Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Need Help With the Name of a Part

kmariebox

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black
Feel a little silly here, but I need to order a part and have no idea what the name of it is... It's the plastic piece that goes under the center front-end of the car that will scrape a parking stone, if you've pulled too far forward over it.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on who/where to order it from, suggestions are gladly taken.

Thanks so much!

It's the air dam. You can get it from GMPARTSDIRECT.com. There's a center piece & two side wings. Know it 'cause been there done that on replacing it!

found the parts on ebay and at a corvette parts website. just did mine a few weeks ago :) even cheaper than at GM parts direct .
Center 21992641 (this is the one that is corvette interchangeable)
Left 10351603 (xlr specific)
Right 10351604 (xlr specific)

update: just did a quik scan of ebay and the parts shop i bought from before, shop is out of stock, ebay no great deals :(

still worth a look to see if the free shipping via ebay brings the price down a bit. that center piece is a bit tricky to install, comes out real easy, haha, but a bit of a tricky twist and push to get it to lock back in, you will see...

Last edited:
also of note,
if you really ran into a parking bumper, even just lightly, and it damaged the rubbery plastic valance
there is an aluminum support bracket down there also, that is VERY EASY TO BREAK.
it juts out on both sides from behind the valance.
this bracket holds up your radiator, so it really needs to be inspected closely if you think you might have crunched it.
if damaged , it can be welded, rather than replaced.
it is known to sometimes just crack when it gets hit, so welding is sometimes a viable option if its not bent and mashed all out of shape.
also a lot simpler to weld, cuz if you have to replace it, whole bumper has to come off etc. bigger PITA, and alor more money in labor.

hopefully your damage is simply the rubber valance, skirt, airdam thingy.

see the little silver bars under there, super easy to crunch!!
DSC_0413.jpg

to save you some time and money,,,

Kim,

If the part needs to be replaced,,,you might as well contact Danny Smith @ Legends Luxury Auto repair shop [scottsdale]..................I'm fairly sure he can order the part and charge you less than 'full retail price' (which is most likely what a Caddy dealer parts department is going to charge you for the part). And,,,Danny can install the part if you like.

Just my thoughts.... Good luck

pure zen, good call and thank you! I think I will have Danny take a look and see what exactly needs to be replaced. He has been a Godsend since I found him and I know my XLR would appreciate him figuring things out, rather than me- LOL!

Kim,

If the part needs to be replaced,,,you might as well contact Danny Smith @ Legends Luxury Auto repair shop [scottsdale]..................I'm fairly sure he can order the part and charge you less than 'full retail price' (which is most likely what a Caddy dealer parts department is going to charge you for the part). And,,,Danny can install the part if you like.

Just my thoughts.... Good luck

Once you find out which parts you need, PM me your VIN and I will check my prices. Since I have a business, I get 15-20% off list, depending upon the part.

I wound up taking the XLR to my regular & trusted mechanic (XLR Certified), as I knew he'd be able to identify for sure which of the 3 pieces I need. Turns out, the center piece is OK, the left wing is cracked/torn and he suggested replacing the right wing while we're at it, as it has some cosmetic issues as well. Thankfully, those metal brackets just have a few simple scratches on them. ** mtrocket, thank you for the offer. I was pleasantly surprised as they only run $50-$60 ** Parts are ordered and will be in next week.

I wound up taking the XLR to my regular & trusted mechanic (XLR Certified), as I knew he'd be able to identify for sure which of the 3 pieces I need. Turns out, the center piece is OK, the left wing is cracked/torn and he suggested replacing the right wing while we're at it, as it has some cosmetic issues as well. Thankfully, those metal brackets just have a few simple scratches on them. ** mtrocket, thank you for the offer. I was pleasantly surprised as they only run $50-$60 ** Parts are ordered and will be in next week.

You're welcome... glad you got it taken care of. Keep me in mind for anything else you may need in the future.

Hey, mtrocket- not sure if you can help on this one, but it's worth asking, just in case :)
I noticed a small hairline crack in the wood (dark eucalyptus color) of my shifter knob. I don't even want to consider having it repaired- I want it replaced. My certified XLR mechanic had trouble locating a new one (GM/OEM) in the color I need... He did find one, but it's about $500. We both looked at each other and said, "Hell No!" :(
I have seen them out there, for much less (a little under $100), but not the one I need. My XLR is a 2007 and my wood trim is dark eucalyptus. If I 'have' to pay $500 then, so be it, but don't want to, if I don't have to! Thanks.

Hey, mtrocket- not sure if you can help on this one, but it's worth asking, just in case :)
I noticed a small hairline crack in the wood (dark eucalyptus color) of my shifter knob. I don't even want to consider having it repaired- I want it replaced. My certified XLR mechanic had trouble locating a new one (GM/OEM) in the color I need... He did find one, but it's about $500. We both looked at each other and said, "Hell No!" :(
I have seen them out there, for much less (a little under $100), but not the one I need. My XLR is a 2007 and my wood trim is dark eucalyptus. If I 'have' to pay $500 then, so be it, but don't want to, if I don't have to! Thanks.

Not a problem checking, but I will need your VIN in order to check on the correct one.

Whops- that would be helpful!
The VIN # 1G6YV36A075601415
The part number needed is #10351952

Seems as though this is the only knob that is harder to find and most expensive! All the other ones run between $80 - $200.
I did find it at GM Parts Direct for $289.12, but they have a 'S & H and Processing Fee' of $69.39 and I refuse to give that part to them.
If I HAVE to, I'll go with one of a few other places I found, which will be lower than $358.51 (GM Parts Direct's total). Let me know what ya find and thanks again.

Whops- that would be helpful!
The VIN # 1G6YV36A075601415
The part number needed is #10351952

Seems as though this is the only knob that is harder to find and most expensive! All the other ones run between $80 - $200.
I did find it at GM Parts Direct for $289.12, but they have a 'S & H and Processing Fee' of $69.39 and I refuse to give that part to them.
If I HAVE to, I'll go with one of a few other places I found, which will be lower than $358.51 (GM Parts Direct's total). Let me know what ya find and thanks again.

My cost is $385.00. So, looks like you'd be better off with either of the ones you found. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
These sellers online must have gotten these at a He!! of a price to be able to sell them for what they are...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom