Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Owner

bikemanbrad

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 black XLR
Just put a deposit on an all black 2005 XLR.
Had it checked out at a Cadillac dealer. Needs one key fob and a small bend in a chrome wheel. Hope it is not as bad as I just read someone on here say about not being worth the money.

Only word of advice.........Get a good extended warranty. I'm on my second one for our XLR, and I've already got my money back and more

Warranty

Thank You. Can you please tell me more about that.
So the car has given trouble ?
Nice to meet you, my friend.
Have three Eldorados but always wanted an XLR.

The car is pretty solid as far as mine goes, but I'd rather pay 1500 for an extended warranty with 100 deductible than pay over 2 grand for a broken steering rack.
Not being snarky, but take your time, and start reading from the first post on this forum. You'll have a better feel for the car. There are some parts that are unobtainable now so you need to be ready for that. A headlight or taillight are the main parts that will cause an insurance company to total the car if they're broken.

why was that rack so High .The 4 or 5 sources I found all rebuild them for like 400 -600. Is the stealer just marking it up that much or is that labor and all total?

So your steering went at how many miles ?
Getting nervous ....the car has 27,000 miles and is $20,000 and I'm not garaging it. Is yours in the garage and only out for rides ?
Thanks.

Cadillac dealer getting all they can. Was for part only. My warranty people probably decided it was too much also, as they are sending the dealer the part themselves.

Daily Driver

Mine is to be a daily driver also in nice weather.
I drive an '02 Eldorado everyday and really wanted a convertible Sports car to drive and the hardtop makes it perfect for me.
I have two collectible convertibles but they sit in garages and have collector car insurance.
Just nervous now about the lights....they go bad or just if in an accident and damaged ?
Hope I'm not making a mistake....27,000 miles...looks new and $20,000 ?

Congrats and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, so how many miles now ?
I was really into getting my XLR next week ?
Then I came across this site and now don't know what to do.
Will it be worth very little or not be able to be repaired at some time ?
Confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Buying one of these is not so different than buying any 10+ year old vehicle, sometimes they break. If a part isn't available from GM, there are usually other sources (ebay, salvage, etc) There are also a lot of really creative folks on here that come up with work arounds and fixes for things that just about anybody can do on their own. If you look hard enough, somewhere on the internet, there is someone complaining about something on every car. Think of this site as a resource to overcome your issues because if you have one, chances are that someone else has seen it.

Bottom line, don't be afraid of the car if you have had it inspected and like it, enjoy it! If it does break (which it probably will, its a car) stop back by here and see if we can help you. Live my friend...not in the shadows, but in the sunshine - preferably with the top down!!!

Gary

I agree with ghawk. Any 10 year car will have some problems and need work at some point. But someone somewhere on the internet highway will know someone or have the part your looking for. Some of us just have these and love to drive them. I’ve already had to put 4 new shocks on mine. Really the front one was blown. But to save money in long run I just had my dealer replace all 4 at the same time. That was a heavy price. Also had to put new front brake pads on her. I had a hairline crack in my radiator hose that was 1,900 I think. But the charge included the search and flashing of the system. Oh btw when it’s cold out my low coolant message comes on. But after the car warms up. It goes away. But now that my warranty expired i have all these expenses paid out of pocket now. When I had the warranty. My extended warranty paid out a total of in the neighborhood of 16 k or somewhere in that price range. Idk the actual numbers to the exact cent. But I have all the work documented and have always taken my car to the dealer. These express services and pep boys (I’ve heard from my service dealer) say they’ve had customers come into the service bays and have found out that those guys didn’t use the right seal gasket or other compound to seal it properly. So just watch who you take the xlr too. When these cars first came out only certain dealerships were experienced in working on these cars.

I agree with ghawk. Any 10 year car will have some problems and need work at some point. But someone somewhere on the internet highway will know someone or have the part your looking for. Some of us just have these and love to drive them. I’ve already had to put 4 new shocks on mine. Really the front one was blown. But to save money in long run I just had my dealer replace all 4 at the same time. That was a heavy price. Also had to put new front brake pads on her. I had a hairline crack in my radiator hose that was 1,900 I think. But the charge included the search and flashing of the system. Oh btw when it’s cold out my low coolant message comes on. But after the car warms up. It goes away. But now that my warranty expired i have all these expenses paid out of pocket now. When I had the warranty. My extended warranty paid out a total of in the neighborhood of 16 k or somewhere in that price range. Idk the actual numbers to the exact cent. But I have all the work documented and have always taken my car to the dealer. These express services and pep boys (I’ve heard from my service dealer) say they’ve had customers come into the service bays and have found out that those guys didn’t use the right seal gasket or other compound to seal it properly. So just watch who you take the xlr too. When these cars first came out only certain dealerships were experienced in working on these cars.

Wow, 16,000....maybe this is out of my league.
Also, unfortunately the car has 20" chrome wheels and low profile tires.
I had a vibration I felt when reaching 50 MPH.
The Cadillac dealer when inspecting for me was to take off and check wheels for balance ...they found that 3 wheels were bent supposedly by potholes.
The dealer where I am purchasing said they'd have all three fixed that it happens all the time.
Today I drove it and it does the same thing.
I asked if it could be the one wheel that wasn't taken off at the drivers front and they are going to do this now.
The steering wheel is fine but vibration in the car.
Afraid to buy especially with your expenses.
My 2002 and 2000 Eldorados ate silly smooth and never any trouble.
So confused and afraid even though it's such a beautiful car and was the first one in a couple of years that's close enough.
Thanks.

Click when starting

Does anyone know if you hear a slight clicking by the navigation when you push the start button ?
Only noticed it on my second test drive.
One more wheel has to be checked due to the vibration when hitting 50 MPH.
Will need to buy one for and have programmed.
Caddy dealer says they want $300 with the fob and programming.

The Cadillac dealer when inspecting for me was to take off and check wheels for balance ...they found that 3 wheels were bent supposedly by potholes.
The dealer where I am purchasing said they'd have all three fixed that it happens all the time.
I asked if it could be the one wheel that wasn't taken off at the drivers front and they are going to do this now.
So confused and afraid even though it's such a beautiful car and was the first one in a couple of years that's close enough.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to The XLR Site

Welcome aboard. Yes these are very cool cars! And like 'all', things, including 'you and me', something will eventually wear out and break. Yet, I have found my XLR to be pretty 'reliable'. Not any more 'problematic' than any other vehicle. Hawkeye described the "Low Coolant" warning coming on after sitting for awhile. Mine also. Common. --- It is my "opinion" that running really "low profile tires" is not a good idea. Not enough cushion, and too close to the road resulting in additional, and possible rim damage. They are low slung cars to begin with. --- Just 'me'. --- Essential that when 'parked', you keep it on a Battery Maintainer.

Do your homework for your 'area' and find a shop that has good hands on Tecs that know The XLR. In my case this is my local Cadillac Dealer who I have used when I either don't want to do the work myself, or don't have the tools required on hand. Sometimes, I have just too many other projects going on, so will farm it out.

Not to worry. Rather, just enjoy your really neat new ride! ;)

Last edited:
Oh and another good investment I just learned and bought from another xlr guy at the reunion we just had. A front curb alert. Since these cars have a long nose and are lower then most cars. Hey it’s a sports car with low center of gravity. You can get these online or probably at any car parts store. I don’t know where the guy that I bought mine off of bought his from. Some ppl have installed them attached to the lower grill. I think my service guy just attached it to the lower bumper. So it’ll read it better. The main reason I got this curb alert was because sometimes my mom drives mine and forgets where the nose of the car is (she’s used to driving a Honda Odyssey van).

Thanks, have and have had many cars in my lifetime but thr Gentleman having spent $16,000 has me worried about going through with this purchase.
I also never had or wanted low profile tires but it already has them.
Also when driving it the second time after the rims were fixed I noticed a clicking sound around the radio or CD when I pushed the
start button....normal ?
I have 2 Eldorados, an old SL, a 72 Alfa and four bikes....always wanted one of these but never one close enough intil this one.
Want to keep it outside unfortunately due to no garage but will be accessible for a fun car in nice weather.

UOTE]Welcome aboard. Yes these are very cool cars! And like 'all', things, including 'you and me', something will eventually wears out and breaks. Yet, I have found my XLR to be pretty 'reliable'. Not any more 'problematic' than any other vehicle. Hawkeye described the "Low Coolant" warning coming on after sitting for awhile. Mine also. Common. --- It is my "opinion" that running really "low profile tires" is not a good idea. Not enough cushion, and too close to the road resulting in additional, and possible rim damage. They are low slung cars to begin with. --- Just 'me'. --- Essential that when 'parked', you keep it on a Battery Maintainer.

Do your homework for your 'area' and find a shop that has good hands on Tecs that know The XLR. In my case this is my local Cadillac Dealer who I have used when I either don't want to do the work myself, or don't have the tools required on hand. Sometimes, I have just too many other projects going on, so will farm it out.

Not to worry. Rather, just enjoy you really neat new ride! ;)[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if you hear a slight clicking by the navigation when you push the start button ?
Only noticed it on my second test drive.
One more wheel has to be checked due to the vibration when hitting 50 MPH.
Will need to buy one for and have programmed.
Caddy dealer says they want $300 with the fob and programming.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it’s not from your mirrors? I think someone else posted about a clicking sound from their navigation. Just go back and search the threads on the forum.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back