on a rack in his garage. We are going through it with a fine tooth comb. We just replaced the axle back exhaust with the c6 SLP performance exhaust (the one that is like 700$) .. beautiful exhaust, great build quality and fit. BUT i will say this --- there is a reason why two muffler set ups cost more . lol ...it was hella hard getting that exhaust to line up just right. But hey we saved a grand ... Tips look amazing. Like everyone has said though .. .the exhaust is just a TAD too far back ...due to the XLR bumper. I've been researching how to protect that area and think maybe there is some heat resistant films out there .... that may work ... OR maybe just getting some heat resistant tape for JUST the underside lip is enough ... I dont know .. I dont want the area above the exhaust (on the back face of the bumper to be effected .. .but in thinking it through I bet it will be ok .. I mean the stock tips were even with the edge of the bumper and it was not effected.

In conclusion I am happy to be hear and look forward to many mods :)