Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Need Advice On Purchasing a XLR

soundhd

HI all, planning on purchasing an XLR hopefully by the spring of 2019. Have always liked them. Not really new to classic and high performance cars & trucks. Currently own a 1970 Roadrunner, 72 Olds 442, 2000 C5 Corvette and and a 2005 Chevy SSR. Going to be putting the Roadrunner (convertible) up for sale here in a week or two and plan on using some of that money for the purchase of an XLR. Would very much like to own an XLR-V but they might be a bit out of my price range. But anyway was hoping that I could get some advise on what to look for when shopping for an XLR. Every brand of vehicle does have it's "issues" so hoping to make a list up on what to look closely at when the time comes. I guess the only thing that I have heard about them (and this is by word of mouth...have not met anyone that owns one yet.....for some reason do not see them at the local cruise nights and or classic car shows around where I live in SE Michigan) is that they have been some issues with the folding hard top but I also heard about the same thing before I bought my SSR and so far have had no problems with it. So any help and advice on what to look for would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Make sure when looking into these cars you check the left trunk cubby. It’s the computer for top and car. Make sure that it’s dry and no water intrusion. If there is any water then back away. Also do a full open and close if the top. But one major point is get the car fax on the car. These cars of ours have little gremlins in them and will send out random codes that will make you frustrated sometimes. The 04/05’s had the headlight problems with water but the 06 -09 had the problem fixed. If you don’t plan on driving the car that much invest in a good battery tender.but since you’ve owned several classics you probably know about this. These cars the computer is always searching for the key fob. So the car never really shuts down. (But since you own a vette then you probably know)
Well these are just a few things to look at. Hope they don’t scare you away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGHTS!

Be SURE the lights (head, tail, turn, etc) ALL work properly, are not cracked, are not hazy to the point of unusablity, etc. Some of these are nigh on impossible to fix or replace! Top mechanism is next - cycle it several times. If possible, test drive and listen for wind noise indicating poor seals. Maybe even run it thru a car wash for the same reason.

The others replies here have covered some of the prime points. I would add, if you can get under it - preferably on a lift you can check to see if the shocks are leaking. Very expensive to replace but not a game changer as you can switch to a corvette type that does not have the magnetic system an a reasonable cost.

As with any older vehicle: Check how old the tires are, if over 6-7 years old they should be replaced regardless of miles on them, they are date code stamped. (you can google: 'how to check the manufacturer date on tires') One more thing you can check is the vehicles history with Cadillac. If you have the VIN you can check on any warranty services, recalls done, and work done on the car etc. Any Cadillac/Chev dealer can check this for you. Good luck with your search.

So an Olds 72 442 eh? Kind of dreaming about one of them!
:blinzel:

Tires

Saw your advice re: tires on classic cars. I just acquired a 1993 Cadillac Allante while at the Georgia, Road Atlanta race weekend in October 2018. The Cadillac had only 4,900 miles when I bought it. The original tires were dated 1991 and had less than 5,000 miles on them.

Drove the car back to Orlando, Florida (670 MILES) and the tires practically disintegrated on the trip. Replaced the tires immediately. I support your advice on this....been there; done that!

Steve

The others replies here have covered some of the prime points. I would add, if you can get under it - preferably on a lift you can check to see if the shocks are leaking. Very expensive to replace but not a game changer as you can switch to a corvette type that does not have the magnetic system an a reasonable cost.

As with any older vehicle: Check how old the tires are, if over 6-7 years old they should be replaced regardless of miles on them, they are date code stamped. (you can google: 'how to check the manufacturer date on tires') One more thing you can check is the vehicles history with Cadillac. If you have the VIN you can check on any warranty services, recalls done, and work done on the car etc. Any Cadillac/Chev dealer can check this for you. Good luck with your search.

So an Olds 72 442 eh? Kind of dreaming about one of them!
:blinzel:

Saw your advice re: tires on classic cars. I just acquired a 1993 Cadillac Allante while at the Georgia, Road Atlanta race weekend in October 2018. The Cadillac had only 4,900 miles when I bought it. The original tires were dated 1991 and had less than 5,000 miles on them.

Drove the car back to Orlando, Florida (670 MILES) and the tires practically disintegrated on the trip. Replaced the tires immediately. I support your advice on this....been there; done that!

Steve

Steve, you are just forever finding new ways to live life on the edge. Merry Christmas gift to yourself by surviving that!

Steve

Awesome to hear from you Steve! I assume you still have that beautiful white XLR? It is just as Stunning in White as the Red one's are Fast! I passed on a super low miles Allante not a few years back" it was red! What color is it and when will you post pictures?

I am assuming you did not have any of the tires actually explode on you? Lucky to have got home safely. Two summers ago, on our way back from the Shawshank/ Rock n Roll HOF tour - XLR gathering we were zipping along I90 east in a construction zone we had a tire issue. Steve was driving, I was in the passenger seat and suddenly there was a terrible thrashing in the right rear tire well. We were traveling at around 75-80 mph on a long sweeping curve when it happened: absolutely NO shoulder to pull over on and dare not stop on that curve with traffic barrelling up from behind. I swear I though my tire was shredding and taking out my entire rear fender in the process. When tires get old and blow out: generally that is what happens. Those tires were 6 years old and fairly low miles. Turns out we picked up a road reflector: they have a long spike in them and it must have been kicked up by the front tire and it pierced the rear but was trying to fling out: making all the thrashing. We likely travelled a quarter to half mile before there was a spot to pull over, by then the reflector had flung out (Steve saw a yellow thing fly in the rear view) and the tire had fully deflated. I felt sick as I got out to check the destruction - only to find there was none other than a flat tire. My rims were not even damaged, we were rolling slowly by the time it was flat, and the tire was grinding an popping as the tire folded but the rim was actually running with the rubber between it and the pavement. Anyway, knowing what I know old tire about blowout damage (my son owns a tire and mechanical repair shop) and after experiencing this I would NEVER drive tires older than 7 years old. I replaced my run flats with my Michelins when the car was 3 years old ( the summer after I bought it) and just replaced them again because of age. Incidentially: had to buy a new - non matching tire to get home but stuffed the other one in the back of the car (YES we managed to fit it in with our luggage etc) and my son inspected it and patched it as it was in great shape and the puncture was right in the middle of the tread and insured me it was safe. Gave me no trouble after but that tire had flaked and shed rubber inside during the incident and when I changed them this past spring that one had a fair bit of flaking again so it did see some damage.

Anyways, 'soundhd', good luck with your search and heed our 'tire' advice. BTW: What are you looking for? There was a beautiful 09 here at a car show in Punta Gorda two weeks ago for sale. I did not pay enough attention to it as the owners were not at the car at the time and I never ventured back to chat with them. I believe they were asking 40 grand which is a fair price for an 09 but don't remember the miles but I also dont remember it being a crazy high miler, it is a real nice car.. The 09's are the only ones that had visible changes to the exterior that you can tell an 09 from all the other years: all 09's (reg and V modlsl) also have the V style hood as well as the other styling cues I am talking about. If you are unaware of the differences let me know and I will post some comparison photo things I made up years back!

Here is the only photo I took of the Blue 09 I am speaking of. I could do some asking around if this car would be of interest to you: likely the caddy dealer would know the owner.

Attachments

• 20181202_110136.jpg
    20181202_110136.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 361
I do thank everyone for the replies. I have been involved with classic & high performance cars & trucks for some time now and do understand the issue with old tires. Recently replaced the tires on a 72 Olds 442 and a 2000 C5 corvette that I own...same issue...not many miles but getting old....best to be safe then sorry.....as for the XLR search, it all depends on when and how much I get for a 70 Roadrunner convertible I have for sale...looks like it might be sold, only the next month will tell.....sometimes these "things" take time.....If I get close to what I am asking for it, some of the money will go to a vinyl siding project here at home but if all goes well I just might have enough to "MAYBE" pick up a XLR-V.....again only time will tell. I want to thanks everyone who has replied with the issues to look for on the XLR's (assume the same with the XLR-V's except for the supercharger). I do own a 05 Chevy SSR so am familiar with that folding hardtop...not sure how similar the XLR top is but do have general idea how it all works.
Anyway have always wanted to own a Cadillac so am getting up there in years so better do it before I get to old to enjoy it.
So please keep the "tips" coming in and will be getting back when it gets close. Happy holiday everyone.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom