Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Press Release Newbee needs some advise please...

okeesignguy

Hello everyone...My name is Gary and I came here hoping to find some advise/help...
I have been a car guy all of my life and have owned several Corvettes...

When my wife and I toured the Corvette plant a few years ago, we were impressed with the XLR and thought it was cool that it was kind of a luxury Corvette...

Well...having just sold my Nova SS I am looking to buy something and am considering one of these :)
I am taking my time searching out my next car and seeing as how I live in Florida, I am going to the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee this Friday and Saturday...

I go every year because it is an awesome car show but I have never bought a car there and although I probably will not buy one there this year either, I am registered as a bidder and will be able to buy if I decide to...

Now to the advice part :)
On saturday there is an XLR up for bid and I am considering bidding on it if it doesn't get too high...
I am attaching a link to the car on the Mecum site for your review (hope you can see it) and would love any advice at all on things to look for, what would be a good price etc...

I appreciate any help given very much...thank you!

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=FL0115-201653

newbee needs some advice please

Gary
Having owned a XLR for over four years I can say it is a wonderful car. They have a few problems but all and all I haven't been disappointed for one moment. If I was going to an auction for one I would take the serial # to a dealer and get a history of the problems it has experienced. Run a car fax to verify a good title. Make sure the top functions up and down a few times. Check the drivers side well in the truck for water damage.
Saying you owned a vett I would guestion how much performance means to you. If that is important I would hunt down a XLR V. Also keep in mind GM is having a problem supplying parts in case of an accident. I have seen a few XLR'S totaled by th insurance companies with little collisions
V Happy:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Gary
Having owned a XLR for over four years I can say it is a wonderful car. They have a few problems but all and all I haven't been disappointed for one moment. If I was going to an auction for one I would take the serial # to a dealer and get a history of the problems it has experienced. Run a car fax to verify a good title. Make sure the top functions up and down a few times. Check the drivers side well in the truck for water damage.
Saying you owned a vett I would guestion how much performance means to you. If that is important I would hunt down a XLR V. Also keep in mind GM is having a problem supplying parts in case of an accident. I have seen a few XLR'S totaled by th insurance companies with little collisions
V Happy:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Thanx for the advise...much appreciated! :)

I usually try autotrader.com or cars.com to get a feel for pricing. Right now it seems prices are a little bit all over the place - some overprice because they're rare, some dealerships underprice because they clearly have no idea what they have on hand, seems prices are higher in sunshine states, etc. - but it will give you a feel.

I know how much you can check a car out at auction can often be pretty limited. So, I'm not sure that would be my choice of venues for a XLR, unless it was a really rare version that condition wouldn't matter for (like the one-off '09 white & black diamond V's). These cars have a lot of complex electronic & computer items so I would really want to check though everything to be sure it was working - because when it's repair time the fact that they were originally $80k+ cars can come into play & the cost can get up there. There are some good threads on here that give more details on all the different things to look for.

That said, there's plenty of folks here who have bought one pretty much sight unseen & had it shipped to them (including one of ours, though we got the service records & had it inspected first), & everything turned out relatively ok. So have fun & let us know if you pull the trigger!

I usually try autotrader.com or cars.com to get a feel for pricing. Right now it seems prices are a little bit all over the place - some overprice because they're rare, some dealerships underprice because they clearly have no idea what they have on hand, seems prices are higher in sunshine states, etc. - but it will give you a feel.

I know how much you can check a car out at auction can often be pretty limited. So, I'm not sure that would be my choice of venues for a XLR, unless it was a really rare version that condition wouldn't matter for (like the one-off '09 white & black diamond V's). These cars have a lot of complex electronic & computer items so I would really want to check though everything to be sure it was working - because when it's repair time the fact that they were originally $80k+ cars can come into play & the cost can get up there. There are some good threads on here that give more details on all the different things to look for.

That said, there's plenty of folks here who have bought one pretty much sight unseen & had it shipped to them (including one of ours, though we got the service records & had it inspected first), & everything turned out relatively ok. So have fun & let us know if you pull the trigger!

Thanx!

I recently bought my 09 and for what I have seen an 05 41,000 I would think somewhere 30 or below just my thoughts... Good luck

Short of meeting/chatting with the current owner,,,,

quote by V Happy: ",,,I would take the serial # (VIN#) to a dealer and get a history of the problems (if any) it has experienced. Run a car fax to verify a good title.

Short of meeting/chatting with the current owner,,,I agree the above is excellent advice. If the car has had over 2 private owners of record,,,I'd pass on buying. From that limited info on the Mecum link provided.....that '05 appears to be a very nice one.
Oh BTW,,,,the XLR's are for the most part, an excellent car!

Be aware that a lot of XLRs were leased when new, due to the high purchase price. Quite often, they were then sold when they came off lease. Some were sold by the local dealer and others at dealer auctions, which were then sold to individuals.

It's not unusual to see what appears to be multiple owners. A large percentage of XLR owners on this site did not purchase them new. The service history will tell you more about the car than anything else.

These cars are very technically complex and require special care, but they will reward you with a lot of fun and driving enjoyment!

Good luck!

Last edited:
If it's in excellent condition, don't offer more than $20k; there will be others.

CC :wave:

Buying an XLR

Be aware that a lot of XLRs were leased when new, due to the high purchase price. Quite often, they were then sold when they came off lease. Some were sold by the local dealer and others at dealer auctions, which were then sold to individuals.

It's not unusual to see what appears to be multiple owners. A large percentage of XLR owners on this site did not purchase them new. The service history will tell you more about the car than anything else.

These cars are very technically complex and require special care, but they will reward you with a lot of fun and driving enjoyment!

Good luck!

There is a Chalet Red one for sale in the Toronto Ontario area for $60,000 CDN$ Deduct 20% for U$.
There is a grey or gray one for sale in Texas for 60,000U$. Both are V models. Cdn one has low mileage I am told.
Email me for more info.

Regards, Gord.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry