Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Owner of 06 V Infrared

2006XLRV

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V Red
picked up a 22K mile V and it has extensive damage after striking a small tree before heading for a ditch after hydroplaning. Insurance carrier denied coverage so I bought it for a reduced price and looking to restore to it's former glory. Need parts so, Ebay, Craig's and Dealer I guess but mostly body damage.

Anyway looking forward to getting this on the road again. I put this in the registry the VIN is 1G6YX36D365600519. Car Fax showed it was in a corporate fleet in Michigan and Indiana for 7 months then sold at auction and purchased by dealer and sold to the seller that I purchased it from. My guess is that it was a GM Exec or Supplier Exec Brass Hat but seems like turning it at 8,261 miles was a little much for one of those as I used to work for PMD years ago and turned mine about every 3,000 miles.

At 62 I own a 91 Vette and a really cherry 98 Eldo ETC with 61K in Crimson Pearl nice set of stock chrome wheels and Vogue tyres. Well that's how they spell tires anyway I will be selling the Quasar blue Vette but the more I think about the Eldo it will make a good stable mate for the V.

Any comments or advise from the membership out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Murphy

Welcome to the XLR Net and hopefully we'll be able to help get your XLR-V back on the road again!

Congratulations!

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. I like your plan, sell the Vette, keep the Eldorado. You gotta love lots of chrome and mustard and mayo on those bigg Caddys. :thumbsup. Post some pictures if you haven't already.

Progress Finally

May1,2017 014.jpgMay1,2017 015.jpgMay1,2017 016.jpgAfter almost a year and several thousand dollars the V is running, the frame and wiring have been repaired and it is ready for the body shop. I had to pull the engine, replace the pan, a valve cover, the right front frame rail, repair the wiring to the PCM, Ride control Module and Headlamp control module as well as replace all of the modules that mount on the frame rail and behind the front fender. Also the transmission and engine oil coolers, right exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, battery tray, fenders inner and outer headlamps and front bumper with grille assemblies, an AC line and as a precaution the water pump and belts. I still need the PCM weather shield that no yard seems to want to respond to me for and it is not available new. Re-assemble, paint and tires should do it.

Can't believe it started and ran on 3 year old gas. They should have drained the tanks,

Might replace the engine cover it has a nick out of it on passenger side you really have to look for. Looks like you can still get new so might sell the old one if someone does not care about the minor damage. Just pray the top works after we finish programing all the computers.May1,2017 032.jpg

Selling the 98 Eldo TC with 63,000 miles and a nice set of Vogues if anyone interested. 2 Cadillacs are enough

Welcome to The Club ! : )

Wow. Quite a project. For sure not for the faint of heart, FYI, XLR's and Eldorado's live nicely next to each other under their car covers in the garage. ;)

Welcome

XLRV & Eldo as Stablemates

Normally I would say that is true but my significant other tells me that between the XLRV, the ETC Eldo and my 2015 ATS is one too many and needs to have the heard thinned. Building a house with a 5 car garage and need room for 2 motorcycles anyway along with her vehicle. My Caddy's are all two doors and we should have a 4 door so the Eldo and the ATS AWD will probably be replaced by a CT6?

Not sure yet Drove the Eldo recently and after driving a newer Caddy and getting the XLRV closer to the road just makes me not want to get behind the wheel like I used to so for some lucky person a low mileage pristine Crimson Red ETC is in their future.:)

So True!

Normally I would say that is true but my significant other tells me that between the XLRV, the ETC Eldo and my 2015 ATS is one too many and needs to have the heard thinned. Building a house with a 5 car garage and need room for 2 motorcycles anyway along with her vehicle. My Caddy's are all two doors and we should have a 4 door so the Eldo and the ATS AWD will probably be replaced by a CT6?

Not sure yet Drove the Eldo recently and after driving a newer Caddy and getting the XLRV closer to the road just makes me not want to get behind the wheel like I used to so for some lucky person a low mileage pristine Crimson Red ETC is in their future.:)

I am familiar with this limiting factor in car ownership. :) Please click on my listing, "My Garage" on my membership header here and you will see to what I was 'also' referring. ;) Recently, I have been lobbying on another vintage convertible I found on line, but to no avail. Sigh! Her foot has gone down! As in, "NO, NO MORE!" :( She just doesn't understand the importance of this. Go figure. :dunno:

If it ever (?) stops snowing here, I plan on enlarging my existing garage this summer to accommodate up to six cars. Plans are drawn to scale, top view and elevations, and surveying has been done. Planning for vaulted trusses so I can later install a lift. Meeting resistance on this as well. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom