Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New to XLR

Bbrown41

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Red XLR
Hello, Just picked up a Red 04, and now I’m reading about the problems that I know I have. Burnt upper light lenses, intermittent fuel gauge, and a oil leak. Love the way the car looks, and drives, but the more I read the more I wonder. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Thanks, Bob

Welcome to the XLR Net Bob and congrats on your 2004 XLR. We have a great group of owners here with a lot of experience with the XLR. If you have questions, post them in the Tech forum below this forum. Also, checkout the Knowledge Base here that has service bulletins that may be helpful to you.

Congratulations and welcome fellow XLRian. I bought and joined Dec 31. This is probably the best forum I've been a apart of. No side I comments or comments that make you feel like an idiot. Rob, Longtall Sally and mickeytee are a wealth of information on the intricacies of this car. You'll hear about parasitic draw on the battery, water damage to suspension and roof top modules, draw backs of jumping the battery or using a jumper box. Don't be afraid to ask a question for I have asked several since Dec about repairs, replacement and hair brained ideas. All where met an answer. The one thing I noticed about all the owners is that theirs a story behind their purchase. I think that's the difference between a collector and the the one time, buy the car of my dreams driver. There's a lot of information in the forum. I find myself going down a rabbit hole reading some of it. Once again, welcome.

Reactions: Rob
Welcome Bob-- as is the case with all cars, they age, and alas, some intrinsic design challenges usually show up over time. Time is a factor, even if the mileage is not high, as certain components deteriorate as a natural progression of decay-- there are many posts and suggestions regarding the front lights, and the amber burn lens is a challenge. Some of us make a point of turning off all of the front lights when day driving. Others have success in carefully opening up the units and replacing the lens with "work arounds." And there are reports of companies that repair them--- if you go the repair route, ask questions and research here-- a load of information appears. Regarding engine oil leaks, apparently they occur over time and use. I'm much less inclined to spend a bunch of money on a small leak as long as the leak is not hitting a super hot spot on the exhaust system with the potential of a fire. Small oil seal seepage is not a threat. There have been reports of fuel gauge issues... if you've not researched this one, it's a challenge to fix. I've had that problem on other cars, and I simply post an odometer reading on the dash, and fuel up after a certain number of miles have passed. All this is to say that if your car looks great, drives well, and provides you with a good deal of pleasure, I'd enjoy it, maintain it, and avoid focusing on the minor issues as long as they are not potentially major ones in the making. Don;t hesitate to post your concerns-- good people own and love these car. Hope this helps, James

Well said James. My repairs are from a son taking dads car and letting fall apart. Two of my repairs are camshaft position sensors leaking and missfire in the #2 cylinder. Definitely getting those done. Then there's headlight ballast and igniter, front shock leaks, coolant leak at the lower clamp, ride control/stabilitrak needs service and lastly, the roof top module fell pray to water damage. All is fixable and a labor of love for the car. Don't know your level of knowledge when it comes to cars or specifically the XLR. Don't beat yourself up when it comes to XLR issues or concerns because EVERYONE on this site understands them and works to get you on the road...

Welcome Bob-- as is the case with all cars, they age, and alas, some intrinsic design challenges usually show up over time. Time is a factor, even if the mileage is not high, as certain components deteriorate as a natural progression of decay-- there are many posts and suggestions regarding the front lights, and the amber burn lens is a challenge. Some of us make a point of turning off all of the front lights when day driving. Others have success in carefully opening up the units and replacing the lens with "work arounds." And there are reports of companies that repair them--- if you go the repair route, ask questions and research here-- a load of information appears. Regarding engine oil leaks, apparently they occur over time and use. I'm much less inclined to spend a bunch of money on a small leak as long as the leak is not hitting a super hot spot on the exhaust system with the potential of a fire. Small oil seal seepage is not a threat. There have been reports of fuel gauge issues... if you've not researched this one, it's a challenge to fix. I've had that problem on other cars, and I simply post an odometer reading on the dash, and fuel up after a certain number of miles have passed. All this is to say that if your car looks great, drives well, and provides you with a good deal of pleasure, I'd enjoy it, maintain it, and avoid focusing on the minor issues as long as they are not potentially major ones in the making. Don;t hesitate to post your concerns-- good people own and love these car. Hope this helps, James
Well said James...

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, looking forward to the interaction. Love the way the car looks and drives, was expecting a little more pep, but the comfort will make up for it. I’m finding out about the lack of parts and support as I go. The only thing I’ve attacked so far is to low coolant level message, no sensor listed, and Rockauto had tanks with sensor included for sale. Got 2 tanks, and neither had a sensor. Sent them back, and jumpered the plug. I have ordered a sensor for a 2013 - 2018 Dodge that looks the same, but in gray. Figured I would give it a try. Thanks again for your time.
Bob

Remember the basic convertible is the Northstar V8 engine package. Nothing like the supercharged "V." Good luck with the sensor swap. As mickeytee would say, update us on how that goes for future work arounds....

Hello, Just picked up a Red 04, and now I’m reading about the problems that I know I have. Burnt upper light lenses, intermittent fuel gauge, and a oil leak. Love the way the car looks, and drives, but the more I read the more I wonder. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Thanks, Bob
Bob, Welcome to the group. The one thing I would do right out of the gate is get a battery tender and make sure your car is hooked up to it when you aren't using it. A night doesn't go by that my car is not on a battery tender.
John F.

Sounds like great advise. I need to cross check the battery that’s installed too, to make sure it’s not just something cheap just to get by.

Well I received the Dodge coolant level sensor, it was a little shorter than the original. Plug was the same, and it fit perfectly into the tank. Didn’t get rid of the error. Went back to the shorted plug.

Attachments

• D199584C-2007-45C4-8A6E-EB207DA0332A.jpeg
    D199584C-2007-45C4-8A6E-EB207DA0332A.jpeg
    878.8 KB · Views: 141

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics