Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New battery, still won't start?

richo

My XLR/V(s)
Battery went dead. I replaced the battery. Everything comes up FOB works, Car will not start.

I hear a relay engage. Nothing else happens.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the issue?

Try replacing the fob battery &/or putting the fob in the slot in the glove box where you can start the car when the fob is dead (check your owner's manual). My dealer told me of a couple of people getting towed with your problem, they replaced the fob battery & all was well. I assume nothing came up on the DIC for those that got towed.

I tried the glovebox

I places both FOB in the slot. I got the same results. I will change the battery on the FOB and let you know if it works. Stay tuned.

New battery in the FOB

Same symptoms. No luck. Any ideas? I hate to have it towed!!!

Make sure you gear shift is in park all the way, I know a few people that couldn't get there car to start for that simple reason.

i did my battery replacement in december. same thing happened.
mine said no fob detected? ( i think it said that i cant remember anymore) it should say driver 1 or driver 2
getting the fob into the glove box slot PROPERLY got it to start. try flipping the fob over,
i recall the slot isnt very form fitting kinda just jams in there either way, try both ways, eventually mine saw driver 1 (i think)
also maybe i closed and opened the door a few times. locked and unlocked the doors via the fob...
thats how i knew the fob battery wasnt dead.
leave your window rolled down in case something is really fubar. then you can unlock via emergency lever.
make sure to press on the brake pedal a few times, hold it down when starting...

after that it was fine again. fob battery wasnt dead.
i think maybe the sensors go to sleep or something when you disconnect the battery.
once you get it to fire up the first time everything wakes up resets and goes back to normal.
mine has been normal ever since.

Last edited:
update

Thank you all. Here is where we are; after having no luck with the suggestions provided, I called the dealer. they said it sounds like " a major problem".

We dispatched a hook. The driver called to let me know he was on his way. I moved my other cars around my drive so the truck could get to the Caddy.

I said a few words to the Caddy and told it the tow truck was on its way. I opened up the door, sat down pressed the brake and she started right up.

Sounds like a major problem? Any ideas?

Thank you all for your support of the X driver.

Rich

Thank you all. Here is where we are; after having no luck with the suggestions provided, I called the dealer. they said it sounds like " a major problem".

We dispatched a hook. The driver called to let me know he was on his way. I moved my other cars around my drive so the truck could get to the Caddy.

I said a few words to the Caddy and told it the tow truck was on its way. I opened up the door, sat down pressed the brake and she started right up.

Sounds like a major problem? Any ideas?

Thank you all for your support of the X driver.

Rich

Hey Rich,

I'm so glad that she was finally able to start! If you ever decide to bring her into the dealers in the future, I am here to help you if you need anything. Please keep us all up to date on your Cadillac.

Regards,
Vivian K.
Cadillac Customer Care

You said you replaced the battery. I would check your connections first. Just make sure their tight. That clicking you hear should be the brake switch/relay. Never good when you have a intermittent electrical problem. Good luck let us know if you figure it out.
Funny how the dealership assumes you have a major problem. They almost had you hooked. Sad how you can't even rely on them. I constantly hear horror stories about people bringing their car to a dealership. They throw a whole bunch of parts at a problem and still don't solve it. On top of it they charge you for the work even though they don't fix it. :(

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back