Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mobile 1 Oil and Dexcool antifreeze

Gus

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Alpine white XLR
2008 XLR manual calls for both of the above brands. Any thoughts about either as I think there has been great improvements in both categories since 2008. I am replacing a water pump and I know Dexcool helps lubricate the seals in the pump but I have also heard from one mechanic that it also hardens in your radiator ( I guess depending on the amount of driving you do). Any other experiences would be enlightening. Thanks

unless you buy product made in 2008 manufactures seem to keep up with the times. I use mobile one and never had an issue. Dexcool problems where back when they claimed it was good for life People thought that meant they never had to open their radiator. so cars lost fluid ran hotter than they should and people would add tap water. All bad for the system
ALso bad radiator caps would cause loss of coolant and if the overflow tank was low would allow air back into the system instead of coolant. air in the system will do damage to any coolant. drain your system do a flush ,properly fill it and you will be good to go for 3-4 years at least.

While I mostly use Mobil 1 full-syn oil,,,,I have found Valvoline full-syn oil to be a high quality substitute.

Dex Cool for sure.....you don't want to mix Dex Cool and the old green coolant. Distilled water only mix

The GM coolant reservoir tanks and caps <> I've seen several problems. Keep a close eye on them.

p z

While I mostly use Mobil 1 full-syn oil,,,,I have found Valvoline full-syn oil to be a high quality substitute.

Dex Cool for sure.....you don't want to mix Dex Cool and the old green coolant. Distilled water only mix

The GM coolant reservoir tanks and caps <> I've seen several problems. Keep a close eye on them.

p z
Thanks for the input. I had it up on the rack to rotate tires and they called me over to show the pump leaking water. If a reservoir tank & caps did not have a good seal, could this possibly be the cause? I know the pump is not that much but the labor to replace it is. Happy New Year

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom