Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Necessary preventative scheduled maintenance.

James Landi

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 (red) with wire grrile
As some of you know who kindly provided advice on our purchase of a '07 with 28K miles, I am wondering about scheduled preventative maintenance regime. I have paid for but haven't picked up the car, and I can't get any itemized data on the car's maintenance-- I ASSUME it's been well cared for -- it's nearly prefect and under "on the lift" personal inspection showed no leaks, scraps, mud, rust, or accumulations of debris. I my research, I noted that there were posted a BIG maintenance hump at 30K with fluid flushes, etc. Clearly, the challenge here is age, and not wear. For example, if the coolant is original with the car, has it turned acidic after ten years? Are there items a DIYer can do (I'm an old shade tree mechanic). Your wise advice if fully appreciated. James

The best thing about the online manuals is they are easy to search!

Our XLR's were 4 and 5 years old when we got them, with relatively low miles. Other than routine oil changes, the only extra things we've done is a coolant system flush & change the brake fluid. A lot of people change the transmission fluid - we haven't done that based on discussions with a XLR tech friend who said that typically isn't needed based on system design. "Need" may change as they get older.

Maybe not "maintenance," but be sure the drain hole in the container in the trunk floor on the drivers side (which holds the electronics for the top and magnetic ride) is free of debris. Also, there is an AC drain up front on the passenger side. Have that checked to be sure it's clear too, because if not it can back up & the condensation from the AC will get into the passenger compartment & potentially fry the BCM (body control module). We check these two things at least once a year.

Also, there is a rear axle nut that will loosen up with time. Get that checked (mine needed tightening). You'll get noise from the back if it needs tightening.

Hope you get to pick up your XLR soon!

I believe any GM dealer service department can give you a printout of any & all service preformed to your car by a GM dealer if you give them the VIN number.

Last edited:
2007 XLR rear tie rod ends

I believe any GM dealer service department can give you a printout of any & all service preformed to your car by a GM dealer if you give them the VIN number.

I took the car for Maine inspection, and it passed--- the tech permitted me to stay with the car, so he test fluids (all need changing)... one replacement that needs doing is the two rear tie rods. Some "play" in the sub frame ends. Is this normal with less tha 30 K on the clock? Again, thank you for working me through these concerns. James

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom