Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Tires for XLR-V, Different Perspective

ebferro

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red XLR-V
Hopefully no one will mind if I start a new thread about tires for my XLR-V. I have different needs than richardyoo and didn't want to hijack his thread.
My brother is getting me a set of OEM chrome rims for my '07 XLR-V. I want to keep the original wheels and tires as they are and just put them away. I was thinking about just buying another set of Pirelli euphoria@ tires for the chrome wheels but after reviewing their rating on TireBarn, I didn't come away impressed. The Pirellis are rated 36 out of 39 tires in the Ultra High Performance Summer Tire category. In the would buy again category, they're rated at a 4.1 which is really pretty low. The Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport is rated best in that category but the rating miles are fairly low. The Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval and Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 are rated number 2 and 3 with over a million rating miles. In the would you buy again category, they are rated much higher than the Pirellis.
There is another category of tires called Maximum Performance Summer tires that also look interesting. In that category, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are rated 1 and 2 respectively. Both of these tires are rated highly in the would buy again category and the Goodyears have significant rating miles. The reason that I'm kind of focused on the Goodyears is because they come closest in sizes to the Pirellis. The other tires aren't as close.
So, my questions are these.
Does anyone know of any reason that the Maximum Performance Summer tires couldn't be used instead of the Ultra High Performance Summer tires?
Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Exalto PE2?
Does anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval tires?
Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 tires?
If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
I was really surprised at the cost of the Pirellis, too. They were about $450 per tire. The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are about $150 each less expensive but don't come in a P235 width. The closest width is a P245. Does anyone know if the 10mm additional width will give me problems? These would be the front tires. The Goodyears do come in the proper width for the rears.
Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

I don't think you should compare the Pirelli's with the other tires you're looking at... I did a quick look up of the tires you listed, and I don't think any of them are run-flats... that alone would explain the price difference.

As for the 235 vs 245 in the front - thats no problem... there are people running 255's all around with OE rims on the XLR-V.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom